I got my original 56-56 1860 Spencer back!

Started by Tuolumne Lawman, March 19, 2007, 01:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuolumne Lawman

Howdy to the camp!

Well I had a great weekend.  It is kinda complicated, so bear with me!

I was talking with my pard, Hanging Judge Hemp, that I sold my first spencer to (it was a pimp gun - I'll explain later). Several years ago I had an opportunity for another 1860 original (non-pimp gun) that I wanted more, so I had sold my pimp gun 1860 to him.  When I say it was a pimp gun, it has some chrome and gold plated parts, and a re-blued receiver.  The bore is mint, though, stock is sound, and it shoots great with a BAC breech block.  He had several, already, and liked how this one shot.  Well, over the intervening years I ended up with a Taylor's Spencer instead of the 2nd original (long story!)

Well as I was saying, Saturday I was talking to Judge, and mentioned that I was not going to need my "war-pig" (Kel-Tec SU-16 5.56mm that takes AR mags - ugly as a pig, but with it being reliable as hell and shooting 1.5" groups at 100 yards, you could fight a war.), because I am moving out of the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia to Illinois where I can have ARs again.  He was very interested, and after some negotiation, I traded the SU16 and a case of LC-06 M193 ball for the Spencer.

I got back the 1860 Spencer pimp gun (with the BAC center-fire block), 50 rounds of 56-56 brass, a set of dies, and the Rapine mold in the trade.

Granted, it is still ugly, but DAMN it can shoot!  It is smooth as silk when you work the action.

These pictures were taken at High Sierra Shootout either May of 2001 or 2002, if I remember right.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Tuolumne Lawman

I forgot.  The serial number is #53109, 22 inch barrel, Spencer markings, and of course the caliber is "the No. 56 Army and Navy Cartridge"

I checked earlier posts, but can't find any info on this serial number range.  I am guessing 1864.  Anyone have answers?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Fox Creek Kid

That gun is a PEFECT candidate to be re-done per original (no offense to the "pimp gun" look). Imagine REAL case coloring on a REAL Spencer with a great bore!

Deadeye Don

Its so hard being a pimp...so hard being a pimp.   ;D  Congrats on getting your treasure back.  I have to admit, I have never seen a Spencer quite like that before!!  Safe shooting.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Tuolumne Lawman

It was probably hanging on the wall in some American Legion or GAR hall!  When I first got it, it only came with the original breech block.. I got it because it was the only Spencer I could afford (I think I paid $900 or $950 inccluding shipping.  It wasn't until after I got it and saw the pristine bore, put the centerfire breechblock in, and fired it that I realized what a prize it was.  I still thought it was ugly, but it could shoot.

As the years have passed, however, I have realized that it is a classy Spencer.  It is a true piece of Civil War history. even if it is a pimp gun now!   I have been bugging Mike for several years, and finally I had something he wanted.

I plan on having the parts stripped of chrome (anyone know how) and re-blues, and eventually have Turnbull or someone case color the receiver.  I figure its original finish has long been replaced.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Forty Rod

Go B Cowboy and doll yourself up to match the gun.  I can find you some sequins somewhere.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Tuolumne Lawman

Well, as soon as I got home (actually after about 1 1/2 hours of ranch chores) I shot the 1860.

First let me say that when I shot it regularly, it only had a period buckhorn rear sight.  It was perfectly regulated to 2" high at 25 yards.  JUst before I sold it, I replaced the rear sight with an original 1860 sight from Lodgewood (?).  It then shot 8" high at 25 yards!  I sold it before reworking the front sight. Back then I did, however, hit a 275 yard buffalo gong 6 of 7 at Ione by aiming at the top of the buffalo, using the battle sight and low blade.

Today, I took some rounds down and tried it out.  It was windy, the sun was in my eyes so I only set up at the measure 25 yards range.  First group from a dry barrel was 1 1/4" for a three shot group.  Later I got a 1" group.  Not bad for am original Civil War 1860 Spencer, 145 years old!

The original blade is brass, and almost non-existent. By my calculation, I will start with a blade that is .2 inch higher.

formula:

25 yards x 36" equals 900 inches.

the sight radius is 17.25 inch.  so 900/17.25 = 52.2 sight radius. 

Divide the 8 inch elevation by 52.2 equals .1532 inch I need to raise it.  Therefore I'l star with .20 inch higher to be safe.

MY load was the Rapine 535/375 heeled bullet, BAC 56-56 brass (reworked Bell 50-57) 39 grains volume Hodgdon 777 FFG (compressed 1/8") with either a CCI or Winchester magnum rifle primer. I painteddd about a 1/4 inch band of Lee Alox lube around the thickest part of the bullet, including the small grease groove.  This would not be enough with real BP, but works great with the 777.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Henry4440

Quote from: Tuolumne Lawman on March 19, 2007, 01:10:36 PM

Look at that face.What a big smile.And his sparkling eyes.A big boy with his favorite toy. ;D
Great looking rifle.
;)

Tuolumne Lawman

You know, that guy kinda looks like Tom Berringer as TR in Rough Riders, or so I have been told! <g>
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Tuolumne Lawman

well, I made a new front sight last night.  Guess I will have to shoot it again tonight to sight it in. Oh DARN! <g>
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Henry4440

Quote from: Tuolumne Lawman on March 20, 2007, 10:12:20 AM
You know, that guy kinda looks like Tom Berringer as TR in Rough Riders, or so I have been told! <g>
Bernie, as TR! Oh, a new candidate for the White House?
;)

Fox Creek Kid

matt45

Congrats- an old good looking war rifle for a new ugly war rifle ;D

Since you're doing sights, how close do the Armi-sports sights match to the original? ???

Tuolumne Lawman

Quote from: matt45 on March 20, 2007, 06:07:24 PM
Congrats- an old good looking war rifle for a new ugly war rifle ;D

Since you're doing sights, how close do the Armi-sports sights match to the original? ???

Here are the original sights and Taylor's side by side.  The original is on the right.  I had to open the notch on the original, as it was TINY!  The Armo Sport sight is as good as the original.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com