Help , Leather choice

Started by harpman, March 11, 2007, 10:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harpman

OK, I mad a harmonica belt for gigs. Now I am ready to try a holster..I got a few books..Am getting tools, question is, what  ounce should I go with ?...I am thinking about getting a whole side veggy tan, top grade "A" quality..can you gents recomend the best place online, price wise for top grade side ?...I did check the links in the sticky, and was amazed that the prices were like half what Tandy has..is this the same quality leather ?...any help would be great.
I made this about 10 years ago, from a piece some guy gave me, and tools around the house.

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice rig. A bandoleer full of tunes. I like it.

For holsters, I use 8-9oz.

Any of the suppliers recommended are going to sell you leather that is good.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

harpman

Thanks, Should I use the same thing for the belt ?

Marshal Will Wingam

I use the same leather for belts and holsters, assuming single thickness on both. If it is going to be a money belt, then you'd want to go thinner. I haven't made any money belts, but some of the pards here do great with them.

harpman

looking at the 8-10 oz veg side at demmer for 72 bucks, think thats as good as tandy 9/10 oz ? for  (167.00)..demmer doesnt say if it has marks or brand spots..so I dont know...I'm looking to make a holster or two and a scabbord for my sharps rifle all out of the same piece....Thanks for helping me out too Marsharl

Marshal Will Wingam

I don't know either supplier's quality so I can't advise you on that. Maybe someone else here has bought from them.

Springfield Slim

Tandy has 10-11 oz leather for 80.00 for half a hide also. I go to the store in person to hand pick my hides. Sometimes the cheaper ones are better than the more expensive ones.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

knucklehead

I use 8-9 oz leather for my holsters and belts.
If the holster and belt get lined i will line the 8-9 oz leather with 1-2 oz leather.

I can get 2 belts and 4 skirted holsters out of the double shoulder leather hide from leather factory.
It usually runs about $80.00 for me. I usually get the b grade leather. the b grade leather is great for antique staining due to the imprefections in the hide.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Trailrider

Quote from: Springfield Slim on March 21, 2007, 11:27:29 AM
Tandy has 10-11 oz leather for 80.00 for half a hide also. I go to the store in person to hand pick my hides. Sometimes the cheaper ones are better than the more expensive ones.

Howdy, Pard,

Leather quality can be quite variable, no matter where you buy it.  The advantage to buying locally from Tandy/Leather Factory Stores (they are the same outfit nowadays) is that you can pick out the best piece of leather they have in stock.  You MAY be able to get better quality from other out-of-town sources.  The problem there is that you don't know what they will ship until you get it, and will have to pay the shipping one way, if it is acceptable, and both ways if you return the leather.  In addition, SOME outfits have minimum orders of 8-10 sides per order!  :o  For one-man operations such as myself, it just doesn't pay! 

So far as ordering a "half-side" is concerned, you probably won't have enough usable leather that is long enough for a belt.  Tandy/LFS may have pre-cut straps for belts, but if you want an extra-wide one (2-1/2 inches, for example), they usually don't have them.  They MAY cut wider blanks for you at an extra charge.

Yes, I recommend using 8-9 oz. for unlined holsters (except for heavy-duty hunting rigs, where I use 10-11 oz for the bodies), and 8-9 oz works fine for belts, as well.  (For the uninitiated an "ounce" = 1/64th inch in thickness.  So 8-9 oz varies between 1/8" and 9/64".  Some sides may run heavy or light, so ask the dealer to gage a piece in which you are interested.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Slowhand Bob

Trailrider speaks with the tongue of truth.  You are way ahead when looking at what you want to buy.  I do order by mail often, out of neccessity, but try to save my big buys for a trip to the Atlanta Tandy Store.
My favorite cut is the double shoulders Oak Leaf for general work and their 9/10oz double bend for belts, with or without liner.  Last trip down I broke two bundles and selected five hides out of the ten that I considered up to the advertised grade.  I considered two of the rejected hides to be equivilant to their lowest Crafstman Oak brand.  Not to be knocking Tandy as I have received large, for me anyway, orders of highly touted leather from well known supply houses and received worse.  I'm sure it helps to have a working relationship with someone on the inside but my needs never seem to warrant anyone remembering me!!!

Prices do go down with large quantity orders.  The hobby store prices are very high for sure.  A first holster, like nice furniture, costs more to make than to buy ready made. 

Marshal Will Wingam

When hand-picking hides, I look at the smooth side for blemishes and nicks. Then I flip it over and run my hand across it to feel for irregularities. A good hide will be nice and smooth without lumps, low spots or rough spots.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com