kirst conversion cylinder .45lc

Started by knucklehead, March 09, 2007, 09:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucklehead

My kirst conversion cylinder .45lc showed up in the mail last monday. I quickly installed it and headed to the firing range to test it out.

I grabbed my full house smoke loads of .45 lc and a box of the cowboy 45 special loads.
I was pleasantly suprised at the light recoil with the full house .45 lc loads.
there was very little recoil with the cowboy 45 special loads.

and yes i hit the target every time.

I took my brother inlaw with me.He has very little experience with shooting. He has only shot a revolver 1 time about a year ago when i dragged him out to the gun range. He has never shot black powder guns. He actually hit the target with his first shot.
It was at that time that i noticed that a grin appeared on his face   and it was a mile long grin.

yep its true shootin black powder puts a grin on your face whether you shootin it or watchin it.
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Dalton Masterson

What gun ya got it in? My 1860 R&D will be here tomorrow I hope! DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

knucklehead

pietta remmington 1858 old silver 44 cal 7 1/2" barrel

you can see a picture at the following link:

http://www.fcsutler.com/p58remoldsilver.jpg

I purchased this last year at $330.00 now the handgun is at $375.00.
I have yet to find this handgun at another retailler.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Halfway Creek Charlie

I just put a 44 Rem/Colt C.F. R & D(I didn't know they made them either.)  drop-in into an original Remy and she rocks and rolls! Everything aligned and timed to perfection. This a a 5 digit Remy made just after the transition from Old Model parts to New Model Army. This is shown with the original Gunsmith Conversion cylinder in it.

I also shoot another original 5 Digit Remy Armory Conversion to 44 Rem/Colt C.F. and she Rocks and Rolls too.

I just received this morning, a consectutive S/N pair of Pietta 1851
Navy's (2004) that I have one drop-in R & D cylinder for. These may be too pretty to convert. Boy are they nice and they were used on GB they have action jobs and look like new.
I've named them Thelma & Louise
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Dalton Masterson

Pretty nice pistolas! Nice engraving on Old Silver! Would snatch that up in a hearbeat! DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Dick Dastardly

Howdy Knucklehead,

Yer shootn' irons and ammo are a lot like mine.  I've got a brace of ROAs with both the original C&B cylinders and Kirst Konverters.  They shoot rite and hit where they look.  Love that new C45Spl load with the EPP-UG in it.  Hits the same place as the big 45 Colt and 250 grain PRS rounds.  You'll take the KDs down.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

knucklehead

DD,

I have a ruger old army stainless fixed sights with the kirst conversion and the 1858 rem

the old army just loves the 45 special ammo, execpt i am using a 200 grain pill.

i did not shoot the 45 special very much with the 58 rem due to darkness coming too fast that nite.
i am not sure how the 58 rem will do with the 45 special. it does great with the 45lc full house loads though
I just got the holster finished for the ruger old army. today i will be working on the holster for the 58 rem.
its going to be a cross draw style.

those are some great looking guns Halfway Creek Charlie
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Halfway Creek Charlie

Knucklehead,

Thanks for the flowers.
I like them a bunch. The new Navy's are growing on me and I can't wait to shoot them.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Adirondack Jack

Quote from: knucklehead on March 10, 2007, 10:26:53 AM
DD,

I have a ruger old army stainless fixed sights with the kirst conversion and the 1858 rem

the old army just loves the 45 special ammo, execpt i am using a 200 grain pill.

i did not shoot the 45 special very much with the 58 rem due to darkness coming too fast that nite.
i am not sure how the 58 rem will do with the 45 special. it does great with the 45lc full house loads though
I just got the holster finished for the ruger old army. today i will be working on the holster for the 58 rem.
its going to be a cross draw style.

those are some great looking guns Halfway Creek Charlie

Glad to hear the C 45 S is working for ya, Ed.  I'm torn myself between a 200 and the EPP UG.  They both work real well.  If lead keeps going up, the EPP will win out just for economy :)
(I git a kick out of finding these tidbits buried in posts about other stuff  :)  )
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

knucklehead

Adirondack Jack

thanks for designing the cowboy 45 special and making them a reality.
It would be great if someone would design a set of dies for these shells.
I know that i can use the 45 long colt and 45 acp dies to load these shells. its just that it would be easier to have a set just for the cowboy specials shells.
food for thought....

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Dick Dastardly

Howdy Knucklehead,

LEE Precision will sell you a set of 45 ACP dies with a 45 Colt shell holder.  That's all that's needed.  Give LEE a call and they will swap the shell holders and send the set along to you.  I do agree that they should then be labeled Cowboy 45 Special tho. . .

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Adirondack Jack

I have talked to Lee about this.  I'd like to see a die set that is a "short .45 Colt" die set as well, specifically set up for the C 45 S.  They will do it, AAMOF they will make any die ya want, but the cost gets up there a bit.  Since all of us using the C 45 S brass already have .45 Colt dies, and since probably half of us already have .45 ACP, and the other half can get the ACP dies dirt cheap from Midway or other suppliers of Lee dies, it just doesn't make sense to pay the costs for a dedicated die set at this time.

Now maybe as we gain traction, and sell a whole bunch more brass, Lee can be persuaded that a dedicated offering without going the special order route is in their interest.....
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Bryan Austin

Quote from: Adirondack Jack on March 11, 2007, 11:24:47 AM
I have talked to Lee about this.  I'd like to see a die set that is a "short .45 Colt" die set as well, specifically set up for the C 45 S.  They will do it, AAMOF they will make any die ya want, but the cost gets up there a bit.  Since all of us using the C 45 S brass already have .45 Colt dies, and since probably half of us already have .45 ACP, and the other half can get the ACP dies dirt cheap from Midway or other suppliers of Lee dies, it just doesn't make sense to pay the costs for a dedicated die set at this time.

Now maybe as we gain traction, and sell a whole bunch more brass, Lee can be persuaded that a dedicated offering without going the special order route is in their interest.....

Would this be the same specs as the 45 Colt Government?  ;D
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

Dick Dastardly

Howdy Jack,

The internal volume and case diameter are, for our purposes, the same.  That means that good target loads for the 45 ACP should transpose to C45Spl.  My personal load for this brass is 1.3cc FFFg Holy Black under the EPP-UG bullet.  It is very quick, recoil is minimal and smoke is plentiful.  I shot that load last weekend at 'Fire in the Hills' Wisconsin State SASS championship match where I took 1st in FCGF.  Yup, I got wood.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com