New Holster pattern

Started by Marshal Will Wingam, March 03, 2007, 07:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Will Wingam

Well, thanks to Paladin's new rig, I decided to come up with a new pattern for a decent half-skirted Mexican Loop holster based on the one in Packing Iron on page 101. It's a good one. Forgive the belly leather I used for it and the shoddy workmanship, but I didn't want to put a lot of effort into a test rig. the border is just a double stitch groove zipped around the thing. There are a couple adjustments I intend to make on the pattern and then I'll have the design for my new holsters. Here's a before and after picture of it. Oh, yeah, I stamped a brand stamp on the loop but it got lost so I found one of the nuts for my Dillon Press and banged that on there for a border.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Silver Creek Slim

Very nice design, pard.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Sod Buster

SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Ozark Tracker

Will, that is a good looking holster,
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Tensleep

Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Wymore Wrangler

Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

buck

sheesh marshal!  If that is "your shoddy work"  I can't wait to see your " good" work!  You have a talent... thats for sure! :)

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks, pards. I've modified the pattern in a couple places and will make a pair of them for my main match rig. There are a couple items I need before I start on it. I also have to come up with a good design that isn't too ornate but that will accent the overall shape. I'll be sure to post pics when they're finished.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Great work Marshal; 

I like that pattern a lot, and so does El Paso Saddlery, as THE DODGE CITY RIG.  I went to the H. Keller pattern, page 98, for my pair of 1851 5 1/2" conversions.  Where I differ from the Marshal, is that I am quite an amateur and no threat to his bragging rights.

Marshal.  Your first pattern shows a more prominent oval back flap.  I hope you didn't trim it down, as it looks even bettern than the original.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Sir Charles deMoutonBlack on March 04, 2007, 01:46:07 PMGreat work Marshal; 

I like that pattern a lot, and so does El Paso Saddlery.  I went to the H. Keller pattern, page 98, for my pair of 1851 5 1/2" conversions.  Where I differ from the Marshal, is that I am quite an amateur and no threat to his bragging rights.

Marshal.  Your first pattern shows a more prominent oval back flap.  I hope you didn't trim it down, as it looks even bettern than the original.
Thanks, pard. No threat, I just like to do these things. I could buy some, but then I'd rob myself of the chance to put my own touch on them.

I did leave the skirt the same size. One adjustment was change the angle of the skirt leather so the holster would hang straight down. The test holster hangs off about 5° and makes a good cross-draw. I also modified the toe of the pouch to give it a little slimmer look. I'll also sew the strap on a little differently next time and use German silver engraved Chicago Screws instead of el cheapo speedy rivets (which I goobered anyway with sloppy hammering). I could use the correct coper rivets, but want a little more decorative look.

later:00

I looked up the pattern you mentioned on page 98. I like it. It has an interesting curve at the top. Nice choice.

Johnny McCrae

Hello Marshal,

Beautiful work and a great design!

When you make your final holsters, will you dye the inside of the pouch or leave it natural?

Also where can one purchase German Silver Engraved Chicago Screws?

I'm making one for a friend similar to the "Shane" Holster as shown in the winter issue of "Guns of the West"
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Nolan Sackett

Howdy Will - Nice piece! I've always liked that Rice original

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on March 04, 2007, 01:04:55 PM
I also have to come up with a good design that isn't too ornate but that will accent the overall shape.
I've done a  carved verison in this pattern with a "period" style carving and probably still have the carving pattern - if you're interested drop me an email and I'll see if I can't dig it up..........
aka Chuck Burrows
Frontier Knifemaker & Leather Smith

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Johnny McCrae on March 04, 2007, 07:28:25 PM
Hello Marshal,

Beautiful work and a great design!

When you make your final holsters, will you dye the inside of the pouch or leave it natural?

Also where can one purchase German Silver Engraved Chicago Screws?

I'm making one for a friend similar to the "Shane" Holster as shown in the winter issue of "Guns of the West"
Thanks, pard. I haven't decided whether to dye the inside of the final pair. I should make some dye like Nolan does for them.

Here is one source for the screws: Montana Leather I'm sure others here may have better sources. I've been working my way through a bag of them and will need to re-stock one of these days.

Be sure to post a photo of the holster when you're done.

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Nolan Sackett on March 04, 2007, 09:21:58 PMHowdy Will - Nice piece! I've always liked that Rice original
I've done a  carved verison in this pattern with a "period" style carving and probably still have the carving pattern - if you're interested drop me an email and I'll see if I can't dig it up..........
I'll send you an email. Thanks. do you have a good supplier for the engraved Chicago Screws (3/8" dia, 1/4" post).

Johnny McCrae

Hi Marshall,

Many thanks for the reply and the link to Montana Leather.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Shotgun Steve

Cool pattern and a nice looking rig Marshal, Thanks for
sharing it with us.

Shotgun Steve
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Marshal Will Wingam

Glad to help, Johnny. I used to get them from our local tannery, but they went out of business a number of years ago. I'll be needing some soon, too.

Thanks, Steve.

Irish Dave

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

outrider

Quote from: Sir Charles deMoutonBlack on March 04, 2007, 01:46:07 PM
Great work Marshal; 

I like that pattern a lot, and so does El Paso Saddlery, as THE DODGE CITY RIG.  I went to the H. Keller pattern, page 98, for my pair of 1851 5 1/2" conversions.  Where I differ from the Marshal, is that I am quite an amateur and no threat to his bragging rights.

Hey Marshal...great looking gun sleeve.  I just made one for a pard here in Tenn.   Don't want to sound stupid...but who is H. Keller???
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I never met the man myself.  Apparently he was a maker in Corpus Christi, Texas between 1875 and 1880, and he made the holster for an 1861 conversion Colt pictured on page 98 of PACKING IRON.

Nolan Sacket made a very good interpretation of it, as shown in his 2006 gallery.   He calls it "Gunrig 1880 Texas 001".
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com