help dried shot shells in oven - resolved - I am healed!!

Started by Pony Racer, February 27, 2007, 03:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pony Racer

Pards and pardettes dried my shells in oven laying down last night not remembering that my brass shells have a plastic collar in the very bottom.

In some the collar got a little melted but still place and in others it melted to make a glob in the shell.

The collar does not have to be there - what is easiest way to get it out?

A lesson in taking things a little slower definitely learned - tried to do too many things last night while I dried my shells from the shooting weekend.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Dick Dastardly

If it were me,  I'd let heat do the rest of the work.  I'd take one of my worse case pieces and heat it till the plastic ran out and take notes.  Then, if I were successful, I'd do maybe five more according to my notes.  If that works, I'd do the remainder and report back here on how it went.

Thanks for the tip.  I'm not goin' to be dryin' my spendy brass hulls in the oven after reading this.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Stacey Lee

How about some ACID ? Shouldn't hurt the brass but I know it'll hurt the plastic in a good way.
May want to stop at Safeway tonight for TV dinners, your oven privelidges are probably cut-off now, unless your lucky enough to be single? But maybe thats why your single? Hmmm? LOL !!

Sincerely, Stacey Lee ;D

Dick Dastardly

I'm thinkn' Stacey Lee is on to something here.  Acid may attack the brass, but organic solvents probably won't.  I'd try acetone or MEK.  Use good ventilation and avoid flames cuz both are flammable.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

El Peludo

Try jumpin' that stuff with some of the various solvent/cleaners, like Kroil, or Marvels Mystery Oil, or even carb/brake cleaner.  Squirt a bit in there, let it set a while, and go to diggin' with something sharp; it might just pop right loose.  That's my first thought on it, anyhow.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Pony Racer

Thanks Pards and pardettes.

I will work at them.

SL - no oven privileges have been revoked - there was not even a smell of melting plastic.  I think the ones on the side just folded over enough then to heat to a glob.  But nothing got on cookie sheets or the oven.

BTW I am not single - my wife is a State troopers daughter is gun friendly.  Thanks for the ideas though!!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

hellgate

Pony,
Is the primer flash hole covered? Is the plastic glob still solidly in the case? Were they deprimed? If so, you might just be able to drill a flash hole pathway and shoot them as is. You might be able to run them through the deprimer/sizer and then open up the primer flash pathway from the back with a drill bit. The big concern I see is a glob loosening up and becoming a bore obstruction.

The solvents are not likely to work as the plastics are pretty impervious to chemicals. I see a bigger mess there.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Arcey

Gun stuff doesn't belong in ovens any more than they belong in dishwashers.  Someday, someone who styles hisownself as 'knowledgeable' gonna put a live round in an oven.

But, since ya already started it, stick 'em back in there 'n finish the process.  Then go forth 'n sin no more..............
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Tricky Trina

Arcey - you kill me!!  Bah ha ha ha!!   Sin no more.....  Bah ha ha ha!!   ;D
...and she rides into the SMOKEY sunset on her favorite, half-fast horse, Totally Clueless    Thanks Arcey, Tensleep, Wildcat Will and Querida Kate!!!

Arcey

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Pony Racer

Pards and pardettes I am SAVED!!

An old shotgun reloader I got from a good friend did the job for me.

Some collars stayed in with new flash holes - same principle as you discussed hellgate

Some came out after primer was dislodged.

Took a little elbow grease on my part but now the shells are deprimed and being scrubbed by walnut media in my
"shaker do-dad" thing.

I have been HEALED and will SIN no more....well at least with guns - oh wait, I did not really want to go there either:)!!
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Sod Buster

Quote from: Pony Racer on February 27, 2007, 07:31:01 PM
I have been HEALED and will SIN no more....well at least with guns - oh wait, I did not really want to go there either:)!!

Are  you also HEELED?
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Dick Dastardly

Fantazmagorical!  A solution for a truly ugly situation is found and the brass for the Holy Black is revived.  Let the white smoke roll.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Stacey Lee

Glad to hear that it wasn't a loss or damge to the shells either. Nice !!!

LSD ( acid ) wouldn't have done you much good anyway, you sound like your enlightened enough just hanging around this board. LOL !!! ha ha ha , I kill me !!! Some here might actually like that ? ;D
Unlike some peoples opinions here, ovens are a great medium for baking parts for temper, parkerizing, paints, getting the very last of your Cosmoline soaked parts cleaned up, and many many other reasons too, you justs to be carefull is all, and yes, have a really cool mate!!! God has a way of taking care of the too smart or too stupid people as it were, by punishing them with their owne smart-stupidity like putting live shells in the oven as was mentioned ???? God forbid that ever happens, but am sure it has. Another good reason to not drink !!! Especailly while GUNNING anything . Theres a place for Mr. Jim Beam but it aint while baking shells obviously.

Cherrios , Stacey Lee

Nice you got a cool wife, my mate can also concure with that fact. :o

Cheers, Stacey Lee

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com