1860 R&D cyl,45 round ball load??

Started by HANCOCK, February 24, 2007, 07:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HANCOCK

I believe that somewhere on this forum that I read where a guy was loading round balls into 45 Colt cases for use in an 1860 with R&D conversion cyl.
After thinking about this for a while , it finally made sense. An 1860 c&b is pretty used to having a round ball of .454-.457 sent down the barrel, so why not just keep doing so with the conversion cyl in placed??  Maybe I'm "preachin to the choir" here, maybe this is a common thing, but I have one of those brains where you have to pour the information in slow, I guess.
Has anyone tried this , if so , could you please give a few particulars about assembling these loads, and how they work??

Thanks
Kip

John Henry Goins

I have loaded roundball in 45 cases for afew years in 1858 Remington with a R&D cylinder. I load with 30gr. of powder top with corn
meal and a wonder wad,crimpping the ball with more of the ball in the case than out.

Grapeshot

When I had a Remington 1858 with the R&D Conversion cylinder, I shortened 100 Remington Nickled .45 Colt cases to .45 Schofield length and loaded those up with BP as well as APP with a .454 round ball on top and crimped just over the curverature of the ball.

They shot real well.  I first had lubed the balls with Lee's liquid Alox and then let them dry before loading them in the cases.

With the Black Powder, I added a squirt of BP Lube in the cylinder mouths to help keep everything lubricated and loose.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Halfway Creek Charlie

I was sitting there yesterday looking at my 1851 Navy R & D Drop-In conversion cylinder . Thinking of using .375 Balls in 38 spl. cases and wondering if I can do it. I figure to resize cartridges after loading. I'll dop some Bore Butter in the chambers and go for it.
I think they'll be enough obsturation (sic) to make it work..until I can get my 38 Hollow based bullets here from Colorado.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

James Blue Lightnin

Hey Halfway ... If your barrel is .357/.358 inside, either sleeved or manufactured, you can use round ball in a .38. .375 ball will not work as they are too big to fit into a .38 case. What does work very well is a .360 round ball !!  The ball squeezes into the .38 case perfectly, and if the ball is soft enough, the case shaves a ring of lead from the ball like a C&B revolver does, creating a tight seal of the ball in the case. I have shot hundreds of these 38's with round ball out of my Ruger Blackhawk, and they are extremely accurate.
James Blue Lightnin'
BOLD #836

Halfway Creek Charlie

Well I loaded 20 38 Spl. tonight with my .375 RB. The case shaved a lead rig off every ball. Looked to be approx. the same as the chamber shaved ring.  After Loading I resized in the 38Spl sizer die and they're good to go. I think the Obstruration (sic) will be fine. I also loaded some hollow based wadcutters in the 38 Spl. cases with 22 Grns FFG Elephant BP. These were all resized after loading too. The round ball load was the same.

I resize them all because the R & D Conversion cylinder is so tight that the cartridges must be resized. We'll see how it shoots.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com