Buffalo Coat - it was GW's fault.

Started by James Hunt, February 22, 2007, 06:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Hunt

It was early Sunday morning and my wife had but a few things to pack before we must leave, so I'd thought I'd stroll over to the convention hall to see if any friends could be found to bid farewell. Drifting to the back of the hall I saw Irish Dave trying to convince a poor vendor that indeed his check was good even if it did have an Indiana address on it, and behind him stood another GLF&M Co suspect known as GW. Beyond them both was that which I had really come to bid farewell to. I was at Terry's Sewing Shop and she had several great coats, a couple of buffalo coats and a horsehide coat. But it was the buffalo hide coat I was really interested in. I know what a decent hide goes for and I never bothered to question her about the price of a finished coat with lining and pockets. I just wanted to stand and stare at it awhile. It was then that GW broke into an malevolent grin and uttered the words, "they are VERY reasonably priced, cheaper than most hides alone".

Without uttering another word he just moved off. But the damage was done, like my wife at a 20% off Nordstrums sale I thought it won't hurt to just try it on. Lord it fit, OK - how much is it. Hey that's not bad, I'll never get a chance at a coat like this again, I'll kick myself all the way home. Two homes, three college educations, maybe 20 minivans, I deserve this! You know the thought process. And so below is the outcome of my weakness

Actually it WAS a great deal. Half of what I have seen these coats go for in the past, and less than well tanned hides. The hide is soft and supple, the lining appears to be a coarse cotton or cotton linen blend. It fits well.

Never-the-less this is not a pistol, no way to conceal the goods from my wife. She smiled as I returned with the huge coat knowing that she would travel all the way home without one snicker from me regarding her Omaha purchases. Damn GW.

I know that she has some coats left - so if you are interested I have the ladies business card, PM me and I'll give you her number.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

River City John

So seeing you in that coat does it mean there will be six more weeks of winter? :D
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Black River Smith

Nice and it's appropriate for your persona.

Very good choice.
Black River Smith

Will Ketchum

James, nice coat!!

Terry is a good friend of mine.  She made my 3 piece suit that I wore to the banquet.

She also sewed all the dresses and uniforms for the wedding I did the write up on for "The Shootist"   She is a nice lady with great prices.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Lone Gunman

Great coat James,

I've had one of those long bay horsehide coats for about 8-9 years, named it Seabiscuit. Last year's convention (4 degrees) was the first time I could wear it outside without sweating. I wouldn't venture to guess how cold it will need to be for that buffalo coat to be comfortable.

Bring it along next year. There's probably 1/2 dozen or more of us with some kind of critter pelt outerwear. I reckon we can get a neat picture if the weather cooperates.

George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Irish Dave

James:

Very handsome indeed.
      ........NO, I mean the coat.   ::)

But what's that sitting on your head.......???  ;D
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

James Hunt

Dave: That is another dead buffalo on my head. The rifle is necessary to carry while wearing the coat as I live but a few miles west of the Peoples Republic of Ann Arbor and the University of Michigan - the orginal training ground for the unibomber - and so must be on constant alert for predatory PETA members.

LG: The long horse hide coat she had there was really beautiful, and I thought of it but just couldn't see myself getting on my aging mare with it - lest she think I may have future plans for her. I thought of saddleing up the pony and taking my picture with this coat on, but lord!!!! How did they do it. It is heavy enough that I'd need a mounting block and a decent push from below. If I pulled on the saddle it and I would be laying beneath the horse. If I used the horse's mane for a pull she and I would be laying on the ground. Maybe that is why buffalo hunters used a wagon and a span of mules.

Will: Indeed Terry seems friendly and her sewing seems top notch. She is also making me a pillow ticking shirt.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA

gw

Lookin' good James! At least you had the decency to wear it yourself---ran into a couple leaving the show who I had talked to earlier that day---SHE had on  another buffalo coat from Terry----asked her how SHE liked it----SHE replied that it was for HIM and HE didn't want to carry it!! ;D ;D
         Actually it was a GREAT Price and I was even tempted to replace my aging old shaggy, but reason prevailed. ;) I need to get the lining replaced and a couple of seams resewn in mine. If I remember correctly, Terry said she had more of these coats left.....so anyone wanting one had better give her a call.
      By the way James, now all you need is a matching pair of gauntlet shooting mittens! ::)
NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

Chase

James,

GW has a subtle way in his influential behavior.  Last year at a shoot, he was brandishing a Colt conversion copy near me and lo and behold, I have one now!  Irish Dave has the same influence on his unsuspecting victims, I like sheriff's models now, along with S&W Russians and shoulder holsters and........
Hey, nonetheless, you look like you are in your element with that handsome coat  and cap.  Just don't bend over too far and grunt loudly,  I hear that those Michigan hunters  wouldn't hesitate to go hunting the 'ole tatanka.

I really enjoyed conversing with you at the NCOWS banquet, you and your wife were a great addition to our table.  Hope to see you at a shoot sometime this spring or summer.
Chase
NCOWS
NRA
VisionQuest '87 PA to FL via covered wagon
"If everything isn't black and white, I say, "Why the hell not?"--John Wayne

James Hunt

Sir Philip: Indeed it was great to meet you! My wife continually commented on how cordial every one at your table was, and you guy's really are! Of course I said nothing about anyone's past - no need to upset her. ;D

Yes both GW and Dave have that subtle southern Indiana easy going way of suggesting you into financial peril. Yet I'm glad GW said something or else I would still be wondering how much those coats were and wishing I had one. So I appreciated it.

I fondly remember the few times I got to Modoc, and hope that I can at least do that once before the mounted shooting season starts, I really enjoyed your group. Both Montery Jack Brass and I would like to bring a few guy's from Michigan down there who are very interested in our time period, we think it would be a treat for them.

Anyway, it was great to meet you. Just keep an eye on your money clip down there. ::)
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA

Forty Rod

Here in California I have about as much use for that kind of coat as a pig has for a side saddle.

DANG!!!  I'm really envious.  It's gorgeous!
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Irish Dave

QuoteYes both GW and Dave have that subtle southern Indiana easy going way of suggesting you into financial peril.

Yes, James, but where were you when it was your turn, huh?   ;D
I mean where were you when I was dithering over George Warnick's Schofield? Why weren't you trying to return the favor and talk me into purchasing peril? As I was, I let it go and Books swapped him out of it instead. Probably a mistake on my part

And the pic of you in the coat with that animal on your head...? Well, I'm thinking Cover Shot for next fall when the weather turns cold again. 
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Books OToole

G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Ottawa Creek Bill

James,
Good looking coat......could I ask you to e-mail the price to me?

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

gw

James---I can only suggest that you might want to go to a really big gun show with us sometime! I mean, what are friends for?....we'll find you a great deal on the firearm of your dreams...the kind legends are made of.....you bring the cash and we'll do the rest! ;D
   But seriously, a good deal on something you NEED will always be a good deal even if you find out later you didn't really NEED it!... or something to that effect. ??? The Loiusville show just happened this weekend, can we plan on the next one? By the way, I like your hat..... regardless of what it is! :o  All you need to complete the outfit are some shooting mitts and your Sharps,or a new Ballard, or maybe a new Roller, or how about a Maynard? Let us know when you'll be here for the next show. :oWe always stand ready to help a friend in NEED !!! ;)
NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

James Hunt

My retirement plan see's me taking it easy at age 67. It used to be 62, and then it was 65. Attending gun shows with friends like this may mean pushing it to 72 for the first show alone. Of course if I took Books along he'd be working those deals ahead of me and I'd come home with a complete set of the Time Life Books on WWII - purchased from him. :-\

Bill: sent you an email.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA

Silver Creek Slim

Congrats, James. Great looking coat.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Trinity

That really is a great looking coat!  I've wanted one of those for quite some time now.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

'Monterrey' Jack Brass

Mr Hunt - I received a pick-up card from the post office in today's mail - it's my buffalo coat. Will pick it up after work Monday - will be worth leaving a few minutes early to make it to the post office on time to get it. Will let you know how the coat is when I open the package. From what Terry (propertier) was saying on the phone it is a full-length one with nice, thick, bark fur. Anticipation...!!!

YMH&OS,

'Monterrey' J. Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

James Hunt

AP wire Detroit March 5, 2007:

Police responded to concerned neighbors at 10:15 pm this evening and arrested a middle aged male found in front of his home in freezing temperatures wrapped in a heavy fur coat. Sitting in the snow with a large heavy unidentified rifle across his legs, a cautious approach by the arresting officer seemed to instigate a malevolent grin and the comment, "keep low, they're just over the rise and if they wind us we won't get a shot off."

Following his release pending an early morning hearing, his attorney simply stated that "he has always been a responsible citizen in the past and I feel it must be work related pressure".

PETA members have been warned to not linger near the area of the arrest.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com