Rubber or Wooden Wagon Wheels?

Started by Johnny Gringo, February 19, 2007, 06:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Gringo

I'm in the planning stages of building my first Guncart and I'm wondering what seems to be the most popular choice out there for wheels-Rubber or Wooden Wagon Wheels? At the shoots that I've gone to so far the Rubber spoked wheels seem to be most the most popular, but I really like the look of the Wooden Wagon Wheels. Aside from the obvious cost difference, what have most of you chosen and why? Also, any sources for the Rubber spoked wheels if I decide to go that way would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance for any comments, etc.

Johnny Gringo
"Give Doc the shotgun-they'll be less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer"...

Silver Creek Slim

I went with pneumatic wheels for their shock absorption properties.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Modoc

I have a set of HARD rubber wirespoke wheels (14") from a lawn mower because they cost me nothing to get.  I do like the Wooden wheel, but budget and ease of procurment have kept me using the lawnmower wheels ::)
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Howdy Doody

I started with pnuematic tires and even though I installed green slime, a puncture proof type stuff I had problems with thorns. Seems where I go to shoot they are in abundance. Pucker bushes we call them. I went to the solid rubber wheels and no more flats, mine are 16", but I have to be careful not to grab the wheels as they are full of sharp stickers. Lot's of folks in my area use the wooden wheels with the steel bank around the edge and they seem to wear just fine. :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

RattlesnakeJack

Well ... I went with wooden wheels for my latest guncart creation (Metis Red River Cart) because I reckoned that rubber wheels woulda looked positively silly ...  ;D   ;)

(Click on thumbnail ...)

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Arcey

Picked up 12" pneumatics from Northern Tool & Equipment.  Black plastic spoke wheels.  You'll see 'em on some commercial carts bein' advertised in various publications caterin' ta CAS.

Ain't done it in awhile but I was buildin' carts for sale to new shooters 'n used the things on those.  Those on my cart are older than the cart I'm usin' them on now.  Built that one in January '03.  Tires are still goin'.

Like Slim said, I think they ride yer stuff easier.  But, it's also been said they will puncture.  My cart is a four wheeler so if one let's go in the course of a shoot, I can move it up front 'n roll the cart on the rears until I load it in the truck to go home.  I gottah spare in the truck too.

They have to be checked for air pressure from time to time, they will leak down.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Chuck Would

Semi Pnumatic.  Cost was the issue.  What ever you do, just remember size matters. :)

I put 16" on my cart and wish they were 20".  Rolls easier.

Hope that helps,

Marauder

It depends a lot on where you shoot.  If you shoot where there are nasty puncture weeds around, you want something solid.  Then wood is a good option or solid rubber as Howdy and others mentioned.

But if you are shooting on rocky soil, that hard wheels make sure your guns and cart take a beating bouncing around.  Then the pneumatic is much nicer.

Johnny Gringo

Thanks, Pards, for all the responses-it looks like I'm going to go with rubber wheels at this point, they just seem to be more practical overall. Sure do like the looks of those wooden wheels though....
"Give Doc the shotgun-they'll be less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer"...

papahoss

Quote from: Johnny Gringo on February 19, 2007, 06:10:24 PM
I'm in the planning stages of building my first Guncart and I'm wondering what seems to be the most popular choice out there for wheels-Rubber or Wooden Wagon Wheels? At the shoots that I've gone to so far the Rubber spoked wheels seem to be most the most popular, but I really like the look of the Wooden Wagon Wheels. Aside from the obvious cost difference, what have most of you chosen and why? Also, any sources for the Rubber spoked wheels if I decide to go that way would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance for any comments, etc.

Johnny Gringo

following up along this same line where is the best place to order 20 inch rubber wheels, or is the obvious answer my local bicycle shop.
thank you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com