Help understanding ballistics

Started by Dutchy Rodell, February 18, 2007, 10:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutchy Rodell

Assumptions:    '1858 Remmie Cap and Ball firing a 454 round ball - 20 grains of 777
                      Gun is mounted on a bench rest and aimed at center of bull's eye
                      No wind
                      Target distance is 7 yards
                      Ball hits 6" below center of target

Question:         If for the second shot, the load is increased to 25 grains, all other thing remaining the same - will the ball impact   
                      above or below the previous point of impact?

w44wcf

Chances are that it will impact either at the same place or slightly lower since the ball, at a higher velocity, will exit the barrel sooner .......when the barrel is lower in recoil.

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Dick Dastardly

Yup, that's the same reason a heavier bullet with the same conditions will likely high higher.  It'll be slower, so the gun barrel will be rising more when the bullet exits.

Seems backwards.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Adirondack Jack

The rhyme to remember is "lighter prints lower, slower prints higher."

at 15 yards, my .45 vaqs.  print to POA with 200s at 650, 250s at 750, and 310s at 1275.

Note how much faster ya gotta shoot the heavier stuff to get em to exit the muzzle at the same point in the recoil arc.  Now the 200 is a puffball, the 250 is modest, and the 310 a monster.  if I slow any of em down, they will shoot high, and the heavier ones will shoot REAAALLLLLLY high.

Speed em up and they shoot really low, especially the lightest ones.  (a 150 at 1200 shoots real low :)  )
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

hellgate

My experience has been light bullets shoot lower than heavier bullets regardless of the powder (smokeless) charge. I was trying to get both a light bullet (113 & 115gr) load that shot to the same POI as my 158gr bullets. No matter what charges I used the heavier bullet always printed higher than the lighter bullet. If memory serves, whether the light & heavy bullets were going fast or slow they still printed heavy high and light low. These were cast lead bullets in the .357 mag.

Using bulky BP or BP subs, there is the weight of the powder to be expelled that can add some weight to the "projectile" (powder and bullet). You can put more powder under a lighter bullet but it wont likely change things a whole lot.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Dutchy Rodell

Thanks for your comments.  If I understand you correctly changing from 20 grains to 15 grains will cause my round ball to hit higher because it is going slower.       Dutchy

hellgate

Dutchy,
Shoot that gun with the load you want to use and then file the front sight down to where you are hitting where you are aiming. Also you will want to shoot the gun freehand either duelist style or with two hands before messing with the sight. You might be surprised as to where it hits when not using a rest. If it is a Pietta there is a lot of front sight to file. I have had to do it with all my Ubertis and formerly owned Pietta Remingtons except the Euroarms guns (3). They all shoot high.

If you shoot a 200gr conical it will shoot higher. That was the case with all my Remingtons.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Griff

What hellgate said.  Sandbags can differ greatly from off-hand.
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Patron

Dutchy Rodell

Actually I have been shooting off hand.  I just used the example of a bench rest so that it would be perfectly clear that the only thing that changes in the number of grains of powder.  Off hand I shoot low with 20 grains.  If I can I would prefer to find a load the will allow me to hit point of aim rather than filing my sights.   Dutchy

Griff

If you were shooting real BP, I'd suggest a significant increase in charge.  According to the Hodgdon's website, 20 grains represents 536fps.  25grs represents 763fps, that's might be significant enough to raise the point of aim.  Sometimes, if you're shooting a very light load, recoil is so slight that you're shooting abnormally low.  If you then bump up the charge into the full charge area, your recoil increases raising the point of aim.

Certainly worth a try.  It's not like it's overly robust for a 1858 Remmie. ;D
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Patron

Silver Creek Slim

I don't know much about 777, but using 30grs of FFFg Goex under a ball in my Piettas gets me as close to POA as I will ever get.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Hellgate has it right;

1.  Don't alter fixed sights until after you have determined, and tested with a field position, your service load.

2.  Move backsight in the direction you want the group to move.

3.  Move frontsight TOWARDS the error.

4.  For pistols, generally (*Always?), the heavier the projectile the higher the rounds will strike. It is a matter of changes in jump from recoil and "barrel time" cancelling each other out.  Velocity changes do not affect the placement of the group, weight does.

PS;  *In my experience it is "Always".  I f you can document anything different I would be delighted to hear about it.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Delmonico

I'll add this also since many don't think about it either, a different shooter with a different hold and even different eyes will also often change point of impact.  YThis is true with both rifles and handguns and can really show up on a scoped rifle. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

We've been around and around the block on this one. Does a faster bullet get out of the barrel before the muzzle lifts as high? Does the heavier recoil from the higher powder charge lift the muzzle high enough to raise the point of impact before the bullet escapes?

My own personal experience is that with identical bullets, in the same gun, heavier powder charges raise the point of impact every time. Regardless of how fast the bullet is getting out of the barrel, when I increase the powder charge, recoil has been increased enough to raise the point of impact.  That has been my experience.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

john boy

QuoteGun is mounted on a bench rest and aimed at center of bull's eye
Dutchy, to simulate shooting offhand using a rest (sand bags) ... hold the revolver Traditional 2 handed style and place the back of one hand on top of the sandbag.  This will allow the muzzle to rise
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Adirondack Jack

Quote from: Driftwood Johnson on February 19, 2007, 12:31:50 PM
Howdy

We've been around and around the block on this one. Does a faster bullet get out of the barrel before the muzzle lifts as high? Does the heavier recoil from the higher powder charge lift the muzzle high enough to raise the point of impact before the bullet escapes?

My own personal experience is that with identical bullets, in the same gun, heavier powder charges raise the point of impact every time. Regardless of how fast the bullet is getting out of the barrel, when I increase the powder charge, recoil has been increased enough to raise the point of impact.  That has been my experience.

You might see some of that with mellow BP loadings, where you are actually resisting recoil effectively with the softest loads.

Step it on up and it ain't so, at least in my experience.

My 5.5 inch vaqueros have not had  the sights cut, and from the box will shoot to POA with 250s at 750.

I've shot 310 (nominal, might be a hair more) LEE GC bullets at 1250 or so and guess where they print?  same as the 250s at 750.

I also shoot a 200 at 650, and yep, same POI/POA alignment.  Speed that 200 up to 1000 fps, its waaaay low.

Slow the 200 to 580, it shoots high.  Slow a 310 down to 700 FPS it shoots high.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com