R & D cyl for 1860

Started by HANCOCK, February 17, 2007, 08:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HANCOCK

Just a quick question. Does the R & D conversion cyl for the 1860 (Uberti) have a stepped cyl like it's suppose to , or were they made with stright sides?(I can't find a picture that shows this).

Thanks
Kip

Major 2

yes it does , and it's available with or w/o the Engraved Cyl. Scene.

I have one in my 2 Gen Colt... it need just a touch of adj. but shoots great....
when planets align...do the deal !

Brizco-Z

Pards,

Who has the best price on these cylinders??  I saw them on the MidwayUSA site and they were prices a tad over 2 bills and they were a bit more for engraved.  Also, wonder who has the best deal for the gated version and the 5 chamnber contained, the one with the firing pins in the plate cover.

Thanks,

Brizco-Z
NRA  SASS - RO II, RATS, STORM & SCORRS
Old Scout & Order of the Arrow
DARKSIDER by Choice, VIRGINIAN by the Grace of God
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/Brizco-Z/

Major 2

New you going to find them at or about $225-240 for the R&D...
I've seen them lightly used a between $150 -190 in the Classifieds both here and on the SASS wire.

Be sure your ordering for a Uberti or Pietta as they are different.... Uberti Cyl. will fit 2nd gen Colts. , I think ASM too.
Pietta's are the odd duck out.

Frankly, the best deal the one to fits out of the box.... some, including my 2nd Gen. need a tad of adjustment , but just a tad.
Taylor's, If you buy the Cyl. from them will fit it for free, I think Fall Creek also offers the fitting service.
Now if you find one for a bargain as I did, and it needed fitting R&D will do it free.

I bought mine, having only one round through it , it had been fitted to a Uberti the price was the lowest I mentioned.
I had it fitted for free to my 2 Gen. Colt.

Sadly I do not believe R&D has the tooling completed for the gated 1860 as yet. And Krist refuses to even try to make one.

Get the R&D 5 shot, you won't be sorry, over 1000 rounds through mine and no problems at all.
It's my main match 45 though I prefer Schofields through it , along with my 45 Sch. OT

when planets align...do the deal !

Cincinnati Slim

Howdy,

Got a Pietta 1860 and .45 Colt R&D cylinder from Taylor's and gotta give it a "thumbs UP"! ;D

Just be carefull with cartridge O.A.L...Ultramax "Cowboy" loads work fine but Winchester cartridges are sometimes just a little too long and the nose of the bullet hits the forcing cone and ties things up.

These R&D chambers are TIGHT so if you're reloading be sure to full-length resize your cases.

B.T.W. Pieta uses the same frame for both their 1860 and 1851 .44 cal revolvers. My R&D fit my new Pietta "Old Silver" 1851 just fine after I stoned about .003 off the forcing cone. The R&D cylinders are usually .002-.003 longer than the factory percussion cylinder. Some of the new Piettas are REALLY tight with tiny barrel cylinder gaps. You need a .005-.006 gap on a cap&baller to allow for BP crud build-up. All of my newer Piettas needed some work on the back of the barrel to get the forcing cone squared-up with the cylinder face and achieve enough of a gap not to drag badly after a couple of shots. Just take out yer Arkansas stone and work SLOWLY. Can't add metal after it's gone.

Like my grand-daddy said, " heck, I cut this board twice and it's still too short !" ;)

Happy Trails,

Slim

Halfway Creek Charlie

Both Kirst Ubeti and R & D Ubertis fit Ubertis, Asm? and Euroarms. Don't know about the Colt Clones though.

I know for a fact that this is true in the 1858 Remington NMA's as I have done it. Also the Uberti R & D in 44 Rem/Colt C.F. dropped right into my Original Remy NMA, aligned and worked like it was made for it 143 years ago!

My used Pietta R &D drops right in and rocks and rolls with my used (new to me and used very little) Consecutively S/N'd Pietta 1851 Navys.

Pietta is the odd Duck out. in this business for sure.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Tuolumne Lawman

Read my article in this month's Cowboy Chronicle.  It should answer all your questions.  Yes, It is stepped like the original cylinder.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com