Barrel length in Marlin Cowboy Rifles

Started by RowdyBill, October 26, 2004, 09:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyBill

Thinking seriously about getting a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .44 Magnum.  The Marlin website shows this as having a 20" barrel, but in online searches, it seems this rifle has a 24" barrel.  Either they changed or both are offered.

Which is best for the .44 Magnum cartridge?  Will "cowboy loads" function well with a 24" barrel?

Thanks.

Four-Eyed Buck

The earlier CB's had 24" barrels. In 2002, they changed to 20". either length will work okay, more a matter of personal preference than anything else. I have CB's in both lengths and do okay with all of them. It just depends on how long a certain gun has been in the pipeline asw to which you find. Hope this helps some.........Buck 8) ::) ;D
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

RowdyBill

Quote from: Four-Eyed Buck on October 26, 2004, 09:37:20 PM
The earlier CB's had 24" barrels. In 2002, they changed to 20". either length will work okay, more a matter of personal preference than anything else. I have CB's in both lengths and do okay with all of them. It just depends on how long a certain gun has been in the pipeline asw to which you find. Hope this helps some.........Buck 8) ::) ;D

Thanks.  I was leaning more towards the "short rifle" approach (20" barrel).  Glad that's what the new rifles are being configured in.

Silver Creek Slim

Have you checked Gunsamerica.com? They are a bunch of Marlin .44 Mags listed with 20" barrels.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Silver Creek Slim

RowdyBill,
Here is the one for you? I have one just like it, but mine was converted to .45 Colt. And only $295. These were made the in early 70's so no cross-bolt safety.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976521242.htm

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

RowdyBill

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on October 28, 2004, 11:41:12 AM
RowdyBill,
Here is the one for you? I have one just like it, but mine was converted to .45 Colt. And only $295. These were made the in early 70's so no cross-bolt safety.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976521242.htm

Slim

Thanks, I'll check 'em out.

Sergeant Smokepole

According to Kempf's Gun Shop in Indiana, the 24 inch Octagon Barrel has been superceded by the 20 inch octagon barrel.

Personally, I like the 24 incher. It hangs better for me.

RowdyBill

Quote from: Sergeant Smokepole on October 28, 2004, 08:37:42 PM
According to Kempf's Gun Shop in Indiana, the 24 inch Octagon Barrel has been superceded by the 20 inch octagon barrel.

Personally, I like the 24 incher. It hangs better for me.

Yep, both look nice.  However, I'm looking for a fast-handling short rifle, so 20" barrel fits the bill.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com