Just Cowboys and fun, no clock please. .

Started by Dick Dastardly, February 10, 2007, 06:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Dastardly

I have joined a new posse.  We intend to end the blasted gamer aspect of our sport once and for all.  To that end, we prefer not to be timed as we shoot our stages.  What we do prefer is to enjoy the sport and pull the plug on the gamers.  Otherwise, we feel that our chosen shooting sport may go the way of IPSIC etc.  That's not the Cowboy Way.

So, here is the wording on my new certificate.  I will proudly wear the badge when it arrives.

"Let it be known to all Cowboy Action Shootists that Dick Dastardly is Honorary Member #12 of Thundercolt's Renegades"

As an honorary member I pledge to forsake being timed at Cowboy Action Shoots.

I will encourage other Shootists to abandon the "Gamer" aspects of shooting and join in the revelry we share with like minded members of our group.

I will develop my character and attitude through my personal interactions and adlibed verbiage that I integrate into each shooting scenario to bring it to life.

I will strive to create the perception of actually stepping back into the days of the Wild West.

I will help others within our group with authenticity and hold true to the motto: "A grape ripens in the presence of the bunch."

So attested by
Zeke Thundercolt and Rosie Thundercolt

So, now I'm a proud member of the Thunderbolt Renegades.  I will  shoot for FUN.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Justice Johnson

DD, I agree with you but then again i shoot frontiersman.........it's just soooooo much fun

enjoy

4 slugs from a 44 no less, no more

Dick Dastardly

Hey Tombstone,

I shoot that category also.  It's the slowest one going, and in many ways, the most fun.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Steel Horse Bailey

Dick, in spirit I must be one of the founding Fathers!  I've been ignoring the timer for as long as I've been shootin' CAS!

Besides, they time me with a sundial!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

litl rooster

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on February 10, 2007, 06:13:54 PM
IIthe motto: "A grape ripens in the presence of the bunch."

Uva Uvam Veviendo Varia Fit

Sign me up
Mathew 5.9

Steel Horse Bailey

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Dick Dastardly

Ho Pards,

I signed up at the MN OWS banquet.  A bunch of us did and I was #12.  I guess that makes me one of the floundering fathers.

Then, I ran off and left my stuff at Silas McFee's house.  I'll get it back and post the particulars for joining.

The reason Zeke started out this posse is that he's trying to bring back the true spirit of the original Cowboy Action™ shooting as it was intended to be.  Somewhere along the line it got hyjacked by shooters wanting to make it into IPSIC.  We're goin' back to what we enjoy and to heck with the time.

We expect to have a lot more fun than the run 'n gun way of shootn'.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

sundance44`s

Cheers DD out standing idea ! If i every hear my local SASS club has adopted this outstanding idea ...i`ll begin building me a gun cart ...the clock is whats been holding me back .....old bones and shoulders don`t work on the clock or have fun on the clock .....and i didn`t see near as many young`ins as i did us oldtimmers playing this game .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Noz

I don't agree.
I too shoot Frontiersman. 1860s, 1894, sxs  and a lot of smoke.
When SASS was initiated, the Wild Bunch determined that if the event was timed it allowed individuals to determine their relative skill levels and to encourage them to improve.
They also prohibited prizes to keep the competetion from getting out of hand. To keep competetors honest they installed a minimum velocity/energy level (call it what you will) never thinking that people would go to such extremes to be the "best" and "fastest". Since that minimum was unenforceable it was dropped and the race was on.

Now, since I intend to keep shooting SASS my take is this:
I have selected the most restrictive and least occupied catagory. I shoot against other old fools that share my love of the old weapons and Holy Black. I have a composite time for each stage to tell me how I am doing, as far as a skill level is conserned.  I will probably never "win" anything as long as there are more than one competitor in my catagory but that is not the point. The point is, am I getting better? Without the timer I don't know.
Let the gamers run and gun. Let them shoot 15 second stages that I shoot in 50. They are not competeting with me nor I with them. We are both playing the same game just using sef-limposed different rules.
Maybe I am a "gamer" but if I shoot against you and beat you with equal equipment, I may not say anything but, I will go home with a happy little glow.

Dick Dastardly

Then, we'll both leave happy NozzleRag.  You cuz you beat me and me cuz I got what I came for.  No worries, eh?

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Tequila Jim

Something similar posted on The Frontier Spot. Sort of a takeoff on Western 3 Gun. But again no timers.
I'm thinking this is a good idea. Regards, TJ

Cohagen

Dick,

I'll ride wit cha.  Sounds like the way to go.   I havn't paid my SASS dues this year and was thinkin of droppin out of SASS because of the win, win, win, mentality.  I f you really want to see it , go to a national or regional shoot WOW!   The fun is gone and speed is everything.  Sickening

Cohagen

Wills Point Pete

Well, the timer operator would be glad to see me not being timed. That way he wouldn't have to drag that eight day grandfather clock all over the place.

As far as I know my club requires time. I don't care, I'm usually the slowest shooter in the posse. Since the stroke I can't move fast. No one seems to care, as long as I'm still reasonably safe. The speedy guys like it when I come to the line, they get an extra little break.

I was once a pretty fair shot, with pretty good speed with my service revolvers. Then came some health issues and retirement, more health issues. I shoot CAS because it is a fun way to keep in practice. I'll never win a match again but I'm still a better and faster shot than 95+% of the crooks out there. Plus I get to wear the old clothes and make smoke.

I let the young guys rock and roll, some of them can even kneel without a chain hoist to get them back up. They get what they want, I get what I want. Perfect.

Mad Mucus

Maybe there should be an "Old Timers" catagory with optional clock... Dick, how would it be scored, hits?

+1 for keeping the grin factor,

Mucus
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."

RRio

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it"  - Capt. Woodrow Call

"Proud citizen of CasCity since 2004." 
NCOWS 2492  SASS 22927   SCORRS     USFACS #28       GAF #267 Dept. of the Platte  AZ        STORM #178

Dick Dastardly

Ho Pards,

Zeke Thundercolt is the perpetrator of this posse.  I  signed on with him.  Soon as I get my badge and stuff, I'll send along the information about signing up.  It ain't free, but the money is all being spent to defeat the rampant gamerism and downright IPSIC direction our sport is rapidly headed.  I'm goin' to be joinin' NCOWS sometime this season simply to add more diversity to my shooten' opportunities.  I  understand that they are a bit less "run 'n gun" and a bit more into "Gun for Fun".

Since Zeke started this off, I'll try to get hold of him and get him to pass along some more information.

Timers!  We don't need no stinkin' timers!  Shoot!!!

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Silver Creek Slim

DD,
I think it is a great concept. I am timed by a sundial anyway.  ::) Someone who chooses ta shoot a "Mighty Ten" with 120 grs of BP in 3.5" shells and .45 Colt 255gr boolits with as much BP as can fit is not in it fer speed. I haven't spun a shotgun spinner over yet, but I will continue ta try. You will be very welcome in NCOWS.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

gw

DD--I think you'll find NCOWS to your likin', my posse, The Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co. has over the years shot many matches without a timer....".How do ya determine a winner?" they asked. Well, ya don't, cause ya don't have too. Everybody has a great time when we do this, the point is, that makes us all winners. We might just set around the fire awhile, drinkin coffee and shooting the bull, then go back and shoot a couple of more stages. More than likely, a few of the boys will have ribbed each other enough to get a real good shootoff of some sort started, and then the fun really begins! Timer or not, we take havin' fun seriously and don't really care who won what. Yes, we do have timed shoots more than not, but there's really nobody in our entire posse that takes winning seriously. Have fun and look for you to join our ranks!
NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

Springfield Slim

My goal is to shoot with lots of smoke and flame and STILL beat some smokeyless guys.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: gw on February 12, 2007, 10:30:51 AM
  DD--I think you'll find NCOWS to your likin', my posse, The Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co. has over the years shot many matches without a timer....".How do ya determine a winner?" they asked. Well, ya don't, cause ya don't have too. Everybody has a great time when we do this, the point is, that makes us all winners. We might just set around the fire awhile, drinkin coffee and shooting the bull, then go back and shoot a couple of more stages. More than likely, a few of the boys will have ribbed each other enough to get a real good shootoff of some sort started, and then the fun really begins! Timer or not, we take havin' fun seriously and don't really care who won what. Yes, we do have timed shoots more than not, but there's really nobody in our entire posse that takes winning seriously. Have fun and look for you to join our ranks!

Dick,  GW said it all.  And that's why I'm a proud member of NCOWS and 'specially The Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.  You'd fit in fine!  And we DO have speedy shooters.  Irish Dave, our esteemed Marshal of NCOWS, is Hell on Wheels!  But nobody "competes" unless it's wanted.  Sure, the timer is there sometimes/often and score is kept, but it's more for our OWN amazement/amusement.  To me, a fast Miss is worthless and a waste of ammo.  (Not only is Irish Dave fast, but he doesn't miss much, either.)  I'm still tryin' for that perfect score, and THAT'S whut I strive for - to beat myself.  I've had to shoot for real ... and I'm still here.  I'm out to have FUN, not impress anyone.  (And boy, howdy!  I'm sure good at NOT impressing anyone else!  ;D )

I'm not puttin' down SASS (I'm a Lifer) or any of the SASS or IPSC competitors.  I just have fun.  Come on down Dick (and all y'all others, too!)  GLFMC will show ya a good time!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com