Nipple removal

Started by Dutchy Rodell, January 25, 2007, 08:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutchy Rodell

I just got a new Uberti '58 Remmington this week.  I've cleaned the gun, but I can't get the nipples out to lubricate them.  Any suggestions on how to remove stubborn nipples?  I've ruined one nipple wrench.  I took the gun to my gun dealer and they were also unable to get the nipples out.  Am I correct in assuming I don't shoot the gun until I've had a chance to remove and lubricate the nipples?  If I can't get the nipples out should I consider the gun defective and get another one.  Dutchy

Singing Bear

Nothing wrong with shooting them as is, just make sure there are no obstructions in the flash holes.  It's just nice to know that the nipples CAN come out when the need arises.  Some will suggest soaking them in a good penetrating oil such as Liquid Wrench, etc.

hellgate

Hey there Dutchy Rodell (from my favorite movie),
Be patient. I've kept the stock nipples in my Uberti Remmies and they handle any charge up to 30grs under a 200gr conical. First of all, spray the nipples top side and into the chambers with a penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench. LET IT SIT OVERNIGHT. You will need a vise with thick  leather jaw pads to prevent marring the cylinder. Put the cylinder in the padded jaws. Take your nipple wrench and put it onto the nipple. Get a small hammer and as you torque on the nipple, tap the wrench with the hammer. Give it a short twist to TIGHTEN it first then taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap as you unscrew the nipple by simultaneously pushing down, tapping with the hammer and unscrewing the nipple. Work on the nipples near the jaws first then rotate the cylinder to the next ones otherwise it will rock sideways in the jaws. My vise has 1/4" thick leather pads. I've also ruined a couple of wrenches but have re filed & cut new jaws on them to get another life out of them.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

sundance44`s

I`ve had the same problem with new guns that probally sat on a shelf for a time ....one thing you can do is get a new nipple wrench ...take it with you and go shoot the thing about 30 times and get her good and hot ...then try to remove the nipples while at the range ....i`ve had good luck with doing this .....if that doesn`t work ..which has happened to me just once ...i soaked the cylinder in a short glass of penetrating oil ..after  a week the nipples came out .....the biggest problem is with the cheap made nipple wrenches ...they are junk .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

44caliberkid

Hellgate's advice is good, you may want to apply heat with a torch or put it in boiling water for 5 - 6 minutes.

Dick Dastardly

I want to put in a plug for Ruger here.  My very old Old Armies had the nipples in for a long time.  I did a dumb and seated a ball with no powder under it.  When I went to remove the nipple, it was stuck tight.  So, when I got back to the ranch I put it in a vice and removed it with the fine Ruger hex head nipple wrench.  Ruger nipples have a hex head and a good wrench.  If the wrench is missing, a good socket wrench will fit and work well.

I've had stuck nipples on other C&B guns and here's a trick that worked for me.  I put a piece of dry ice in the chamber and put some, not much, heat on the cylinder.  The nipples shrunk just enuf and the cylinder expanded just enuf that the nipples came right out.  Be careful with the heat so you don't soften the cylinder temper.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Dutchy Rodell

Through my dealer,Taylor's traded out my gun for a new one - one that they had removed the nipples from just to make sure they would come out.   Yeah Taylor's.  Dutchy

hellgate

Geeze DD,
You're starting to sound like a magician. Dry ice & blow torches. Excellent idea and fun even if it doesn't work!
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Dick Dastardly

Ho Hellgate,

It works, but ya gotta move fast before the temperatures equalize.  It's an old trick I learned about removing frozen bolts.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Steel Horse Bailey

Where'd ya git dry ice?  Aint got no dry-ice cream emporiums round here. and the Ice Cream store don' wanna give up any of whut little they git.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Dick Dastardly

We've got a place in the Workers Paradise of Madison Wisconsin that sells dry ice.  Hellers Carbonic.

I use the stuff when we go to Canada once and a while.  Keeps stuff frozen for over a week.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Steel Horse Bailey

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

litl rooster

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on January 27, 2007, 08:06:21 AM
Where'd ya git dry ice?  Aint got no dry-ice cream emporiums round here. and the Ice Cream store don' wanna give up any of whut little they git.

You might try a CO/2 fire extinguisier   works for making beer cold
Mathew 5.9

44caliberkid

Steel Horse, the Wally World's here in Iowa are carrying dry ice now, don't know about your part of the country.  It's up front by customer service.

Bristow Kid

Do y'all use any antiseize or lube on your nipple threads when you put them back in the cylindar?
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

hellgate

whenever I replace, remove, or otherwisefiddle with my nipples I put anti sieze grease on the threads. Then i leave them in place for an eternity. I tend to not remove them again unless there's a problem.

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Bristow Kid

Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Stacey Lee

My trick is to use a REAL wrench , not a nipple wrench. I use a 4" , 1/4" socket extension, a 1/4" socket wrench , and take the appropriate size socket and moto-tool the correct slot size into the socket to fit over the nipple. I have yet to owne a gun that could withstand the torque you can produce with this tool configuration. Nipples come right out with this tool set-up and your back to shooting. I ruined two nipple wrenches from Navy Arms on my Starr revolver before I became a genious and designed my own tool. Where there is a will, there IS a way.

Cheers  ;D

Doc Sunrise

I am with Stacey Lee on this one,

I used a dremmel tool on a 3/16 and a 5mm 1/4" drive socket and now have all the clean power I need for those really tight nipples.  Thanks Stacey Lee for letting me know I wasn't the only one that went a little crazy!

Doc

Steel Horse Bailey

That's a great idea.  Use Brute Force when all else fails!  Yep, NO nipple could withstand the force from modern tools!

BK, while it's not a true anti-seize oil/paste, the teflon in BreakFree has worked well enough that my cones (Civil War time term for nipples) have always come out with any of the 3 nipple wrenches I have.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com