Modifying Magtech hulls to take 209 primers: how do I do it?

Started by charlie macneil, January 22, 2007, 05:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie macneil

It would be nice to know, 'cause then I could pretty much do the whole thing on my Lee LoadAll shotshell loader. It'd be way faster than loadin' them with a hammer...
Dang them voices have good ideas sometimes!

Adirondack Jack

RCBS sells a shell holder you can use to prime Mag techs on an ordinary single stage loading press.  Give 'em a call (it's not in the catalog) I think it is $20.

You can drill out the recess for 209s, but then ya gotta pay the extra cost of 209s.  Don't seem a great savings in time or money.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Sod Buster

It seems to make better sense to use the brass shells that are designed to work with the 209 primers.  Both Wildcat Will and Poney Racer use those.  Perhaps they can comment on them.
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

If'n it ain't f****d, don't fix it.  If you do your reloading in batches, it doesn't take much time at all.  All my equipment except the measures came out of my scrap bin.  And even then, measures can be made very quickly from stuff on hand. You don't even need a wad guide, just tip the cards/wads a bit and slip them in.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Delmonico

Alcan made some brass ones in the 1960's that used 209, but the one speciman I have has a heavy web.  With out the base wads or a heavier web the web will be driven forward on firing and be pushed back as the powder burn reaches pressure.  If you bend a piece on brass back and forth several times it work hardens and breaks. 

The rifle primer and pocket prevents this.  If the web breaks you will have a nasty gas leak, how long it will take is something I wouldn't want to find out. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

The fellow that makes the Double Gun 209 conversions has to put a nylon insert into the base to "help" support the primer as Del points out.  I strongly suggest leaving them alone.  As Jeff Cooper used to say "An ingenious solution to a non-existent problem!"

charlie macneil

Okay, okay, I can take a hint.  ;D Obviously, this was a case of too much time on my hands, too little to do, and too much access to a computer keyboard... ;D

Consider this another idea whose time has not yet come...

Goatlips

Hay Charlie,

In response to your question you need a 15/64 drill bit.  From what I recall from old posts you do it from the inside.  I got the bit and was ready to use 209's in my Magtechs, but never went any further after I learned to use large pistol primers, a long punch, a socket extention, a hunk of steel with a hole in it and a hammer.

A bit of information here:

http://p223.ezboard.com/Adapting-BerdanPrimed-Cases-To-Use-Shotgun-Primers/fbritishmilitariaforumsfrm5.showMessage?topicID=34.topic

Goatlips

Goatlips;  You are a master of the obvious!   We all forgot to mention the HAMMER!

Grizzle Bear

All well and good, but can anybody help me?  I have a bunch of the original CBC brass shells that use the Berdan primers.  Bought them from Old Western Scrounger years ago.  Now he's gone, and I can't find a source for the Berdan primers.  Only have a couple of hundred left, then I'll have to switch to the ones with the rifle primer.

By the way, Berdan primers are EASY to remove and replace!

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

charlie macneil

As I said before, obviously, this was a case of too much time on my hands, too little to do, and too much access to a computer keyboard... ;D

Oh well, back to the drawing board. If I didn't come up with these dumb questions, you guys wouldn't have anybody to tell how stupid he is... ;D

Y'all have a nice day now, hear?

There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.  I hope ours passed the test!

Heh! Grizzle;  Can those CBC shells be drilled out to 209, or is the berdan cavity too large?

Grizzle Bear

Quote from: Sir Charles deMoutonBlack on January 23, 2007, 07:59:52 PM

Heh! Grizzle;  Can those CBC shells be drilled out to 209, or is the berdan cavity too large?

I suppose they could be.  I would prefer to just get the Berdan primers, since I have learned how easy they are to deal with.

GB
Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Delmonico

You could move to Europe, they have them over there. ;D  Sorry pard, that is bad, someone would take up the slack you would think.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com