Author Topic: NCOWS in Michigan  (Read 3772 times)

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
NCOWS in Michigan
« on: January 18, 2007, 03:05:30 PM »
 Howdy Folks.

I was wondering if NCOWS has a group in Michigan?
So far I can't locate anyone who has any information on
your organization. Any information will be appreciated and
I thank you in advance.

Shotgun Steve
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: NCOWS in Michigan
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 03:41:33 PM »
Try contacting James Hunt. His e-mail should be available here on CAS City. He is a great NCOWS member from Michigan and has been talking about maybe starting a posse up there.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 04:04:46 PM »
 Thank you Sir! I'll try and contact Mr. Hunt.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:20:53 AM »

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 07:18:19 PM »
My pleasure.
Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 04:02:29 PM »
Shotgun Steve: Feel free to PM or email me at jhunt67@hotmail.com, indeed there are three NCOWS members in MI that i am aware of, one is on the west side who I really don't know very well (subsequently I can't recall his name at the moment) and the other is my pard Montery Jack Brass.

Indeed we have talked about establishing an NCOWS posse in southeast MI. We have several others interested in the 1870's - mid 1880's time period, all of whom are into hardcore re-enactment (thread counters) and come with colonial, CW and other backgrounds. Not particularly shootists they are skeptical of NCOWS only because they assume it is a SASS clone - and do not want a old west fantasy experience. Jack and I are working to change that perception. But we are proceeding slowly and as such have this small group interested in the period from a reenactment standpoint.

To be clear Jack and I are part of the history first crowd, shooting second. So I see our little "association" as evolving from a historical persepctive to include shooting. Our standards for association in the"association" are similar to the "originals" in NCOWS. Indeed both Jack and I are originals. We may evolve as a group to include NCOWS membership amongst those of us in the association but we may not immediatly form a posse. One problem is no range at this point unless we want to suck up to the local Wolverine Rangers SASS groups - something we will not do. So we are proceeding slowly. We hope to bring several of our non-NCOWS association members to the national convention with us so that they can get a feel for the organization.

I say all this so you understand the perspective of our group, if history is YOUR thing, you will find us appealing - if competitive shooting is your thing - we may be a bit boring. Never-the-less, contact us. And if you are going to the convention look up both Jack Brass and myself, we would like to meet you.

Look forward to talking with you. Jim Hunt
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 09:30:40 PM »
 Hello Jim,
Thank you for your response and the information. As I stated before I am new to the
cowboy era of reenacting, but I have been involved in the colonial end of the hobby/lifestyle
for over twenty years.
 I like the historical aspect of reenacting, but I also spend a lot of time in the
timber refining my 18th century outdoor skills as well as hunting with my smoothbore flintlocks. The informal group of friends I associate with get together in all kinds of weather and spend time in the timber honing our skills using the same methods our ancestors did before us.

So..yes.. I like history and I am not into competition shooting at all. A few friends and myself plan on taking our new found interest into the woods as well but for relaxation and informal
shooting and just enjoying the old west lifestyle.

I live in northwest lower Michigan. Not far from Traverse City. I would like to attend the convention but I will have to see if I can clear it with work first. Anyway Sir, I thank you.
Take care.
Steve Jajo

Home of the Plainsmen

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 03:32:42 PM »
Steve,
How's it going man? Long time no hear from . If you get with Jim Hunt and his group they will steer you in the right direction. Hope you see your way to joining NCOWS..it is a great organization.....

Ottawa Creek Bill, aka Bill Proctor.

Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 09:23:28 PM »
Hi Bill,
I am doing great..how about yourself? I am sure I will be joining NCOWS in the
very near future. It seems like a fine organization and I like the friendly folks on this site.
Keep in touch if you will Bill. I can use all the help I can get.
Take care.
 Steve

Home of the Plainsmen

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 06:35:34 AM »
Steve: Colonial guy! You will like NCOWS and our "association" as all of us have either a current (I am a member of COHT) or past colonial involvement. All in our group - except me - also have CW background. So you would enjoy this. If you wish contact me by email and this will allow us to enter you as a member on our discussion board - "the Association". Currently we are also an informal group, but we are working on developing standards for this group that we will all agree to adhere too. We are all committed to NCOWS but we may or may not form a posse at this point (no range at this point). We are located on a diagnal from you in Southeastern MI, Contact me at jhunt67@hotmail.com I also speak Longrifle and smoothbore.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 06:38:40 AM »
Steve: Also while I hope you can make it to the convention where we can touch bases, if you can't I will also be at the KZOO living history show in March. Great show for colonial types. Let me know. Jim
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA

Offline 'Monterrey' Jack Brass

• NCOWS Life, SASS Life
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ferrotype of Brass, c1885, by R. Gibson
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 04:22:44 PM »
Steve,

Been awhile since I've been on any e-mail activities of late to I'm getting to this e-mail chain a bit late.

Please work with Mr Hunt regarding your addition to 'the Association' e-group. It's a great way for us and several of the Originals not from Michigan to keep tabs on what's happening and what we're planning to happen. It's invite-only so please work with Mr Hunt to get on but once you're on then you're good.

As Mr Hunt stated, all of us are history types first and that is the sort of person who is attracted to the Association. We have fairly detailed standards and look forward to giving you the information you'll need to succeed. You'll be able to go as hardcore as you can up-front when you're getting your stuff so you don't buy the wrong things just to replace them with the right things later.

As you know Bill Proctor I am sure you're aware of the Originals. I should think the only cosmetic 'difference' we have from the Originals standards is that 'the Association' has focused on an era-within-an-era so we can all portray the same era within a few years. The several year band we focus on is 1878-1883 as our primary impression when we participate at events together. This helps to keep us on the same page regarding clothing, leathers, firearms, bios, etc. I think you can appreciate this concept being a history kind of guy.

Enough for now - looking forward to meeting you. Sadly, I had to cancel my hotel reservations about two weeks ago as job constraints are keeping me in Michigan (of all week-ends VIPS coming now) and not attending the convention as I had planned.

(and hello to Herr Hunt & Originals out there..! Sorry to miss you at the Convention)

YMH&OS,

'Monterrey' J. Brass

NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 08:24:12 AM »
   Jack, Sorry you weren't able to be there . Was looking foreward to meeting you and inducting you into Hiram's Rangers.   jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com