1870's Period Correct Cowboy Boot Source

Started by James Hunt, January 18, 2007, 05:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Dr. Bob on January 25, 2007, 12:48:29 PM
I sure wish that someone would reproduce the button up the back shirt.  Bullock had them in Deadwood.  Wonder where they got them??  ???
Kurt Russell wore one in Tombstone.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

French Jack

Del, the ones made using Warnant's patent, had a separate breech block that was hinged with two links, one on each side.  They lifted up and tilted forward to expose the chamber.   The firing pin is contained in the block.  They were quite a bit safer than the original style that used a tab in front of the hammer.  They might have cost a dollar or so more at the time.
French Jack

Delmonico

Thanks French Jack, I guess I need to dig a bit on that one.  I know 9mm rim fires were made in both smooth bore and rifled.  They had a round ball for the smooth bores and shot of course.  There were ones with conicals that were for rifled ones and shot would also work in those.

Dr. Bob, Wah made a run of the back button ones about 5 years ago, really nice ones and very correct, went over on sales like a lead balloon.  Was the one you seen bluish grey?  If so it would have been one of the Wah's most likely.  Been thinking about trying to build me one.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

French Jack

Del, remember the photo of Isom Dart?  That is perhaps his most well known name.  There was a thread some time ago with a photo of him posted on either here or TFS.  The discussion was why he had his coat tucked into his chaps.  He also had two revolvers stuck in his waistband.  The odd looking one on the side was one I knew I had seen before, and couldn't figure out where.  I finally found it.  The odd looking one with the grooves in the grip was a LeFacheaux.  This was a pinfire revolver in 12 mm, ( .44 cal) that was quite popular in Europe, and was used here during and after the Civil War.  The odd trigger guard and grip shape are peculiar to that revolver. 
French Jack

Silver Creek Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Delmonico

After a lot of cursing photographers of the 19th century who did not save the negatives like Butcher did, this is the best I can do with what I have.  It just don't look to me like their is a cylinder there and the hammer seems to be centered.  Got an old Gun Digest up in the attic that shows Floberts with the same grip.  I need to go searching some time when it ain't to hot or too cold.

I still think if we could come up with more photo's by John Green of Denver we would see that gun again, but I haven't found another one yet.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

French Jack

The Lefacheaux has a center hung hammer, and no top strap.  In that respect, it is much like the Colt open top.  I have seen another pistol with the same grip and trigger guard, it was a Belgian Saloon Pistol.  Those were a rolling block single shot, in .22 cal. That could possibly be one of those. 
French Jack

Delmonico

That's what I have always took it for some sort of indoor salon pistol, if not a fFobert, one of the other makes of French or Belgum indoor target pistols, they were popular in botheh Europe and to some extent in large cities here in the US.   I wish I had more pictures by the photographers, I bet that pistol and most likely the revolver would be in at least some of them.  Remember Denver didn't allow carring a handgun by then, don't think they'd be to happy about ol' Isom Dart/Ned Huddleson walkin' around with one. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Lone Gunman

From the "Facts Schmacks, You Can Use Facts to Prove Anything" file:

appears to be a near identical match to this Flobert:

George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Delmonico

I'd say the seegar goes to The Lonegunman. ;)  Knew sooner or later someone would figger it out
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

'Monterrey' Jack Brass

Herr Hunt. Try Robert Land from Guelph Ontario. If somebody gives him an original example or even as little as a decent photograph he'll make whatever they need - plan on about $250 per pair of something very worth it and very period. He can also make recommondations of what you might want based on your need/time period. This guy is one of the best and is truly a one-stop shop. Reference the supplier list for website.

Monterrey J Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Sonora

howdy Pards,

I am new to this board, as believe it or not, yesterday was the first I had seen of the NCOWS. 

I tried SASS for a couple of months, and no offense to anyone, it was not for me. I have been a history nut since I was 8.  I furthered that interest by getting into reenacting at around 12 years of age.   Since that time, I have reenacted various time periods from the 18th century- to WWII, and all periods between.  I must say however, that the Old West is my passion.  I formed my own Old West reenacting group about five years ago.  SASS DID NOT intrigue me whatsoever in the areas of authenticity and historical purpose.  I have to say, after stumbling across the NCOWS area of this page, I was impressed and also refreshed.  I have frequented other Old West reenacting pages etc., none of which delve into such detail as you all do.  Its awesome!, and I am with you.  OK, enough rambling.  On to boots.  I saw the link to carricos leatherworks.  Have any of you ordered a pair of boots from his as of yet?  They look awesome, however I ordered a holster from carricos back in september and have not heard a word from him etc.  Also, James Hunt,  I like the boots that you are wearing in your avatar.  If you dont mind my asking, where did you get them?  One more question.  Where is the nearest NCOWS in relation to Virginia? 

Thanks Pards,
Sonora

Will Ketchum

Sonora, I want to welcome you to our forum.  You will find that about 90% of us are pretty much history nuts.  Some of us like to shoot more than others and some like to do reenacting more.  What we have in common is the love of the Old West.

For myself most of the reenacting around here is 18th & Early to mid 19th Century.  Since I don't figure there were too many Old portly types on either side in the Civil War nor in Roger's Rangers I limit myself to reading about those periods.

In NCOWS since we are limited to military types I feel that there is more room for people of my age  to do reenacting.  Unfortunately we don't have anyone doing it locally.  So for me I am mostly drawn to shooting the old type guns in the manner our forefathers did.  I am not as much of a purist as some because I do use BP substitutes in my guns to keep the actions from fouling to the point of in operation.

I look forward to your contributions and hope you become a member.  Once we get our magazine back on track it is worth the $35.00 alone.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Trap

Sonora, Glad to see you found us. There are members in your area but no one has stepped up to start a posse. It sure would be great if there could be an organized NCOWS presence in your area. Especially if you have like minded friends, think about it , you will get all the help you need here.    jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

French Jack

Sonora,
there are at present two NCOWS posses in Kentucky.  One in Ohio, and one in Indiana.  There was some interest from some members in the Lenoir, NC area, but no posse yet.  We have members in your state, in various parts.  You might try to see if some of them will step up and get in touch with you.  If you need help getting things rolling, check out the  NCOWS website at www.ncows.org   ....
French Jack

Irish Dave

Sonora:

Let me echo what several of our other good pards have already said, and that is "Welcome to the NCOWS board." You sound like exectly the kind of folks that make this such a great outfit. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like. Overall, we're a pretty friendly, helpful and fairly knowledgeable bunch.

Again, glad to have you here.
--Dave
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Books OToole

My research project for today is boots.  However I am interested in lace up boots from the late 1870s into the 1880s.

I picked up a pair from John Irons at the convention.  I wore them all weekend and they are very comfortable.  They look just like a pair in the 1897 Sears Catagalog, called "Policeman's Shoes."  They would be perfect shoes for my RR detective character, it I can get 1880ish documentation.

Demonico;

What is the date for photo 12972?

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Delmonico

Books, it's 1887.  Go to:  http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/award98/nbhihtml/pshome.html   Type any of those numbers in to get the picture and information.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Sonora

[/bPards,

I greatly appreciate all of the warm welcomes and information. 
I would really like to found out about NCOWS(single) members that live in Virginia, North Carolina  Maryland Georgia etc.
Is there a breakdown of the membership ie, state by state? 
I look forward to conversing with you all!

Ride Easy Pards,
Sonora

River City John

Sonora,
best way to do it is to submit your contact information via the  www.ncows.org  website(click "Congress" and then send message to "E-Committee") and it will be passed on to any individuals who may be members from those areas you've inquired about.
Nearest official NCOWS posse to those areas you mentioned is in Kentucky. The NCOWS National Shoot is being held there this year.

If you have formed an Old West Reenacting group in your area then you're well on your way towards becoming an NCOWS Posse. Visit our website and read the info, plus the "How To Form a Posse" stickie at the head of this forum.
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com