How do you slick uip the action on a lever gun?

Started by dakotaranger, January 17, 2007, 03:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dakotaranger

I just got my Winchester and I want to slick up the action.  I need a few good suggestions, so thanks
If the pen is truely mightier than the sword, they why do so many people weild crayons

St. George

Assuming that you just got a new rifle/carbine - why not try shooting it awhile?

Clean it, lube it and then run a few hundred rounds through it and then see if it really needs anything done.

That small bit of wear will allow you - upon complete disassembly - to locate high spots and any burring.

If they're present - you can then stone them carefully away - lube properly - reassemble and try.

That's the cheapest solution - and done right - it's about all you'll need.

If - after this has been done, and you're still not satisfied - then you can replace a couple of springs, or shorten existing ones until it has the feel that you're after.

Spring kits are available through Brownell's - but until you've shot the piece to wear the parts in - you don't need them just yet.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Carolina Lead Foot

St. George as usual has sound advice.  What kind of Winchester?  That also can make a difference.

Lead Foot ;D
Believer in the Almighty
Warthog
Soot Lord
Just a Cowboy shooting real BP

Lazarus Longshot

There's lots of tips on all the common CAS guns, including rifles, on Marauder's Old Irons Page: http://www.marauder.homestead.com/irons.html
SASS #44254 Life
ROI, ROII
SBSS #1314, OGB - SCORRS - GOFWG #4
NRA Benefactor- TSRA Life - GOA Life
Oakwood Outlaws - Texas Regulators - Thunder River Renegades 
-------------------
Houston, Republic of Texas

Tommy tornado

Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Kidd Krystin

You don't mention the model Winchester.  If it's a '66 or '73 Will Shootem (Joe Alves) at Pioneer Gunworks does a reall good job.

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Tommy tornado on January 30, 2007, 08:26:37 PMSent it to Steve Young.
I second this. He's done a couple of mine. They're really done right.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com