Cimarron 1851 Navy R-M conversion ammo

Started by Triggersmith, January 12, 2007, 09:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triggersmith

I just got a gorgeous Cimarron 1851 Richards-Mason conversion.  Is there any favorite ammunition you can suggest for it.  There seems to be a difference of opinion between .38 Colt and .38 special.   I don't reload.  Don't want to. 
Thanks
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Triggersmith;  I have a pair.  Don't seem to be particular about loads, but I have tried to load modestly.  For Blackpowder, 18 to 19 gr of GOEX 3F, drop tubed, works fine.  I use a .30 carbine case to dip 19 gr, and an aluminium .357SIG for 18gr. I have only used .38 Spl cases but own some .38 LC, but I'll save them for the future, like if a gated conversion cylinder shows up under a cabbage patch and finds its way into my Uberti '51!

You will have to practise ejecting empties, as there is a little hook on the ejector body meant to keep the tab from dropping.  The ejector rod and cylinder rotation have to be just right, as well, for easy shukin'.

Another foible.  If the works just jam up, it is probably because you have "tightened' the wedge just a smidge too tight.

I think the '51 R-M is a great piece.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Triggersmith

Thank you Sir Charles.  It is my understanding the .38Long Colt and the .38 Special are the same case diameter with the .38 LC being a tad longer.  Am I correct?
Thank you
Triggersmith
Direct from the Mount a Skank Spa and Dude Ranch
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith

Grizzly Adams

Quote from: Triggersmith on January 12, 2007, 10:32:02 AM
Thank you Sir Charles.  It is my understanding the .38Long Colt and the .38 Special are the same case diameter with the .38 LC being a tad longer.  Am I correct?
Thank you
Triggersmith
Direct from the Mount a Skank Spa and Dude Ranch

Backwards!  The 38LC is shorter than the 38 spl.  Diameter is the same for both.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Triggersmith

Thanks Griz,
I knew it was one or the other.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Major 2

when planets align...do the deal !

Michael 'Deadwood' Clemons

If its not giving away treasured secrets,,,where ya gettin' the Richards-Masons? Iv heard they were pretty slow to get?
The new Richards T-2 Transition?? anyone seen one of those up close and personal like yet?
They sure look good in the photos!!!
I aint seen an open top I aint liked yet.
Just bittin my lip till I get my Chuck Burrows riggin's for my OT Army .44Sp.   ;D
'AND I LOOKED, AND BEHOLD A PALE HORSE: AND HIS NAME THAT SAT ON HIM WAS DEATH, AND HELL FOLLOWED WITH HIM.'
REVELATIONS 6:8

SASS# 74755

THE SHOOTIST BOARD  http://b5.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?user=angelsandbadmen

Major 2

Quote from: The Preacher on January 12, 2007, 07:16:21 PM
If its not giving away treasured secrets,,,where ya gettin' the Richards-Masons? Iv heard they were pretty slow to get?
The new Richards T-2 Transition?? anyone seen one of those up close and personal like yet?
They sure look good in the photos!!!
I aint seen an open top I aint liked yet.
Just bittin my lip till I get my Chuck Burrows riggin's for my OT Army .44Sp.   ;D

No secrets Cimarron has Richard & Masons so does Taylor's & Stoeger ( saw them today )

As to the Type II  YES I HAVE ! yesterday and again today at Shot...
see my report in elsewere in Storm...

Cimarron had only one to show ... and Uberti does not even have one to show at their booth...
The one I did handle is a beauty and they confirmed mine is in the first shipment ( though they are not sure when that might be )
when planets align...do the deal !

Coffinmaker

Actually, you should be able to shoot the 38 Special and 38 Colt interchangeably.  The shorter of the cases (38 Colt) may, depending on powder, leave a little "ring around the chamber" at the case mouth that "may" make chambering 38 Special difficult. 

Since you don't reload and don't want to, you may want to opt for .38 Special simply because of availability and price.  .38 Colt is not quite as universally available as 38 Spl and by comparison is some pricey.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com