Leathersmiths.....Need Some Assistance

Started by Forty Rod, January 08, 2007, 03:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Will Wingam

OK, here's the new photo 40R sent. Looks like another one in the mix, now. That top one looks like it has been fed well.  ;D More sheathes to make, I guess. A leatherworker's dream.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Forty Rod

This is the first leather work I've done in 45 years.  Still have a beaded "belt" to add to the top 1/3 of the sheath, but beading goes really slow for old eyes.

Give me some criticisms and suggestions.

Thanks.

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Marshal Will Wingam

Looking good, pard. ;)

You mentioned in your email that the leather was almost waterproof. Can you expand on that a little? How was it cured and how easy was it to work with?

Forty Rod

Will, the guy made up a concoction of mink oil, bee's wax, paraffin, and something else.  I can't recall what it was.  Maybe lard.  I don't remember.  It finishes up about the consistency of soft saddle soap. 

He takes clean tanned hide and rubs this stuff in until it won't take any more, then puts it where it will get warm...sunlight, heat lamp, etc.  Every day he wipes off what's left and after a week he does it again.  At the end of the second week he buffs the bejabbers out of it.

You can't submerge it for any length of time, but it turns rain and snow...and dye and ink...like a tarp.  You can get some stain or dye to take on a cut edge, but it takes a ton of it to stain the treated face.

As to working it, well, it's soft as butter.  Can't be tooled.  Stampings just vanish after a few days.  You can cut it easily.  I used a cheap pair of schoolroom scissors that were laying around and an Xacto knife. 

The few pieces I have left are about 1/8" thick and feel like garment weight boar hide, only not textured like the boar.  They are stiff enough for the neck sheath, but too limber for a belt sheath for a larger knife or a holster.  They could work over rawhide or heavier leather.

I made a trouser belt once and it wouldn't stay flat.  It rolled where I rolled and ended the day looking like a rope.  Next morning it was a belt again...just flattened right out.  Good memory.

One drawback is that if you're not careful you can pull stitching right through it, especailly on real narrow edges.

If its gets too hot it smells like musk, maybe from the mink oil, and has a buttery-oily feel to it.  Most of the time it's not a problem.

I've had this leather about 28 years, maybe longer, and it looks and feels the same as it did the day I got it.  The man who gave it to me used to make amazingly good bullwhips out of it, and used the goop to kep them conditioned.

Sorry I can't tell you more.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Sounds like a good concoction he made. Much appreciated.

Curley Cole

4Trod

Ya should have called me. I wear a neck sheath in my cas gear all the time. It is like the one listed in the Dixie Catalog...They look pretty simple to make, and you can add yer beadwork on to it..

Will see if I can find you a pix...or send one of mine..

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Forty Rod

Too late, Curly.  Look up about 3 or 4 posts.  But thanks anyway, and to everyone else who sent "kits", patterns, and suggestions.

Curley Cole

4Trod

Sorry guess I missed pages 3-5....OOPS!

cc
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Forty Rod

S'okay, Curly.  Post the pics anyway.  I'm still looking for bead patterns at this point.

Curley Cole

Furst offn....Happy B'day 4T, and mine don't have no bead work on it...its a plain jane...but i love it. 'cept one day we was all standin' around waitn for a match to start, and one of the guys said hey anyone got a knife I can borrow? I said nope...then realized I had on my neck knife, and a knife on the end of the watch chain my kids gave me, and a big ol Bowie knife on the gun belt, and finally I still had my little Colt (made in damn China) pocket knife in my pocket....Boy did I feel dumb.....

Curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Forty Rod

Well, what can I tell ya?  A regular cutlery shop and you forgot you had a knife?  Man, you need a keeper.  :-D

Old Top

Forty,

He has one but I screw up just as well as he does   ;D ;D ;D

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Forty Rod

Do I recall something about the blind leading the blind?  HA!

Curley Cole

I/He represent that remark......

Curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Forty Rod

Okay, now for the $64.00 question: which one is which?  :-D

Curley Cole

Oh We are interchangeable........(remember we have been pards for 45 some odd years) and some think we are pretty odd......<g>

cc
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Forty Rod

I've met you and you hombres might be odd, but you damn sure ain't pretty!

'Nuff said.  I feel a shootin' comin' on an' my irons ar at the smith's gettin' gamified. :-D

Old Top

Forty,

Where you shooting at?  We would be happy to join you and mock your shooting, I mean help assist with any problems you may have.

Old Top

Forty Rod

Mock MY shooting?  Shirley, you jest.

I mock my own shooting.  Get in line.  I'm thinking about shooting black powder blindfolded to give me an excuse for being so slow and inaccurate.

Old Top

Forty,

I have found I do not need the black powder or the blindfold to be slow and inaccurate, it seems to be a natural talent.  Curly on the other hand keeps waxing my ears back with his speed and accuracy, or at least it seems so the last four matches.

Old Top

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com