Card wads how do ya make them??

Started by Bristow Kid, December 30, 2006, 03:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bristow Kid

I should proably be posting this in BROW and proably will.  But I am working on new loads for my .45-70 Rolling Block.  I wanna make my own card wads and I was wondering what you pards use to punch them out?  I appreciate any help.

Bristow Kid
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy BK!

From Steel Horse's book, "Reloading for Cheap Ba$t...."  I recommend a 7/16" punch from a set of punches that was less than $4 at Harbour Freight.  I measured it at .454" which is perfect for 45 Colt and other pistol calibers.  HOWEVER, it seals well in MY 45-70 if it has been at least neck-sized.  (Hard to do, but not impossible in a 45-70.)  I save the cardboard cartons from Tropicana (and others) Orange Juice cartons.  You remember the cartons:  the old ones were cardboard covered with wax; the new ones are c-board covered with a type of soft plastic that still feels like the wax.  Using this type of wad insures that any lube cookie or BigLube (tm) bullet doesn't melt its lube and contaminate the powder.

Back to the wad punches.  Another option is to call Circle Fly and get some of their .463" wads at between $8 - $10 per thousand. I don't know if they have any treated wads, however, that would be a barrier between lube & powder.

As to the Cheapo solution:  there is some school of thought espoused by some FINE shooters and they don't resize the cases at all. The bullet is a slip-fit.  There are many ways of achieving success, Grasshopper.  (I'm STILL learning, too!  ;) )

Oh ... I didn't really write a book entitled "Reloading for Cheap Ba$t....",  but I've thought about it!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

hellgate

I concur completely with Mr. Baily. If you have a drill press you can cut felt wads out even easier over a wooden block. I have the hole punch set but lately have bought wads from Circle Fly. I make my own felt wads but the harder card, fiber or soft filler wads are so cost effective from circle Fly that I would recommend you save time and just buy your wads, You'd be surprised what they offer. But, you just might be one to contribute a chapter to Steel Horse's "Reloading for cheap Ba$t...s" book. I'm sure I could write a few chapters too.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Adirondack Jack

I've cut em, but last time I bought walters wads for the .50-70 and let it be at that.  they ain't THAT expensive, and assure ya got the same thing every time.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Steel Horse Bailey

Yeah ... Ya really gotta WANT  to punch out 1000 card wads by hand or press!  ??? :P ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Noz

If you do decide to use the punch, get a cheap plastic cutting boad to punch on. Way better than wood.
The metric Harbor Freight punch set has a 10.5 mm that fits my 41 cases perfectly.

Bristow Kid

Thanks for the information y'all much appreciated. 

SHB if you ever write that book I want a copy and I could proably contribute a chapter or two on bargin shopping.

HAPPY NEW YEAR and GOOD SHOOTIN' Y'ALL
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

gw

NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

Delmonico

I use a soft lead ingot to cut wads on, when it wears out I remelt it.  Don't cost me anything cause I got lots of them.  do you want to include that in yer book pard? ;D

BTW if anyone needs 32 wads just put a real sharp champher on a steel 7.62X39 case and cut the head off.  When it wears out after a while just make another one.  OK make that two entries in yer book for me Jeff. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Steel Horse Bailey

Good tip 'bout usin' that cutter on lead.  I've been usin' one of thos cut-helper vinyl/plastic/synthetic/whatever boards as suggested by Nozzie.  Works WAY better'n wood.

As to the book, well ... Thanks for the helpful add-ons for the chapter.  'Bout ANY shootin range open to the publik will prob'ly have plenty of those throw-away steel 7.62 X 39 cases lyin all 'round.

fourfingersofdeath

I used good old Govermint manilla floders to make card wads for my 44/40 92 when I had it, worked well. The punch set worked ok, but the next step was too big for the 45. I suppose you could drill one out. Circle fly are cheap, trouble is I have no idea what I want ???

Want to load 12Ga, 45Colt,  45ACP (ruger convertible), 44/40, 44 mag and special and of course, 45/70. I might load up some 38S&Ws as well for the nice little Po Po I have (Colt Police Positive.)
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

hellgate

Forufingers,
Hit the Circle fly website and you'll see they have all those diameters. Just mike the diameter of the bullets you shoot Or note the usual bore diameter and that is the card size.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

fourfingersofdeath

Quote from: hellgate on January 29, 2007, 09:22:55 PM
Forufingers,
Hit the Circle fly website and you'll see they have all those diameters. Just mike the diameter of the bullets you shoot Or note the usual bore diameter and that is the card size.

Welllllllllllll, I figured the calibre part out, but I'm not sure if I need card wads, felt wads, grease wads, and how thick for the various applications. I think I need to get the Lyman Black Powder book or something similar. Any recommendations. There seems to be a heap of people into muzzle loading (I mean around my way), but not many into cartridge BP shooting.

I'm going to a new cowboy range this weekend, maybe there will be some darksiders there whose brains I can pick.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

For .45 wads, I cut a belted magnum case at the neck & drill out the primer pocket to push out the wads. Chamfer well,may require resizing (run a .45-70 die over it, but WELL lubricated!) when it gets bentoutashape.  Lots of tips on what to use on the bench, but I have been using END GRAIN wood scrap held in a vice.  I will have to try that nylon cutting board idea!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com