Mauser totin' Man with No Name

Started by 44caliberkid, December 28, 2006, 06:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

44caliberkid

While researching some load data for the 7.62x25 cartridge, I ran across this German (I think?) website with movie posters for a Clint Eastwood type cowboy shooting a broom handle mauser.

http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/Englisch/7,63_Mauser.html

It would make a fun main stage gun.

Major 2

Eastwood type ?

He in fact did use a Mauser C96 in Joe Kidd
when planets align...do the deal !

44caliberkid

I recall that, although he "borrowed" the pistol from Don Stroud, after his untimely demise.   Joe Kidd was also quite a different character than that portrayed in the spagetti westerns.

Major 2

Your doing better than me....
All I recall was the Mauser C96.... no plot , aside from Clint no other cast  ::) nothing !

Just the Mauser C96 tunnel vision & the title .... chalk it up to old-timers disease
Oh ! also I seem to recall it was a magic Mauser C96, in that it could fire more rounds than the magazine held.

Delmonico

Mauser pistol, I don't 'member no Mauser pistol in that movie, a 1899 Savage seems to come to mind though. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Grizzle Bear

The best part of "Joe Kidd" was driving the locomotive through the saloon in order to catch the bad guys by surprise.

It sure worked!

;D ;D

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Delmonico

Quote from: Grizzle Bear on December 29, 2006, 12:57:12 PM
The best part of "Joe Kidd" was driving the locomotive through the saloon in order to catch the bad guys by surprise.

It sure worked!

;D ;D

Grizzle Bear

I must have missed that part, I was to interested in the 1899 Savage,  BTW I like 1899 Savages. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Gripmaker

Didn't Eastwood also make an "impossibly long" shot in that movie with a scoped rifle of some kind?  Seem to remember a scene where a rider falls from  his horse and then the sound of a rifle shot and the camera panning to a butte about two miles away. Next scene was Eastwood standing on a butte with rifle in hand. Weeelllll, maybe I dreamed that.

Delmonico

I may have to watch it again when it comes on, it has been years, but I am guessing it was the scoped Savage 1899.  I don't remember the exact time frame of that movie, but it sees to me to be right at the pre-WWI era.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Major 2

Quote from: Delmonico on December 30, 2006, 12:46:17 AM
I may have to watch it again when it comes on, it has been years, but I am guessing it was the scoped Savage 1899.  I don't remember the exact time frame of that movie, but it sees to me to be right at the pre-WWI era.

train ???  "I donnnn remember nough stinkin train..."
funny ! the only the guns

seems though it was Punitive Raid Era (Poncho Villa 'ish ) or just before...

Guess I better rent it  ::)

Will Ketchum

There was actually 2 scoped rifles.  One the long range sniper guy used while on the butte.  He was knocking off Kidd's companions so he opened the case put the gun together and took the shot, killing the sniper.  I get a chuckle out of that shot every time I watch it.  Shooting an unfamiliar rifle at an unknown distance without sighting in the rifle was a scratch shot if there ever was one.  Still a neat shot in a pretty good movie.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

St. George

The rifle in question was a Remington-Keene - and though I've got to admit that I only saw that movie in the theater when it first came out - the weapon struck a chord at the time.

Interesting rifle - the Remington-Keene - a bolt-action, firing a .45-70, and featuring a big exposed hammer.

Fun to shoot, too, as a buddy of mine got a fairly decent one from an estate sale and we had to try it out before it was re-sold.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Will Ketchum

Ah yes, the Remington Keen.  The bad guy in "Crossfire Trail"  used one.  It belonged to Kenny Howell and I actually got to shoot it after the movie was made. ;D

Will Ketchum

Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Trinity

Quote from: 44caliberkid on December 28, 2006, 06:36:44 PM
While researching some load data for the 7.62x25 cartridge, I ran across this German (I think?) website with movie posters for a Clint Eastwood type cowboy shooting a broom handle mauser.

http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/Englisch/7,63_Mauser.html

It would make a fun main stage gun.

That movie is known to the English speaking world as The Great Silence .  It was/is a highly regarded Spaghetti Western, but not one of my favorites because it has a European ending... depressing.  You might recognize Klaus Kinski (The face on the left) as the hunch-back in For a Few Dollars More .

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com