WHY did you choose to shoot a small caliber?

Started by SIR WILLIAM, October 16, 2004, 01:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Red O'Toole

I shoot .45s because that's what I started with.  Now, I have so much invested in .45s that a switch would be cost prohibitive.  I watch some of the guys shoot their .38s and wondered if I needed to go that route to compete.  Well, a little tinkering on the Dillon 650 and I have .45 loads that are a real joy to shoot.  They don't bother my arthritis any and I don't feel like I'm shooting magnums.  My brother, on the other hand, LIKES to shoot his PMC factory loads. 

L.G.

Until I started shooting in CAS, all I had was .44 Mag., Ruger Redhawks, and a Marling 1894C.  I sold those and got a pair of Vaqueros in .45 Colt and an EMF Hartford 1892 in .45 Colt and that's what I shoot.  Ok,Ok, I do shoot .38's in my derringer.
SASS #48097
NRA #2008175
Gateway Shootist Society
Member of The Torque and Recoil Club
WartHog
B.O.S.S. #19
RATS #130
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/Slingshot383

Iron Mule

hello i shoot 38s because they are what was available to start with also my son is starting to shoot also mostly 22 but 38 some he is eight and for me it is not what or how you shoot it is the fun and time to be with him that i am looking for // so to each his own just all enjoy and have fun also try to spend some time with a new shooter help them understand so they can have fun also
proud papa of tin burro sas#62404 ///bold#617

El Peludo

I shot them - .38Spl/.357Mag - when I started CAS 'cause that's what I'd been shooting forever, before then, and just seemed natural to keep on keepin' on.  Now, I've been "layin' off" of shooting for most of the last several years, and have accumulated a complete outfit in .44-40, so when I get back at it, I'll be "Warthogging it", on the dark side, to boot.  But, if the CTS and 'Ritis family decide to get their backs up, I guess I can always fall back on the .38s.  :o ::) ;D
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Dakota Sharp Shooter

I started with 357's in som Rugers and a Marlin. I switched to 44-40's fer authenticity and the wife started shootin. the 357's. Now she is shootin' 44-40's, still got the Marlin, but sold The Rugers. I'm thinkin' on gettin' a set of 32-20's fer the lighter side ;D Just love the authenticity.

Dakota Sharp Shooter
Soot Serf WORTHOG Gunfighter
SCORRS
SBSS #1435 Golden Bullet Imortal
GOFWG #66
RATS #139

Ringo Steele

I had 44 extra longs, but they bothered my wrists for days after a shoot. Went to 357 in both pistols and rifle. Sold the Rem '75, and replaced it with a Rem NMA 36 cal. They all have plenty of get-up-and-go when loaded with 777.  ;D
Don't have any more wrist pain after the shoots, either!

Forty Rod

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

El Paso Pete

I shoot a .45 cal. cause Rooger don't make a .50 cal. :-[
El Paso Pete   SASS #55577L  RATS #1
Mules,  Whiskey,  Diamonds,  Nails,  Gold Mines,  Fly Swatters,  Barbed Wire,  Oil Wells,  Runnin Irons.
Governments Run, Revolutions Started, Uprising Quelled, Bridges Destroyed, Saloons Emptied, Whiskey Bonded, Taxes Collected, Gold Mines Salted

EL PASO PETE'S MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
Simply return the unused portion of the product and
El Paso Pete will refund the unused portion of your money.

Mustang Gregg

We all shoot them WIMPY .44 Mag guns in our gang.   Some Win 231.  Some APP smoky stuff.
(1)  We started with it.  Had 'em already in six-guns & rifles.
(2)  They do a fine job on knockdowns.  100 % so far!
(3)  My wife & kids handle them jus' fine.
(4)  Them guns can be loaded up to mag velocities for huntin'.
(5)  We already had the castin' & 'loadin' gear.
(6)  We're stayin' wit' 'em.

MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

jrdudas

Quote from: Bear Rider on October 16, 2004, 11:15:18 AM
Blondetta,

For me, the choice was simple. I don't have a place right now to reload, and I can buy a box of .38s for less than $5. A box of .45s is about twice that. Even were I reloading, .38s would still be cheaper than larger calibers.

Where do you find .38's for less than $5 a box.  I'm new to CAS and shooting .38 caliber; the absolute cheapest I have found is $6.99 plus shipping.  I don't have any reloading equipment so $5 a box would be a significant savings.

JR

Badlands Walker

Curley Cole

When i started in CAS less than a year ago, I had 2 Dakota's one in 45lc and one in 357 and a Rossi 92 in 357. I loaded both cals. Now I have a full brace (plus extra) in both cals. and added a Brass 92 in 45lc.

My shooting and my arthritis (which is getting really bad, the arthritis, not the shooting) seem to lean toward the 357's for hand guns and the 45 rifle is really sweet to shoot long with.

so guess I can answer to both..I shoot small and large.. and love both of them.

cc
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Fannie Kikinshoot

I started shooting .32s when I changed to Lady Gunfighter.  What prompted it?  Well, I won a Ruger Vaquero in .32 at Mule Camp 2 years ago, and then Bulls Head bought me the mate for our anniversary last year.  I thought that it would be fun to try, and by golly, I was right.  I still shoot .357s and .38s in my Marlin, though. 
Carolina Belle, born and bred.

www.carolinabelles.net/vb
Is that a ten gallon hat, or you enjoying the show?

The Arapaho Kid

I shoot .32-20 exclusively in both my long guns and sixshooters.  When I came into CAS I already had an old Winchester Model 1892 in .32-20.  It had been a wall hanger for years.  I had it overhauled and shot it and it worked just fine.  Thinking about sixshooters I decided on .32-20 because I wouldn't have to buy two different types of ammo for shoots.  With .32-20 there's less recoil and I stay on target better.  I've gotten a lot of flack about my "wimpy" caliber, but caliber doesn't win matches.  Target hits do.

El Deguello

Started with 45s because that was all I had.  After first 4 day event the arthritis in both hands started barkin' - LOUD.  Went with Ruger Blackhawk's in 38, needed less recoil and larger sights.  Now using RV's in 38/357.  The weight of them irons help absorb recoil, they also recoil differently than hog legs. It's accumulative.
In respect of God, Country & Flag. 
http://www.freewebs.com/eldeguello/index.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com