Would you buy a HRAC rifle if it had the 1860 style mag tube and barrel???

Started by Dakota Widowmaker, November 22, 2006, 11:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If the Henry Repeating Arms Company of New York were to make a model with a sleeved barrle that had a full length integrated magazine tube like the 1860 Henry does, would you buy one?

Yes, its American made and would be "good enough"
10 (12.8%)
Nope, its still not close enough... get a rope
43 (55.1%)
I might not buy one, but, I would certainly appreciate the historical effort enough not to make fun of those who bought one
25 (32.1%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Dakota Widowmaker

This is in response to a number of folks who have emailed me and asked about it.

Were that it were done, and the fact that the company has put efforts into getting skeptics to change their minds, would you consider such a thing... ???

As a moderator, I will say that such an effort is to be appreciated, even if it were done by an enterprising individual on their own rifle.

But, I leave it upto the members/voters at large to decide. (non-binding vote)

[EDIT: Please no flame wars on how you like or dislike the company]

[EDIT: Comments on caliber suggestions would also be out of scope for this poll, but, you can comment on how it would effect your vote]

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy!

Without the rope comment, I vote(d) NO.

However, I've heard SOME decent things about the BigBoy and IF a person weren't concerned about authenticity, ( ... think SASS and FUN shooting/hunting/plinking - NOT  a SASS slam)   it should be considered.  I've heard NOTHING BUT GOOD about their 22s.

It's hard for me to understand slamming a company which tries to make a decent shooter in these days and times.  We (freedom-loving shooters) need all the help we can get!!!!!  (Hope that comment isn't too political!  :( )

My biggest (perhaps only REAL COMPLAINT) problem is about the "name" and their lineage claims - but I'm not privy to their family ties, etc.  (Imperato IS something of a stretch to connect to Henry ... but there's always marraige!   ;) )

Hey!  Ruger makes fine guns, but they only RESEMBLE old Colts.  I own a Ruger (and Love it!) and have owned about 10.  I just don't shoot my Birdhead Vaquero at NCOWS shoots!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Tuolumne Lawman

I admit that I tend to be somewhat of an authenticity snob.  Maybe it's the Civil War re-enactor in me.

With that prejudice aside, I think that we should not slam them even now.  From what I hear, they make quality guns.  The magazine tube on the big boy allows the magazine to be emptied without working the action.  That's great on a hunting gun.  If they would have made it top eject at least!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Dakota Widowmaker

Well, the point about a top eject is well known, but, its not something HRAC owners wish they had. (from those I have heard from)

Lots of good arguments have been made (privately) about letting them "into the club", as it were.

I am REALLY tempted to pick up a 22lr model with the john wayne loop just for the heck of it. (provided I have funds for it)

I can't comment on the historical legacy of the company either. That has been beat to death elsewhere on this and many other boards.
(no, there is no "bloodline", only a name purchase ... but that happens all the time these days ... just not very common in the gun industry)

Anyhow, the fact remains, there is no room (currently) for the HRAC rifle at NCOWS events, but, there is in SASS.

That said, post to your hearts content... and thanks for keeping it civil.

litl rooster

SHJB and others, Rugar does not make claims of being Sam Colt................Nor Marlin to Winchester heck even the Chineese are not taking claim to being related to Winchester.  I believe there PR work at HRAC smelled funny from the git go. I have seen there cowboy guns at matches, I don't believe I want one, unless it's  a really good deal $$$$. I don't shoot at NCOWS so authenticty is not the most important thing to my shooting. Honesty is everything if you want my money though.

Imperato= mebbe it's Henry J Ford
Mathew 5.9

Coffinmaker

Well,

I don't really care for the Big Boy "as is."  Not a name thing, just a personal preference.  I couldn't wait to get my hands on the new side loading "transitional" and was the first kid on my block to get one.  THEY ARE EXPENSIVE!!!
Now, if we add a well made rifle to the mix, that more shooters can afford, we have improved the mix.  The "Big Boy" does that.  If it had a Henry Pattern barrel, and remained priced "right" it would be a fine addition.

I still wouldn't buy one.

I'm saving up for a CCH Iron Frame like Driftwood's.

Coffinmaker

Major 2

voting I had to go with # 3

I might not buy one , that's true...

The effort ....  ::)   only if they made a true copy would I appreciate the effort.

I would not criticize anyone who bought one,
anymore than I would think to criticize some one who buys a transfer bar equipped revolver.

I do question the Company's production of a laser engraved , slect wood , Big Boy for nearly $2000....

when planets align...do the deal !

Ottawa Creek Bill

Nope....its a non-gun and the only way I would welcome it (or anyone who shoots one) is if they revamped the tooling and made an exact replica....if Uberti can do it...they can too. With all the chicannery that they did when they first brought their rifle out, I don't think I could trust them. Right now its good for a boat anchor.

OCB
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Ransom Gaer

I would not be likely to get one.  I want a historically accurate Henry and for me that means one of the Uberti 1860 Henrys.  I am planning on getting one after Christmas.  The one compromise I'll make is in caliber.  The Ubertis are close enough.

I have been to a few matches where somebody had a Henry Big Boy.  They may be perfectly good guns; when in the right caliber, for hunting but every one I've seen at a match has had problems.  It seems the ones I've seen, the shooters have been able to get ahead of them and the rifles jam.  That is part of the reason I prefer the toggle link designs like the 1860 Henry, 1866 and 1873.  I see fewer problems.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Driftwood Johnson

That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Ottawa Creek Bill

Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Modoc

I voted for the non heckel.  I am a firm beleiver of "to each his own".  I have 3 '92s for general and and a Navy Arms iron frame '60 for when the "bug" bites ;D.
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Roland

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on November 22, 2006, 06:16:46 PMHey!  Ruger makes fine guns, but they only RESEMBLE old Colts.  I own a Ruger (and Love it!) and have owned about 10.  I just don't shoot my Birdhead Vaquero at NCOWS shoots!

I feel that way about the 1873 Win. I love the gun and I'm getting one but I would also love to have one with the strength of a model 94 while being externally like the '73 (don't much like the 94 look). Since I'm not a CAS shooter as much as a western affectionado/gun nut the lack of authenticity wouldn't matter to me. I'd get both!
Long days, pleasant nights.

The Avocado Kid

"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Dakota Widowmaker

Folks, I do appreciate your input.

At this time, they will not be added to the roll call.

I got a chance to shoot a 45lc model and it is w/o a doubt a VERY nice shooter with a darn good action.

anyhow, time marches on...

Panhandle Slim

I didn't answer the poll, but I will say this.

If HRAC made an 1860 clone and it was as close as modern manufacturing and safety regulations allowed, I'd buy one. If it looked every bit as good as the Uberti does, yes I would still buy one.  I recently bought my wife a brass frame HRAC 22, and I have to say, it is the most rock-solid, finest looking 22 I've ever bought or owned.  I'm still wondering why I even bothered to give it to her. I WANT IT!!  So, yes.  I'd give HRAC benefit of the doubt if they decided to produce an 1860 clone.
C. Erroll Madre, SASS #67854

BlaiseNSaddles

I answered yes.  I shoot primarily for fun and though I appreciate the historical accuracy it is not as important to me.

That being said and since it will not go into production then it is a moot point. 

Off hand though a longer barrel version of the regular Big Boy would be nice.

sundance44`s

I`d be just as quick to wear a dress .......as buy a HRAC rifle .... :-*
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

The Avocado Kid

They should make a replica of the Henry rifle an exact replica....what they are making now is....I'm sure, a good shooter....but come on give us a break here....farb is farb....Dusty.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Major 2

about a month ago, I traded for my 3rd Henry...an Iron Frame...
stupidly sold my 1st. in 1988 after 8 years of shooting....

Numbers 2 & 3 are both in the safe and are main match ... but you will find no "Big Boy" in there.....
( you will also not find short strokes or Alum. Carriers )

I understand their 22's are nice shooters, they might had better , stayed there.
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com