availability?

Started by Doc Nelson, November 14, 2006, 03:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Nelson

I'd like to get a pair of OT's in .38 sp  and 5 1/2" bbl but I want the Army grip. Is there a retailer out there that will do this for me?

And since I've never even seen a R-M, what are the differences between the two types? I mean mechanically. It appears to me that the OT's are very similar to SAA's, possibly even to the point of being able to interchange several parts including the grip frame. The R-M's I'm not so sure about. Are the internals the same as OT's and are they both the same as '73's?

I'm finding it difficult to get any info in my area 'cause nobody around here shoots them or carries them. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doc Nelson

Abilene

Howdy Doc,
The R-M's have the rear sight on the hammer versus on the barrel for the OT, and the R-M's have the conversion ring, plus the '51 R-M has an octagonal barrell.  Internally, some parts interchange, some don't.  You can check VTI's website or Cimarron's website for parts diagrams and parts lists for specifics.  Between the Model P and Opentop, only the springs interchange internally.

As far as grip frames, the Navy and Army gripframes of the R-M's and OT's are the same.  In general these can interchange with the Model P (screw locations are the same) but may require some fitting.  For example, I tried putting the brass Navy grip and frame from an R-M onto a Model P, but the cutout for the trigger wasn't in the same place and the Model P trigger was against the back of the slot and couldn't be pulled.  Keep in mind that the Navy grip on the OT/conversion is also shaped a little differently than the Model P, so those don't interchange unless you also swap the grip frames.  I've also put Thunderer birdshead grips and gripframes onto a R-M.

While the 7 1/2" OT in .38 can be had with either Army or Navy grips, I seem to recall that the 5 1/2" is only available with the Navy grip (can't find my pricelist and it is possible that has changed).  In the R-M, the .44/45 model comes only with Army grip, and the .38 comes only with Navy grip, regardless of barrel length.

It will be difficult to find a retailer who will change the grips for you.  They would have to have an inventory of grips and frames on hand and be willing to swap, or else swap them between guns they have in stock.  I know of one dealer who used to do this occasionally but they are no longer in business.  Couldn't hurt to ask, though.  But keep in mind that other folks are also always wanting to swap to larger or smaller gripframes, so if you get the guns with Navy grips it shouldn't be too hard to find someone with Army grips who wants to swap.  Just put an ad in the classifieds.

Good luck!

Baron von Haltomstadt

You might try Paul Wright at Two Wright Arms, in Springtown, TX. He has made a number of custom open tops and R-Ms for me and others. I had army grips put on everything I have. He is working on another for me at the present time. Although mine are .44 Colt and .44 Spl., I see know reason that he couldn't do a .38.... All it takes is being prepared to pay extra for something special and waiting until it can be done. I am very pleased with this shop and recommend them highly. Contact Paul at twowrightarms@earthlink.net or phone 817-677-2957. He also advertises on www.gunsamerica.com under the name Two Wright Arms. You can see some of his current inventory there. I hope this helps a bit....
Terry  
AKA: Baron von Haltomstadt
(Formerly: Marshal Dusty Drywash)
North Central Texas Territories
BOLD RATS SASS NRA-Life USFA-CSS STORM SCORRS BOSS

Doc Nelson

Thanks boys,
I'll be looking around a bit I reckon.

Doc Nelson

Coffinmaker

Doc,

The Army grip frames are not available from the retailers or importers for the gun(s) you want.  However, my suggestion would be to order a brass Army Grip frame "set" from VTI gunparts for the 1860 Army.  Same frame and the "set" includes the wood.  Fitting the grip frame, trigger guard frame to the OT would be fairly straight forward and you won't have to mess with the re-blue of a steel frame.
I have done this for several of my customers and it is fairly simple.  Brass frames look really good on the CCH Open Top.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com