Old time dyes: a How_to

Started by Nolan Sackett, November 07, 2006, 09:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on May 26, 2011, 12:37:37 PM
2W, the one I use is the Lexol Leather Conditioner.

Thanks Will, that is the one I thought folks were recommending, but I get confused easily.  ;D
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Looks like Will answered you, I use the Lexoil conditioner, and also use the cleaner some times, a lot of times you can find the Lexoil Conditioner at hardware stores, you're not always limited to Tandy's, even Feed &Seed.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on May 26, 2011, 06:31:08 PM

Looks like Will answered you, I use the Lexoil conditioner, and also use the cleaner some times, a lot of times you can find the Lexoil Conditioner at hardware stores, you're not always limited to Tandy's, even Feed &Seed.

tEN wOLVES  ;D

Thanks Ten Wolves, We do have a large feed store so will check there.

Ned Buckshot

The last Lexol I bought I got at Ace Hardware!

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: Ned Buckshot on May 27, 2011, 02:48:13 AM
The last Lexol I bought I got at Ace Hardware!

Ned

Thanks Ned, guess I had better look around better.  We have an Ace.

LoneRider

OK, I brewed up a gallon of really strong tea, let it cool, set in sun for 2 days, hardly any color on a scrap piece! Do I need to add IRON in tea also? I don't seem to have anything IRON around here! Even all the nails I have here are galvanized. Tell me what am I looking for that's IRON. Steel wool??? ???
Happy Trails

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

If you can't find anything, and if you have a magnet, you can drag it in the dirt and collect iron.

look for rusty metal too, it usually is mostly iron, it only takes a little to darken the color, tea won't give as dark a color as coffee will, but that's your choice to make.

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Cyrus Sears

I started my batch of vinegaroon about 3 weeks ago (small test piece looked great) and I recently dyed a shotgun belt.  The leather appears a little grayish right now.  Below are the steps I did on the belt.  Let me know where I went wrong and what I need to do to get the belt a deeper black.

1.  Soaked belt in vinegaroon for about 6 hours.
2. Took it out of the dye and let it dry about 18 hrs.
3. Soaked it in baking soda mixture for about 15 minutes to half hour. (bubbling seemed to stop)
4.  Rinsed thoroughly with running water.
5.  Layed belt flat to dry.

The belt has been drying now for about 20 hours now.  I am not sure if the gray goes away with time or if the finishing applications(like evoo/neatsfoot oil, etc) will take the gray out.  Your advice is appreciated.  FYI...this is my first leather project.
Cyrus Sears
SASS #30369

1st Lt. Cyrus Sears earned the Medal of Honor at the Battle of Iuka with the 11th Ohio Light Artillery Battery during the Civil War.  I use to mow around his grave as part of a past summer job.

Chuck 100 yd

The gray tinge should go away when you oil it.
That said, I always do the baking soda thing right after the leather comes out of the roon.
I pull the item from the roon,wash off good with clean water (garden hose), dip in baking soda/water solution for a few minutes and back to the garden hose for several minutes. shake off whatever water I can and let it dry for a few days.
glue,sew,oil,finish as needed.  ;)

ChuckBurrows

How I do it most times:
I use de-oiled 4/0 steel wool: dip in acetone, squeeze out the extra and hang to dry - then tear or cut into small pieces. Add one pads worth of the de-oiled steel wool to one quart of white or cider vinegar - I use those plastic coffee "cans" and punch a single small hole in the lid to let of any gas buildup. Let it set in the hot sun which will speed the reaction.
I let it set for about two weeks until there is only a light vinegar odor left and/or the bulk of the steel wool has been dissolved. I also keep a new batch "cooking" all the time so I have a constant supply.
For the deepest black, apply a bath of strong black tea first (this increase the tannins) and let it soak in good, then apply a generous amount of the vinegar black. (the tea can be added just before or just after the vinegar black)
Let set for about a half hour at most and then IMMEDIATELY rinse with a mix of baking soda and warm water, about a 1/8 cup soda to a half gallon of water, apply  let set for a few moments only and then rinse off (letting the baking soda set too long can and will cause alkali burn and this can lead to destruction of the leather - NO MORE than a minute or two at most is necessary).
While still damp apply a light coat or two of your favorite saddle oil. Once dry top coat as normal
Experiment - I test a piece of each new side without oiling to see how well it takes the blacking, if need be I'll do a second black tea mix to darken, then apply the oil which also helps darken.

Instead of steel wool you can use chopped up bailing or fence wire - the smaller the better since it will dissolve in the vinegar bath faster.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Cyrus Sears

Thanks for the advice. Will it hurt anything if I put it back in the vinagaroon for a while and start the dying process over?
Cyrus Sears
SASS #30369

1st Lt. Cyrus Sears earned the Medal of Honor at the Battle of Iuka with the 11th Ohio Light Artillery Battery during the Civil War.  I use to mow around his grave as part of a past summer job.

Wolf Tracker

It shouldn't hurt to put it back in but try to add a little evoo or neatsfoot to a small section first. It should blacken up to your liking.
A man, a horse, and a dog never get weary of each other's company.

Boothill Bob

Howdy..
Now I boiling some dye of black walnut Hull. I use the crushed variety and about 2.5 gallons of water .. we'll see how it has been about three days ..
Maby I have to reduce it some, its my first time on this..
//BhB
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

WaddWatsonEllis

Boothill Bob,

I have a country road that was planted with English Walnut trees to provide shade form the intense sun down in the Delta..

And since no one harvests the shells (too small), I was thinking about harvesting some to get the husks from them to make some leather dye ...

My only question is; how many pounds/kilos of husk did you use to 2 1/2 gallons of water?

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Boothill Bob

Wadd, I used 1 pound of the powdered stuff. But I dont know how it will come out yet  :)
Do any of you dip the finiched cartridge belts or do you dip the parts and then put them together ???

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Bob, good for you, once you get to know how this natural dye works, you will be very happy with it, on your question, you can dye your leather first or last, that's up to you, myself, I like the aged antique look, so I finish my work all except final finishing and burnishing and submerge my work in the dye, this will color/age your thread enough to make it look old and aged , the length of time I leave it in, depends on how strong my dye is, and also how a particular hide takes the dye, there are lots of variables here, which is what I like, you're not just stuck with one color or shade, you can create your own color and shade by testing before you dye your finished piece or leather you will be working with.

tEN wOLVES  ;D 

Boothill Bob

Thanx 10WF. I´ll try with a test peice first.. But if I have a lined belt and a lined speed holster with metal, can I still put it together and then submerge it?
Or maby just use the natural dye for the autentic rigs and oil dye for the modern ones. How would you do?

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

outrider

Bob...why can you not dye before assembly???
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Boothill Bob

Outrider. I can do that, just a little lazy  ;)

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Bob, if you're not using steel for your insert, you can submerge, but if not I would dye my leather first, if it's aluminum, you're good to go, you just do not want any metal that can rust if you choose to submerge.

tEN wOLVES  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com