I seem to recall ???

Started by Major 2, September 26, 2006, 07:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Major 2

Last night just before dozing off... I was laying there thinking...

I recalled when I was a kid there was a Toy manufacturer that made an Open top model.
( I do know Revell made a Plastic Kit model of the 1860 Army )
I'm thinking this was a metal cap firing revolver, does anyone recall this toy ?

I think it came out before the Fanner Fifty by Mattel.
That would be circa 1956 and no self-respecting young cowboy would be without Mattel's "Fanner fifty" cap pistol with it's
plastic ivory grips and a brown plastic leather holster.
Following the FF were the Shoot'n' Six fired 6 plastic bullets. I had a pair of those too...

I also seem to recall Parnell Roberts Adam on "Bonanza" carried a Richard's Conversion in the early episodes.
In fact , if memory serves Paw & Hose carried Remington's and Little Joe had a 51 Navy.
Perhaps, the Show gave rise to that Open-Top Cap pistol.
It was never as popular as the Fanner Fifty, nor was the Paladin  " Have Gun Will Travel " Gun set w/real wood grips and quite good black leather holster.

Anyway , I dozed off remembering the old day's of Toy Replica's not he PC red muzzled junk of today...

when planets align...do the deal !

Major 2

Well here she is...
Made by Hubley

Major 2

gw

I actually had one of these when I was a kid. Had a holster/ belt for it to but I can't remember if it came with the gun or not. What became of it I'll never know, I've been tempted a few times over the years by ones I've seen for sale. I aways thought it was a '60 conversion of sorts, heck when I was a kid it was the coolest gun I had period. Thanks for sharing this with us.
NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

Major 2

No problem I'm enjoying the search

while speaking of conversions here is a famous one:

One a side note Steve McQueen wanted to make " The Magnificent Seven "
but his TV series contract would not let him....
McQueen used sick leave ( recovering from a car crash ) to star in arguably one of the best westerns ever.

Major 2

Aside from the OT Hubley's

Mattel was a kids best friend in the fifties

The Shooting Six

And the action Belt Buckle

I had both  :)

They were,  as the Ad read....Spitt'n' image

Ozark Tracker

Boy, those pictures bring back a lot of memories.  I can remember taking my fanner 50's to school, they had us hang them in the coat room but at recess we were free to take them out on the play ground and gun down anybody we wanted.  :o

just don't let a cap go off inside the school house.  course they let us carry knives to school back then too.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Major 2

Hubley's  45

Uberti's Tiffany Model

AH ! The fifties when every backyard was the Old West....
Every night had a western on TV,  some in new fangled Living Color!

Black River Smith

My cousin had one of the belt buckle derringers.  I never had the FF or anyother better pistols just the standard capguns.  I did have a Rifleman's Rifle.  It had the little sliding finger on the lever to activate the trigger.

Black River Smith

Major 2

Recall it well BR Smith  :)

It had a little angle piece attached to the lever when flipped forward it cought the trigger a fired the rifle.

There were a lot of cool guns in that era

Mattel had a Rolling block Remington carbine 

Hubley also made a Remington 1858 Army Pistol

And Daisy  had the Spitt'n Image 94 Winchester

Four-Eyed Buck

Well here's my Fanner on my loading room wall 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Four-Eyed Buck

And the belt buckle derringer. Still need the Winchester............. 8) ::)

Black River Smith

Four-Eye, you are a luck man.

Yes Major that was the one I was thinking of.  Ah the good days of the late 50's early 60's WB or Desilo Cowboy series.

I would have to say I went through 3 pair of cap guns before graduating to the BB gun.  I had 'one' Spittin-Image through my BB gun years. I can't imagine just how many tubes of Daisy BB's went through that rifle.  My parents yard could be considered a copper mine. When it did finally break the next thing I had was a Crosman CO2 Peacemaker 22.  I owned that up till about '85.  The seals were gone and back then it cost too much to repair or so I was told.  I still wish I had that pistol.

Black River Smith

Four-Eyed Buck

Here's a site for a guy who repairs the BB type guns..........www.daisyrepair.com/

Major 2

I'd buy one of the Buckels , if I ever find one again.....
I wonder what ever happed to mine....? ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com