Persona and getting Started in NCOWs

Started by Samuel Kiteman Cody, September 06, 2006, 09:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samuel Kiteman Cody

Howdy all,

I am on the brink of joining NCOWS. I have my persona. It is one the most popular, dangerous, reviled and largely forgotten careers of the west. I am planning to be a Surveyor/Platter. So my questions.
1. I can choose two time periods of life, Active vs retired. Most Surveyors were younger and moved on into other careers as they got older. I am not young but have the historical knowledge and put forth either persona. So do I play my age or take the role if I were 2- years younger? If retired, they would generally take either "good" careers such as County Clerks or Judges, Or "bad" careers including Land regulators for the highest bidder. The younger would be ~1867-1880, The Older would be 1880-1898. Clothes and armament would need to be appropriate. As I shoot with an 1866 and,1892 Winchesters, 1858 C&B or with R&D converter and smaller Pocket Pistols. The armament is not an issue. Clothing would be.

2. Many of the surveyors included the good and the bad. Most were independent and honorable. But a few became land enforcers for hire. These would do "special jobs" for the railroads, Mining concerns, etc to assist in making sure the survey tipped in a certain way. Thus the next question, Good vs Bad. This would determine the attire as well.

3.  Instruments of the trade, I have the Standard Tools of the Trade for the period, Chain, Compass, Sextant, and Transit. For realism, it would be appropriate to have them at an event. But I would prefer to use substitutes. or is it even necessary?

Many a surveyor had their life in danger as they surveyed through Indian Territories or even marking where the County seat would be in Western Kansas.
All suggestions and brickbats gladly taken

Cheers

Samuel "kiteman" Cody
Never underestimate the power of Stupidity,
or
a 45-90 Winchester Express

What Are you Gawkin' at?

Delmonico

Either way just basic work clothes would be what you want or at least to start.  The idea that a good guy vs bad guy dressed different is just a Hollywood image.  Just like today most jobs did not really have a dress code.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Will Ketchum

Samuel, first welcome to our forum and to NCOWS.

Not only can you have 2 different dates for your persona you can have more than one!  I think your idea of being a surveyor is a great idea.  They sure had a lot of influence on how things  developed in the West.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Irish Dave

Sam:
Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. There are lots of good NCOWS folks like Del, Will and many others who will be eager to assist you with any questions you may have.  (And maybe even provide more advice than you really wanted) ;D

Looking forward to your actually "taking the plunge" and signing up.
We're glad to have you at the camp.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

River City John

Dr. Bob will chime in here. He has portrayed a Topographical Engineer and even has some period intsruments he has displayed.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Books OToole

SKC;

My "Originals" character was assigned to the AT&SF RR survey teams (1877).  He was a scout and 'guardians angel' to protect them from the Commanche while surveying from Dodge City to Raton Pass.  Having worked as a chain man for a surveyor as a young man it was a good fit. [Actually chained for Dr. Bob when he portrayed a surveyor.]

I'm sure Dr. Bob will chime in here soon.  As you are close by, you should join us at the KVC 1880s town in October.  We can share information/research and get you going PDQ.

Books

G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Trap

Samuel, Hadn't seen that you are from our neck of the woods (prairie). Definitely , you need to come to The KVC events, also some of us are going to invade the CCC match Sept 22-24. Are you going to be there? If so we will be the primative camp. Hope to meet you soon (if we have not already met. Don't recognize the alias)
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Samuel Kiteman Cody

If you saw me, You might recognize me. I have been a Gawker for many a year. I have just joined recently because, I am no longer held back by funds or sheepishness. I have been shootin' since kneehigh to a grasshopper. But was always amazed at the amount of shots required at some matches. I was taught to shoot by my grandpa. His attitude was if you can't hit it with two shots you shouldn't be hunting. Consequently, when I was growing up near Sterling, I was only given three shells for the double-barrel. The expectation was I had to learn to hit with one shot.

One of the reasons I chose surveyor was having some of the tools of the trade and that I collect Kansas maps. I have maps from 1823 through 1945. I figure I can find my way about and can speak to the persona with some expertise.  My great-step grandfather was a judge in New Mexico Territories at the turn of the Century and before that a Surveyor. There was one comment in his memoirs about the surveyors who dipped at Railroad rainbarrel too often always had the better equipment and nicer clothes. Thus my comment about attire.

btw: The reason for the third shell was that if you pulled the back trigger first, sometimes both barrels would go off. That was the bonus shot.

Cheers

Samuel "kiteman" Cody
or

What Are you Gawkin' at?

Delmonico

I found a picture of some surveyors last night but forgot to bring the book from upstairs when I was at home and had a scanner.

By doing a perrsona that you know a bit about makes it easier if you want to branch out into the living history aspect of things.

One example of one in the 90's was Jules Sandoz here in Nebraska, he located settlers and was no pretty picture to look at.  I'll see if I can dig up his picture also.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Trap

Samuel,  I lived in Hutch until 1970 . Hunted around Nickerson , Sterling and parts south and west. even dated a girl from Sterling.  Where do you live now?      jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Sam Perfye

SKC, Nothing says you can have only one personna. Have you considered two personnas, one a younger version being "good", the other an older "bad" person? Research and developing personnas is half the fun. Trap, Dr. Bob, and Ottawa Creek Bill can give you more details. Good luck and welcome to the fire. Al
Raise the Black Flag and ride hard boys, Our cause is just and our enemies our many.

Samuel Kiteman Cody

Quote from: Trap on September 07, 2006, 05:22:02 PM
  Samuel,  I lived in Hutch until 1970 . Hunted around Nickerson , Sterling and parts south and west. even dated a girl from Sterling.  Where do you live now?      jt

Grew up iin between Sterling and Nickerson on Old K14 until 69 then moved to Ottawa. Then experienced life as we know it in various parts. Been in Merriam since 88. Still have relatives in the area and can point to my ancestors on one side being one of the early names of Hutch. Get back there frequently My favorite memories about growin up there was  it is a breeze until about 20-25 mph.Then you might call it windy.  And don't get me started about swiming in the ArKANsas river.

Cheers

Samuel "kiteman" Cody
or

What Are you Gawkin' at?

Guns Garrett

I had a Gr-Gr? Uncle who was a surveyor/platter.  He layed out a town in Woodson County, KS. The folks liked it so much, they named it after him - Yates Center.  (actually, Ol' Uncle Abner sold them the land, as well).  His niece Harriet married my Great Grandfather in 1888.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Trap

NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Dr. Bob

Howdy SKC,

Welcome to NCOWS!  I have been re-enacting a surveyor for nearly 20 years.  I dress as a professional person would.  In the field, that would inclued a vest.  The surveyor supervised the crew, 2 chainmen, 1 or 2 men to clear the line of the survey in wood/high brush, and possible a wrangler and cook, depending on where they were.  The pictures I have seen of survey parties and exploration parties were mostly dress in that manner.

Being Dr. Bob, I use a Doctors bag to carry my ammo, ear plugs, safety glasses &c.  I don't take my medical equipment with me to shoots.  I shoot Working Cowboy [1 revover & 1 rifle] so the Dr.'s bag is sufficient.

Good or bad is up to you.  County clerk has options for any variation.  Pure as the driven snow to bribe taking crook!

I sure am willing to help in any way I can.

My cell, best to call me on, is 816-716-8866.  Call any time, Noon to Midnight.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

O.T. Buchannan

SKC, welcome to NCOWS.  It sounds like you are definitely on the right track!!!
"If the grass is greener on the other side, water your OWN lawn."

deucedaddyj

If anyone ever wants to see a good collection of surveying equipment, the Texas Rangers Hall Of Fame in Waco has a great display. They also have guns confiscated from Bonnie & Clyde & John Dillinger. Last time I was there, they had about 3 or 4 original Walkers also!

I don't know if it's just me, but the original Walkers seem bigger than the reproductions. The grips were definetly larger.

O.T. Buchannan

Deuce, that is a museum I would definitely love to check out, if the opportunity presents itself...
"If the grass is greener on the other side, water your OWN lawn."

Books OToole

You can see the museum from I-35 at the Trinity(I think) river.  I have been past it but I always seem to be on a schedual and can't stop.  Maybe that's where I'll go on my Memorial Day junket.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

deucedaddyj

I think it might be the Brazos, Books. The Trinity is up in Dallas.

It's a real neat place. Texas Rangers have a history of carrying highly customized sidearms, and they have a lot of them on display. The bulk of them are 1911's and SAA's.

I think they might just have a Patterson also.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com