Gunfighter Ordinar. . . .

Started by Dick Dastardly, August 28, 2006, 10:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Dastardly

Shot the Wisconsin State SASS Championship match this last weekend at the WOWS Boyceville club.  Won 3rd place for shootn' Gunfighter.  Problem is, I was shootn' my ROAs GF style with the original C&B cylinders in the Frontiersman class.  I was shootn' 'em Gunfighter cuz the match director said it was ok.  Anyway, I got mention and a certificate that says I was third best Gunfighter.  For a Gunfighter Ordinar, this is something akin to WOW!  I even had some cap failures and the last stage, three chambers failed to fire cuz I changed from Remington to CCI caps.

FWIW, the DD/ROA bullets performed great.  The loading stand on my gun cart worked great.  I managed to do posse work and still have my stuff together enuf that I didn't slow down the posse.  Had a great time at a really well run shoot.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

sundance44`s

Got a bad deal over cci caps the other day too .. and got to looking good at them and some of the cci caps look like they wern`t under the machine that drops the charge all the way .. checked a few more cans and they all have a few caps in them that look that way ...the wife has had to drop her hammer twice to pop some of hers on her front stuffer .... there has to be some quaility control problems at cci . we switched back to remington caps this weekend and neither of us had a cap failure .... when ya load those cci caps in a snail type capper check `em out ..some need be culled .( going to write cci a letter ) switched to remington caps a few years ago because of this same problem . going to stay with remington caps now if i have to get them delivered by the little brown truck !
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

litl rooster

Good show DD................  I tried a stage last month 2 handed I loved it but honestly need to refine it with some practice.

Have either of you tried the Dynamite Nobel (?spelling) caps on yer revolvers?
Mathew 5.9

Dick Dastardly

Hey Rooster,

Wud them be the RWS ones?  If so, I've not tried 'em, but I've heard lots of good stuff about them from pards at the shoot last weekend.  I'll have to poke around and see if I kin find some.  I hate to pay the hazmat fee to order 'em.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

sundance44`s

I haven`t tried those ..in fact i haven`t seen any around here . are they new .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

litl rooster

Our local Toy store carry's them, along with Goex... They seem hotter, and as long as they stay put on a nipple they will go off.>>>Rooster<<<< needs to order new nipples for his C&B's
Mathew 5.9

Arcey

Strange.  I ain't got a doubt whut y'all say is straight up.  But iz long as I got the right size I ain't never had a problem with CCI caps.

Did have a problem with CCI small pistol primers a very long time ago 'n quit usin' 'em.  Other reasons cropped up 'n I been usin' 'em for the past year or so.  No complaints.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Dick Dastardly

I run CCI primers in all my main match bp ammo and have never had a misfire.  I'll send CCI a letter and detail my problem.  There should be a batch number or sum such on the tin.  Mayhaps I did something unknowing like that caused the problem.  Meanwhile, Remington caps work great.

I'm of the opinion that no company is going to make stuff that won't work.  They won't be around for long.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Adirondack Jack

Only thing that junmps out as a possibility is the hammer springs on yer rugers are whackin' a little on the light side and the CCI's maybe want a little more whoopass?  Other possibility is bein' it was the last stage, some fuglies built up and the caps weren't seating solidly?
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Dick Dastardly

Thanks AJ,

Since I'd already shot Nine stages without cleaning, there's a possability that some soot built up around the hammer and hammer slot in the frame.  When I re-capped I could have loosened up some of the crud.  I do know that the Remington caps fired off the chambers easily.

A light hammer strike could be a problem even with stock springs like mine.  The hammer dragging thru crud could slow it down enough to reduce the impact enough that the caps would fail to ignite.  I did try the CCI caps by cocking and dropping the hammer again and they didn't go off.  Also, when I went to remove them, they were really stuck on tight.  It took my Leatherman pliars to pull 'em off.

DD-DLoS

P.S.  Glad to see the board back up.  If the varment is cought that did the violence here, I'll supply a short rope. .
Gunfighter Ordinar

w44wcf

Howdy DD,

Congratulations on some mighty fine shootin'!   I'd say that your performance made you Gunfighter Extraordinar(!) .....a legend in your own time.  It's how you play the game that counts.

w44wcf

ps: Did those bullets made from the .45-70 WInchester mold arrive ok?
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Dick Dastardly

Yes!  Those bullets for the 45-70 did arrive in great shape.  I'm hoarding them till I can get some new once fired brass to load 'em in.  They have great potential.  I'm thinkn' that they might not be too long for a new LEE Six cavity mold.  Us pards that shoot a lot like to shoot, not cast.

Thanks, expect some DD-45-70-390 RNFP bullets in return.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

w44wcf

DD,

Glad to hear that you rec'd. them ok. 

No need to send me any bullets in return...... I was really interested in making some bullets from that historic
Winchester mold with the generous lube grooves and send some to you for evaluation as well as trying them
out for myself.

Thamk you for the offer though.

w44wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member

Dick Dastardly

You don't understand 44wcf.  I'm here in the midwest and I've just had a neat obligation laid on me.  I have to respond in kind of forever carry a burden of guilt.  It's that German midwest lutheran equity thing and it won't rest till satisfied.  If I wait too long I'll even have to send some Christian tomatoes and zucchini along.  Much later than that, it'll be fruit cake. . .

Expect bullets.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

w44wcf

DD,

I know what you mean. I feel indebted myself when some one sends me something and I feel I need to respond in kind.

I am a Lutheran and christian myself and my dad was of german/dutch descent and was born and raised in Wisconsin,  so I feel we have a bit of kinsmanship  between us.

Now let's see, if'n I had my  choice.........I could use one of those .45-250 big lube groove bullet molds...... ;)

Happy Trails,
w44wcf
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member

Dick Dastardly

Ho w44wcf,

You may choose, and I'll make it so.  I'll send some of the PRS design.  Ol Pigenroost did a great job of designing that boolit.  I've been getting great results at plainsman distance from my 45-70 with 'em and they don't tear my shoulder up.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Noz

Dick. I asked a while back if your bullets performed well out of the Remingtons. I think you said you were going to try them. How did they work?

Cohagen

I was there, just a stage ahead of Dick.  DD shot the gunfighter scenario great with cap and ball.  I'm proud just to the rascal.  Takes gits to do that in the Sate Match.

Cohagen

Dick Dastardly

Howdy NozzleRag,

Haven't gotten my hands on no Remingtons to try 'em in.  If ya care to send me yer snail mail address, I'll send ya some to try.  But only if you'll report back.

My email address is rrhody@spwl.net.

Hey Cohagen,

Thanks for the kind words.  Did ya notice the sooty grin on my ugly puss.  I had so much fun that I didn't even realize I'd won the Third place GF award.  Silas went and picked up the award for me when I was packin' up our big wall tent.  I've brushed my teeth since, but the grin is still there.  BP Frontiersman is like that.

I  may never win the chance to buy a belt buckle, but I'll out grin the best. . .  ;D ;D ;D

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Noz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com