Beans, do you know where the term "Old Corps" comes from?

Started by Forty Rod, August 23, 2006, 01:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forty Rod

At Tun Tavern back in 1775, a group of fellas got together to form a Marine Corps.  They were standing out front waiting for someone to show up so they could try to recruit him when a young man rode up.

"Young man, would you like to be a Marine?"

"I dunno.  What's a Marine?"

"An American Marine will be a member of the most elite fighting organization on the planet; tougher, meaner, more respected and feared, and better than any other, anywhere."

"Sounds good to me."

They sign him up, and in a fit of pure elation, walk him into the tavern, right up to the bar, and buy him a huge mug of the best ale.

Back out front they encounter another young man.

"Young man, would you like to be a Marine?"

"I dunno. What's a Marine?"
"An American Marine will be a memebr of the most elite fighting organization on the planet; tougher, meaner, more respected and feared, and better than ay other, anywhere."

"Sounds good to me."

They sign him up, and being really wound up, march him into the tavern. right up to the bar, and buy him a  huge mug of ale and a big ham sandwich.

As they go back outside, the first Marine looks over at the newcomer and asks, "Where'd you get the ale and the sandwich?"

"They bought 'em for me for joining the Marines."

The first guy looked totally disgusted and was heard to mutter, "By God, it wasn't like that in The Old Corps."

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Ornery Orr

Semper Fi!  Back in the "OLD CORPS"  ;) ('87-'91) the Drill Instructors could still give you a whack.  I learned not to cant my weapon while performing right shoulder arms courtesy of an M16 forearm racked alongside the right side of my head.   :D
I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned alot from both of their styles.

Forty Rod

When I was in the Army (before the Corps) they had a similar saying: "Back in the brown shoe Army"
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Trinity

Quote from: Forty Rod on August 23, 2006, 03:45:12 PM
When I was in the Army (before the Corps) they had a similar saying: "Back in the brown shoe Army"

You mean in the days before the Corps had been invented? ;D  ;)
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Forty Rod

The Corps is older than the Army, but I ain't.

I was in the Army first, then the Corps, for those that don't know. 

Little bro, don't you be trying to disinformationalize these other folks.  You 'member what Ma said?

Delmonico

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Trinity

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Ornery Orr

Back in 1775 my Marine Corps came alive!   November 10th, 1775 at Tun Tavern, Philadelphia to be exact!  ;D

Whenever a buddy of mine (prior Army) starts hackin' on me and my Marine Corps I just bring up the battle of Belleau Wood back in WWI.  He don't have much to say after that. ;)

It's an honorable thing to serve in this nations military......the rest of us were in the CORPS!!!!!   OOOOOOHHHHHHRRRRRAAAA!!! ;D
I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned alot from both of their styles.

Dai.S.Loe

Not being of your nation I have not had the pleasure of the afore mentioned military organisation

Suffice it to say I owed my allegiance to "the regiment" and my squadron in particular.

Dai
The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

Ornery Orr

Quote from: Dai.S.Loe on August 23, 2006, 09:31:15 PM
Not being of your nation I have not had the pleasure of the afore mentioned military organisation

Suffice it to say I owed my allegiance to "the regiment" and my squadron in particular.

Dai

I'm sure the pride that is felt by you and I is very much the same.

Trinity

I served in my younger years.  I worked at a Pizzaria. ::)

Delmonico

Did ya get a Purple Heart when ya got that anchovy bone in yer eye. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Ornery Orr

Quote from: Trinity on August 24, 2006, 07:48:13 PM

Were you doing that back in '88?  When I was in Camp LeJeune (Nofe Car'liner) ;) at Combat Engineer School at Court House Bay (we referred to it as "Outhouse Bay")  we ate a lot of Pizzas.  We were ready to fight for our country but we would have went to war at the drop of a hat for the pizza delivery guy.  ;D  He knew we would tip him really good, so he'd stop and pick us up some beer to go with our pizza.  That guy was awesome! ;)

Delmonico

Trinity would have ate the pizza and srank the beer afore he got there. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Ozark Tracker

Quote from: Trinity on August 24, 2006, 07:48:13 PM

what rank did you attain in the pizza corps
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Arcey

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Delmonico

He was given a dishonorble discharge for puttin' potted meat and Velveeta Cheese on a pizza. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

blue drifter

Forty-Rod,  That was good. I really liked that. Very Funny, Very Funny!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
semper fi, dav, blue drifter

Forty Rod

Thank you.  Thank you very much.  You've been great.  I'll be here intil the 12th, so come back again.  Don't forget to try the veal and please tip the waitresses.

Trinity

Quote from: Ornery Orr on August 25, 2006, 07:43:36 AM
Were you doing that back in '88?  When I was in Camp LeJeune (Nofe Car'liner) ;) at Combat Engineer School at Court House Bay (we referred to it as "Outhouse Bay")  we ate a lot of Pizzas.  We were ready to fight for our country but we would have went to war at the drop of a hat for the pizza delivery guy.  ;D  He knew we would tip him really good, so he'd stop and pick us up some beer to go with our pizza.  That guy was awesome! ;)

Naw, weren't me.  I had to wait a another year to drive.

Quote from: Delmonico on August 25, 2006, 09:04:04 AM
Trinity would have ate the pizza and srank the beer afore he got there. ;D

I did drive some deliveries, but I have a really bad habit of getting lost.  I decided that it would be a better idea to go back to serving inside the restaurant before someone complained. :-[

Quote from: Ozark Tracker on August 25, 2006, 09:25:36 PM
what rank did you attain in the pizza corps

I got fired for talking back to a smart-a** customer who told me that she was going to call our competitor.  As if it really mattered to me who the heck she called ::).  I had another job the next day paying more money. ;D 

Moral of the story:  If you have a complaint, don't take it to a teenager.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com