Grip Frame Confusion

Started by Rusty Brass, August 18, 2006, 09:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty Brass

I have a question regarding Ruger grip frames and I'm hoping someone here can clear this up for me.
1)  The "New" Vaqueros have the smaller grip. The slimmer pre '62 "XR3".
2)  The Ruger 50th Anniversary New Model Blackhawks (both in .44 and .357) also have the "XR3" grip.

If I'm correct on 1 and 2 above then what grip frames are on the "latest" "New Model Blackhawks" and the "New Model Blackhawks" with the interchangeable cylinders?  Are they also the "XR3"?  ???
Thanks for any info,
Rusty Brass

Silver Creek Slim

You are correct on 1 and 2. As far as I know, the New Model Blackhawks other than the "Flattops" (your #2 above) have the post '62 grip frame. The Single-sixes,also, have the same post '62 grip frame.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Rusty Brass

Silver Creek Slim,
Thanks for the clarification and the quick response!
Rusty

fourfingersofdeath

The square trigger guard Dragoon type are the biggest grip Ruger made aren't they? Did they make a round trigger guard in the bigger grips? Mick.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Mustang Gregg

Yup, the Super Blackhawk grip frames are the biggest. 
But the Bisley gripframe's are large (longer for the lttle finger), too.
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

fourfingersofdeath

Don't talk to me about those dreaded Bisleys, The hammer is in exactly the same position (check it and see, it doesn't look like it unitl you get them side bee side, but with the higher grip frame, they are a nightmare for guys with big hands. Hot loads always draw blood with me, I have a crazy quilt of small scars on the outer web of my right hand. The wide squared off grip frame also crunches up the thumb joint under recoil. I have never looked forward to a gun as much, while I was waiting for the license to go through and unfortunately I have never been so disappointed. After seeing it in operation at the range, nobody at the club wanted a bar of it, even though it would have been alright with their daintier hands. Mick

Here is the beast in operation,

All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com