Reasons why a Walker aint exactly a 'SASS handgun'

Started by J.J. Ferrett, August 14, 2006, 01:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJ Hardtack

I shot "Frontiersman" in a match this summer with another possee member who shot a pair of Walkers. Only time I've ever felt undergunned shooting my .44 Remingtons with 32 grs FFg .....

He shot 'Duellist' style and had spare cylinders as well, to cut down on the loading chores. Didn't use over ball lube either. That one surprised me. His beautiful custom-made rig was more 'Steam Punk' than Cowboy, with leather suspenders to hold up the weight.

Game as he was, he said - "Never again!', and showed us his stainless Ruger 'Old Armys' with Tiffany grips he intends to shoot instead.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Slowhand Bob

I just sent the funds off for a Third Model Dragoon to pair with my Walker.  Now to decide which one will ride the cross-draw side.  Early bets are on putting the Walker over there!  I will use the Walker in my old long holster and make a new short Josie style holster for the Dragoon, when it gets here.  My Waker holster can be seen towards the middle of the page here.  http://home.comcast.net/~gakracker/site/?/page/MY_PERSONAL_LEATHER_/&PHPSESSID=f4737f754b0d492132a6f8fb8b121de6

Karl

We had a young college fellow start shooting with my old posse', Duane.  He took clean last (like a lot of first time shooters) with borrowed guns but had fun.  Since he had a grandcestor who was a Texas Ranger he decided that if he was going to be the slowest shooter he could still be the coolest.  Deer Creek cut him a real good deal on a pair of bone handled Walkers with gold Texas stars.  He also got the special flask and tool then sewed a gunbelt with holsters, tool, and flask holder for himself out of reddish latigo.  He had to add latigo suspenders to hold them up.   ;)

Not too many shoots later his shooting began to improve and he decided to go with more mainstream guns.  He sold the whole rig for a heart breakingly low price to an obnoxious tourist from Florida. 

I tried his Walkers and they were surprisingly comfortable to aim and shoot for their size. 

His looked very similar to this one but had a gold outlined and circled star in front of the cylinders. 
-Karl  SASS #1772 "Max Degen"

fourfingersofdeath

I was always under the impression that Capt Walker wanted a pistol that could disable or kill a horse, because it was a  bigger target and once afoot the nasty Mex Bandito was instantly out of the fight and could be tracked down and rounded up later.

Reminds me of something my recently departed Father used to say. When someone was a bit lazy, he would say, "He thinks Manual Labour is a Mexican Bandit!" haha!
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Cemetery

Quote from: J.J. Ferrett on August 14, 2006, 01:52:22 PM
Just got myself a Uberti Walker... WOW.. this thing should belong on the front of a Tank!
Anyhow, just wasted a few cylinders worth of powder shooting 8" high at 10'... KEWL... and got to thinking why this weapon aint really the general SASS hangun.

1-  Heavy.... fully loaded weighs in at just under 5lb, heavy to carry and shoot.
2-  Holsters.... I am gonna have to create a new holster, I dont think anything I currently have will take the Walker
3-  Power....  Takes 60gr FFFg or 55 FFg, not exactly a gamer load. Reducing down to 45 FFg tames the beast, but, still not gamer.
4-  Size.... See points 1 and 2. Grips are NICE, sight distances nice. Swinging beast between targets, not nice.
5-  Velocity.... All loads that I have currently tried (all over 40g FFFg or FFg) mark at >900ft/s. see also 3

Then
1-  Fun Factor.... loaded to 35g FFg this should be a nice rolling boom. Scare RO's a couple of bays down.

as long as it remains within SASS power factors, these are all good reasons the Walker IS a SASS gun if you ask me, but then again, shootin' anything under 40grains of real black ain't worth getting outta bed if you ask me.......
God forgives, I don't........

ndnchf

To lighten your load a little you could make a pocket Walker like I did  ;D

"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com