Gun Cart Questions?

Started by Birdgun Quail, October 03, 2004, 08:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdgun Quail

I haven't got my gun cart yet and have a few questions.

1. How did you acquire your gun cart?

2. What minimum features should a gun cart have?

3. What are the best "nice to have" features on a gun cart?

4. Wheels -- recommendations?
God bless,
Birdgun Quail

Wymore Wrangler

First get one without pneumatic wheels (bicycle type tires) so you can use it at NCOWS events if you have the opportunity.  Large wheels are easier to push over rough ground.   Guncarts aren't cheap so you need to figure out how your going to transport it, if your going to haul it around in the back of a pickup then you don't need a take down model, but if your going to haul it in a small trunk, then pick one that breaks down easily.....  A good size box is a plus, and how many guns do you plan to haul in it, are you going to share the cart with your wife or a buddy.  I have a small cart but am thinking about upgrading, one of the ones that I like is the one sold on Evil Roys website..... ;D
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Jax Orebetter

Well Pard, I'm on my second thinking about my third. ;D

1. How did you acquire your gun cart?-  Well, the first one a friend of mine and I built. It was one of those taboo "horizontal" carts. Funny thing was, no one ever complained about it. ;) But, MAN was it heavy!!  After we got it together (it was an enclosed box)  we quit for the night. All we had left to do was put in the racks for the guns and put on the wheels. THe next day I get there and he is smiling like a Cheshire cat. "Look what I did!" He had lined the while inside with tongue and groove cedar flooring. It looked great, but the cart now weighed about 60lbs without anything in it.

THe second one, a Pard I shoot with made me for $125. It's just a basic vertical cart and it is a lot lighter.

2. What minimum features should a gun cart have?- I think it should be able to hold at least 4 guns, have a box to store your ammo and misc. other stuff that doubles as a seat, and is fairly light weight.

3. What are the best "nice to have" features on a gun cart?- Cup holder, umbrella for shade and rain protection, being able to break it down to fit into smaller vehicles.

4. Wheels -- recommendations?- The wagon wheel type with wooden spokes look nice, but are kind of pricey and don't do well on rocky or uneven ground. The easiest, as far as mobility, are the pneumatic tires like they use on dollies.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions, but that's what I came up with.
Time to fold,
Jax Orebetter
~WARTHOG~

Cactus Cris

I have been making carts for 12 yrs. & this is what I learned over the yrs.:

1.  Miin features are- have a box that is removable & big enough to sit on, easy to dis-assemble, wheels that are 12" min., vert long gun rack- min of 4 long gun w/2 sxs places,  have hooks somewhere to hang brass bag etc., have a place for umbrella.
2.  Make the upright and rack out of solid wood.
3.  Put a finish on that is "outdoors proof."

Can send some pics of the ones that I have done to your email add if you want.
Darksider- Gpa of 5- Rabid  C&Br,   DGB, Scorrs, ACSA, RSCAS,TONTO RIMM,  SASS #2790, 31 & counting Clean match's

Marshal Will Wingam

The pards here have summed it up fairly well. Here's a pic of mine. The long gun rack is removable to fit in a small space if needed, but so far, I haven't had to do that. The only thing I will change on the next version is the wheels, they're pneumatic. Cushions small gravel, but still  not a large enough diameter to go over rough ground. For NCOWS it wouldn't be aceptable. I have the undercarriage from a wagon my grandfather made in the late 1800's for his kids. The wheels are steel, about 16-18" diameter (larger ones on the rear). One day I'll make a cart based on it.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Shoshone Slim

Marshal Wil, that's a purty cart.

I've built three and each one has been an improvement.  The one I built this summer is the one that I've liked the most.  It had to have room for 6 guns because both kids shoot cowboy now and needed alot of room.  I used Rolan Kraps' "war wagon" plans.  Materials came in under $200.00 including the flatbed from Northern tool.  The son and I built it in one day.

Boston John Doucette

Good looking carts, boys...
But in Wyoming they'd be like Corvettes: you could only use them in the Spring, summer and Fall.
Gotta have at least 12" wheels for the winter shooting so's you can drag it through the snow.

I've been trying to figger out a way to put skids on mine!  ;)

BJD
I love my dogs, I'm real attached to my guns, and I'm right partial to my wife.

Uncle Eph

I got a couple of my Mom's electric wheelchairs sitting out in the tractor barn and I have been thinkin'.............
WARTHOG, GAF #364, SASS #53354, BOLD #549, SBSS #1483, STORM #5, NRA, CRSO, ASSRA, SDOP, SUV, GOFWG #19, 7-7-79 SNL WINNER

Wymore Wrangler

So that's what the big flask is for.... Snow season ::)
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Uncle Eph

great lookin' avitar there BJD.
WARTHOG, GAF #364, SASS #53354, BOLD #549, SBSS #1483, STORM #5, NRA, CRSO, ASSRA, SDOP, SUV, GOFWG #19, 7-7-79 SNL WINNER

Marshal Will Wingam

That's a good sized cart, Shoshone Slim. My current cart isn't wide enough for more than 5 long guns. With two of us using it, that doesn't leave much room for spares. The next one will be wide enough for an extra couple long guns. I'll put taller wheels outboard of the sides, too.

Chilly Waters

I bought one at a shoot.  It's made outta pine with a removable large box on the bottom and a smaller removable box (for loading and such on the top).  4 gun with 2 SXS shotgun.  Solid 14" tires.  I added my saddlebags to the bottom box for brass and whatever and, so far, it suits me fine.  Breaks down for when I don't have my truck.  I made a couple mods to it (support for the lid on the upper box and some metal straps to support the shelf it sits on)  and had to finish it myself (used a couple coats of tung oil).

I thought it was worth the $300 I spent.  Fella that made it has a business in Idaho called Cowboy Cupboards but doesn't seem to have a website.

Shoshone Slim

All that I need to do now is fit the generator and the hot tub. ;D

Birdgun Quail

Quote from: Cactus Cris on October 03, 2004, 11:31:33 AM
I have been making carts for 12 yrs. & this is what I learned over the yrs.:

1.  Miin features are- have a box that is removable & big enough to sit on, easy to dis-assemble, wheels that are 12" min., vert long gun rack- min of 4 long gun w/2 sxs places,  have hooks somewhere to hang brass bag etc., have a place for umbrella.
2.  Make the upright and rack out of solid wood.
3.  Put a finish on that is "outdoors proof."

Can send some pics of the ones that I have done to your email add if you want.

Thanks y'all for the answers.  Cactus Cris, please do email me the pics.

I'm considering building my own cart and I found the plans to this cart at:
http://www.gateslinger.com/guncart/guncart.htm
Opinions please both pro and con...
God bless,
Birdgun Quail

Shoshone Slim

Marshal Will Wingam

A good design. The wheels are large enough, too.

Kid Cavalier

For your entertainment...

This cart is shared by four pards (myself on the left and Modern Day Cowboy on the right.(The builders)  Irish Lullaby and Garrett Jax not pictured )

The long-gun rack is mounted on a hand built lazy susan (rated 1000 lbs) and holds 12 guns!

The large box is divided into four compartments for our ammo, etc...

The box at the back is a handmade cooler.  With blue ice it keeps our water and lunch cold all day. (In Southern California yet!)

Going to add a motor one of these days.  It's a heavy %$#@* !

KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

Micheal Fortune

As long as you carry a tire pump, the air tires are ok,  Two days ago I had a match, been leaving the cart at the range cause it's to big and heavy to haul back and forth, got there and the tire was flat, off the rim. Didn't push at all and drug real bad.   :'(
Saloon Keeper, Gambler, Shootist
Sun River Rangers Shooting Society / SASS 60159 / R.O.-1 / SBSS 1685 / G.O.F.W.G. 89 / RATS 58 / KGC 4 /

Modoc

Birdgun-

The cart looks good, but I like a little more ground clearance ;D,  it just means moving the wheels lower on the box and adding some form of leg to the front.  I'm also on my second cart,  made it from scrap out of the bone yard and welded it together for a folding base and back.  Used an antique beer crate for a box and made the gun rack out of scraps.  For wheels, I scrounged the an old wheelchair that they were throwing out at the hospital.  Cheap material and only took time.....  Only problem is that it is truly a work in progress with mods happening every couple months.  The wheel chair wheels have worked well being 24" in dia. and cutting through loose material  on the ground.

Modoc
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Sisquoc

I have the Simple Cart, in its most basic form (pine, with the 16" [I think] wheels).  Plenty of room for my two long guns and umbrella, ammuntion for 10 stages (not at all uncommon with The Cowboys).  A hook for my cooler (softside).  I hang my brass bag on the bottom section of the umbrella pole.  Spacious box with plenty of room to sit.  The only thing it really lacks is a cup holder.    ;D  ;D
If you're going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use two feet.  -- Keith Richards
The Cowboys Charter Member
SBSS 1383; OGB 8-22-04
WartHog    RO1  RO2  SASS 39167  RATS 127

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com