I've gotta ask

Started by litl rooster, August 05, 2006, 05:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

litl rooster

I will be recieving my '87 shotgun this week.  I want to shoot BP from it, (will probably practice off some of the excess AA's here) I load and shoot Magtec brass shell's for the SxS's. Should I try and modify these or do you think mebbe I should invest in a loader, and shoot plastic from it?  Thanks

lr
Mathew 5.9

Modoc

Gallito,

I'd try and run some through it first.  I just picked mine up yesterday and have only been able to run dummy's through it, but it feeds the black plastic snap caps with the sharp edge.  I'd be curious as to how well the mag-tech brass shells work.  It would make my IDing my real shells easier ;).

Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Marshal harpoluke

;D

Yeh might invest in a roll-crimper.  They don't need too much.
SASS 60019L
NRA Life
CASS
Muckraker
Straight Shooter
Army Veteran
GOFWG#269
LASOOS#35s,
Lookout fur da sheep, packs a 10ga.,
Ya loot, Ah Shoot,
Lord of the Dark Soot,
Prayer Posse,
GoofBall #12

Steel Horse Bailey

I thought about a roll crimper for my Magtechs, but I talked with a feller who shoots BP from his Magtechs and he said the BP won't blow out the crimp and the crimp plays havoc with his patterns.  

It's not a Model 87, but mine feed fine thru my "room broom" 870 with no crimp.

I did make up some 12 ga dummies and used an antique roll-crimp tool to put a nice rounded crimp on them, but it wouldn't take long to ruin the old crimper.  One of the newer types made of steel might work fine, if you REALLY feel the need for a crimp.  A very light crimp might not disrupt the patterns too much and might still work for CAS purposes.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

litl rooster

Steele Horse thanks you need to quit hidin' on us

MilkMoose ;D
Mathew 5.9

Dick Dastardly

I was pokin' around on the wire and found an outfit that has roll crimpers that fit yer electric drill motor for around Ten bux.  That's a fair price.  The trick with all brass shells would to put only a slight crimp on the shells.  I'm thinkn' that mountin' the roll crimp tool in a good drill press would give the precision needed and make the job repeatable and easy.

I shoot plastic cuz I shoot 10ga, 12ga, 16ga and 20ga depending on my mood for SASS matches.  Too much foolin' around with that many different size all brass shells for the time I've got to load 'em.  BTW, the lil 20ga shoots like a death ray with my bp fodder.  Never leaves a knockdown.  On the other hand, neither does the 10ga.  Only thing is, sometimes after the 10ga knocks 'em down they won't stand back no more.  S.S. Slim Knows this cuz he saw it from his own gun.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Marshal harpoluke

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on August 06, 2006, 09:10:12 AM
I was pokin' around on the wire and found an outfit that has roll crimpers that fit yer electric drill motor for around Ten bux.  That's a fair price.  The trick with all brass shells would to put only a slight crimp on the shells.  I'm thinkn' that mountin' the roll crimp tool in a good drill press would give the precision needed and make the job repeatable and easy.

I shoot plastic cuz I shoot 10ga, 12ga, 16ga and 20ga depending on my mood for SASS matches.  Too much foolin' around with that many different size all brass shells for the time I've got to load 'em.  BTW, the lil 20ga shoots like a death ray with my bp fodder.  Never leaves a knockdown.  On the other hand, neither does the 10ga.  Only thing is, sometimes after the 10ga knocks 'em down they won't stand back no more.  S.S. Slim Knows this cuz he saw it from his own gun.

DD-DLoS

;D

Marshal Who Shoots 10ga. :D
SASS 60019L
NRA Life
CASS
Muckraker
Straight Shooter
Army Veteran
GOFWG#269
LASOOS#35s,
Lookout fur da sheep, packs a 10ga.,
Ya loot, Ah Shoot,
Lord of the Dark Soot,
Prayer Posse,
GoofBall #12

Paladin UK

Fer what is worth.............. ::)

I tried roll crimpin my 16g magtechs `n found that it made NO difference ta the pattern out ta `bout 20yds (The furthest we shoot at on our range). So went back ta jest usin  a top card glued into place with clear silicone

Paladin (What lurvs his sweet little 16s ;D) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Goatlips

Hay Rooster, I hope Paladin's right and not Steel Horses' advisor as I just today made up some 50 annealed Magtechs fulla BP, I built the column right up to the top with extry wads, then used a copper plumbing reducer to 'roll' crimp them with the help of a leather hammer.  Worked real good and looks like the overshot card won't need glue to stay in place.  Hope the crimp opens up, don't know why it wouldn't with 3 1/2 drams of 2F.  I'll let ya know if they give me any trouble.

Goatlips

Goatlips

Maybe I kin post a photo....

Goatlips

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Goatlips on August 06, 2006, 11:59:50 PM
Hay Rooster, I hope Paladin's right and not Steel Horses' advisor as I just today made up some 50 annealed Magtechs fulla BP, I built the column right up to the top with extry wads, then used a copper plumbing reducer to 'roll' crimp them with the help of a leather hammer.  Worked real good and looks like the overshot card won't need glue to stay in place.  Hope the crimp opens up, don't know why it wouldn't with 3 1/2 drams of 2F.  I'll let ya know if they give me any trouble.

Goatlips
That's neat. I never thought of that. I got plenty of reducing couplings around.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Goatlips

Slim, I never thought of it either, another pard mentioned using a reducing coupling to 'roll' crimp Magtechs and I wanted to credit him, but danged if I kin find his post on any of the boards I frequent.  I'm just passing it on, and it WORKS. 

Goatlips

litl rooster

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on August 07, 2006, 10:13:08 AM
That's neat. I never thought of that. I got plenty of reducing couplings around.

Slim

Slim I just tried it on one of yer 10 gauge casings............too small............ ;D    Thanks Goatlips it goes with using the plummer's fitting brush to clean them with
Mathew 5.9

Silver Creek Slim

My 10 gauge casing?  ??? Del, Litl Rooster is stealing my 10 ga hulls!  >:(

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Sunwapta Haze

Quote from: litl rooster on August 05, 2006, 05:58:07 PM
I load and shoot Magtec brass shell's for the SxS's. Should I try and modify these or do you think mebbe I should invest in a loader, and shoot plastic from it?

On the assumption that the "new" '87s work the same as the originals (mine was manufactured in 1888), you should have no problems feeding the MagTech brass hulls without any modifications.  Mine feeds the straight edged hulls just fine.  I did put a slight roll on some hulls as an experiment and found that they did not feed any better and only make the reloading process more difficult.  The rolled end seems to be a permanent feature of these hulls as they do not straighten out upon firing and then it is more difficult to insert the cards and wads.  FWIW I would not recommend rolling the end. 

If you encounter problems feeding the hulls into the chamber (the lifter may not raise the hull high enough to present it properly to the chamber) try adding a short block in the magazine tube to increase the spring tension.  I used an empty hull with the rim at rear of the tube which worked wonders for my '87.  Your milage may vary.
Vaya con Dios, Amigos

Sunwapta Haze
Darkside Acolyte

litl rooster

Sunwapta and all thanks.  Think I will try them the way I load them first. Then gp from there.

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on August 08, 2006, 09:45:29 AM
My 10 gauge casing?  ??? Del, Litl Rooster is stealing my 10 ga hulls!  >:(

Slim

Slim you left 4 of them, on the bench down in the "Cave" back in March.....I use one to hold Q tips and I was throwing the other at the cats when they'd get in there and reorganize my mess.
Mathew 5.9

sundance44`s

Very nice crimping job ! bet the run through a pump gun real smooth. i only shoot a sxs 12 and am prone to use my brass B/P loads for dove and quail hunting so i like the white elmers glue around the top card to keep out the morning rain drizzles .. so far never a damp shells ..haven`t dropped one in a puddle yet though . I put a little ring of the wife`s clear fingernail polish around the primmer .shot some last year that had been on the shelf for 2 years or more and never a problem .I do like them brass shells .. of course i like anything built to last .. ;D
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

litl rooster

Quote from: sundance44`s on August 10, 2006, 01:51:41 PM
Very nice crimping job ! bet the run through a pump gun real smooth. i only shoot a sxs 12 and am prone to use my brass B/P loads for dove and quail hunting so i like the white elmers glue around the top card to keep out the morning rain drizzles .. so far never a damp shells ..haven`t dropped one in a puddle yet though . I put a little ring of the wife`s clear fingernail polish around the primmer .shot some last year that had been on the shelf for 2 years or more and never a problem .I do like them brass shells .. of course i like anything built to last .. ;D

I'll load 2 on my pick up misses, I have accidently thrown the live round in my washwater tub. Found them when I got home several hours later. Glue still holding and they fired off just like any others. I don't use anything on primers

Thanks again to all of you. I was hoping to get out to shoot this evening, mebbe tomorrow. I have annealed some brass and am going to roll a few shells and experiment with them
Mathew 5.9

Delmonico

As for the primers don't worry, I've washed and dried 22 Hornet rounds and they fired fine.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Grapeshot

Say Goatlips, did you aneal those 12 Gauge hulls befor smacking them with that leather mallet and pipe reducer?
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com