A Look at Spencer Rounds

Started by Two Flints, August 02, 2006, 08:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Flints

Hi SSS,

Just thought you'd like to see a comparison of Spencer rounds with two other types.

From the left is a 50-70, 56-46 Spencer. 56-50 Spencer, 56-52 Spencer, 56-56 Spencer, 58 Musket.

The original site this came from is >> http://members.shaw.ca/cartridge-corner/idpics2.htm
and there are other interesting cartridge comparisons.  Check it out, if you have the time.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Major 2

If I understand then (from another thread ) and these photos..
the 56-50 Spencer, 56-52 Spencer, 56-56 Spencer are different but interchangeable ?

ext. lube VS int. lube  heeled VS non heeled ?

I been wondering if the available 56/50 re manufactured round would chamber in my original 56-52..
or should I slug it anyway ?
and if it does work , what about the steel follower ?

I have single loaded special 50 Cal. bell brass made round but not through the tube magazine.
Also, I have loaded custom Blanks ( still have a few ) that worked in the tube and chambered ( from the Armor on "The Blue & the Gray")

I'm quite happy with my 45 Sch., I could be ecstatic if I could easly use my original too ( I don't reload )
when planets align...do the deal !

Two Flints

Hi Major231,

I'm with you on two points.  I don't reload yet, and I shoot the .45 Schofield Spencer. 

I'll let the reloading experts respond to your questions regarding the 56-50 rounds.  I am now considering the purchase of a 56-50 Spencer, either a reproduction model or an original.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Major 2

Yep, I'm pleased with mine. A Taylor's Armi Sport...

The best part was it was whale of a good trade to get it...the good Lord was lookin after me that day  :)

BTW
I sent the Scout prints did you like them ?

Two Flints

Major231,

Wow, I never received the scout prints.  Up until this moment I just thought you had forgot about sending them, and decided not to bother you about it.  But, I never got them :o :o

Could we try again?  I'll compensate you as you suggest.  Let me know and I will provide my mailing address or were they sent by Email?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

Major 2

Hmm... wonder were they went ?
I get copies again I think the prints ar still in the car

PM your address again

Sloan Dodgy

Two Flints, great picture and a good resource for everybody curious about Spencer cartridges.  I does look to me, although with admittedly aging eyesight, that there are two out of order in the picture.  From left to right isn't it:

.50-70, .56-.46, .56-.50, .56-.56, .56-.52, .58 Musket ?

And a brief historical sketch: The .56-50 (US Gov't design) and .56-.52 (Spencer design) were intended for the same chamber and the 1865 and later rifles and carbines.  The .56-.56 was the 1860 model Civil War round and used a fatter, straighter chamber and case.  Marcott's book mentions that there was a lot of variation in bore and groove diameters among all of 'em, not surprising in that day and age.

The current incarnation of the .56-.50 centerfire round has slightly different case dimensions than the historic .56-.50 rimfire.

Again, thanks for the pic!

Bead Swinger

Thanks for the photos.
As mentioned, the original 56-52 and 56-50 were interchangeable, and used in the original 1865 carbines and rifles.
The new Starline 56-50 brass should fit and fire in a good-condition original 1865 carbine or rifle, but it may (probably?) extract poorly  :(.  Of course, you'll need a center-fire conversion block. The rim on the new brass is a few thousanths shy; 'don't know why they did it that way - but it tends to jam in originals, at least the 56-56's.  (I reload shoot a 56-56 rifle)

Lots of people fired 56-50 rounds in 56-56's. If you had a 'fat' bore, they'd probably not hit accurately.  According to the archeologists, Custer had more than a few Spencer-armed Sioux blasting away at him with 56-50, 56-52 and 56-56 ammo, some of which was obviously shot from 56-56 carbines. 'Can't blame them. If I were a Sioux, I'd take the Spencer over a Henry  :)

I read a autobiography of a 2nd Cavalry soldier who claimed to much prefer the Spencer over the Trapdoor - 'said you could trust the Spencer extractor not to sheer the case, and when that happened (all too often) with the trapdoor, all you could do was pull out tools.  This 2nd Cav fellow was part of the relief column that picked up Benteen's men, and were the first white people to see the mess left of the rest of Custer's command.

Bead Swinger
Erie, PA

1860 Rifle SN 23954

Major 2

See there is the rub my Spencer carbine
pre-date 1865.... It was issued to the 5 th. NY Cavalry... with its low 21XXX S#
I'm under the impression it's circa 1862-3.
I always understood it is a 56-52 and the 56-56 was externally lubed heeled bullet.

This one has had the S&S upper block over 20 years, it also has an unmodifird single blade exrtactor.
It was converted to center-fire for blanks for a film.
On the special Bell Brass I've used for live fire
(loaded single shot) I had minor snags in ejection.
But being as how I loaded one shot at a time without use of the magazine it was not an issue.
Sadly, I now know I missed so much fun that way (now having the New one that allows repeater action) I wanted to try the old girl with the new 56-50 rounds.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com