Sweet loads for .38 spl.

Started by litl rooster, July 29, 2006, 02:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

litl rooster

Since the bride has decided she would give the Darkside ago, I am heading into different waters. I have ordered some "Snakebites".  I have a couple thousand cleaned Winchester brass, WSP primers and ffg & fffg.  I was thinking about 1.3 cc of the fffg  what do you fellas think? This will be used in a Marlin 94 and her Rooooogers.  Looking forward to your insights..........lr
Mathew 5.9

Dick Dastardly

Ho Small Rooster, Sir.

Yer rite on the money there.  That should give you a compressed load of around 19.5 to 20 grains of powder.  If it were me, I'd use the FFFg cuz the caliber is small enuf that I'm thinkn' that FFg might burn less efficently and more dirty.

This is the same load I use in 38 Special cases to run thru my RVs and Browning 92.  It works great in them and that's the gun set I loan, along with ammo, to new shooters.  I've had several convert instantly to the Darkside.  A common comment was "now I know why you were havin' so much fun".

That Snakebite boolit is designed expressly to run 38 Special brass thru a 357 Magnum rifle.  It does that very well.  The revolvers don't much give a hoot and they benefit from the Big Lube™ grove capacity.

I wish ya good luck with yer bride.  The 38 is a very gentle way to introduce her to our sport.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Goatlips

'Zactly like DD said but add another F.....   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Goatlips

litl rooster

Quote from: Goatlips on July 29, 2006, 11:20:43 PM
'Zactly like DD said but add another F.....   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Goatlips

ffffg? What is the advantage?
Mathew 5.9

hellgate

He recommended 3Fg, not 4Fg. The ffffg is for priming flintlocks but would likely work fine if you did happen to use it. I use FFFg (3F) in the smaller cartridges like 38/357. Be sure YOU clean her guns for her.The gals seem more offended by the smell. In my family the gun cleaning was a great wife & kids repellant as i savored the "afterglow" from a shoot.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

litl rooster

Quote from: hellgate on July 30, 2006, 09:46:06 AM
He recommended 3Fg, not 4Fg. The ffffg is for priming flintlocks but would likely work fine if you did happen to use it. I use FFFg (3F) in the smaller cartridges like 38/357. Be sure YOU clean her guns for her.The gals seem more offended by the smell. In my family the gun cleaning was a great wife & kids repellant as i savored the "afterglow" from a shoot.

I have very little ffffg like you said for frizzem powder................Was trying to clarify................Yes I agreeon the afterglow ;D ;D ;D  Will say the Mrs. likes the smell of Hoppe's though.....  Clean up is why I am pushing for the Darkside It was taking too much time up cleaning her guns
Mathew 5.9

Dick Dastardly

Ho Lil Male Chicken,

Don't go startin' no newby on 4f charged 38 Special ammo.  I've shot it and it's safe in my guns, but it does bark rite sharp and raise the barrel high.  No need to intimidate.  When and if the new shooter desires more horsepower, go ahead and try some.  But, do it private like and let 'em make up their mind away from critics.

If a new shooter can handle more power, and if they want more BOOM, move 'em up to a larger caliber.  Soon enuf they will find a comfort level where their persona fits the recoil.  Make it a learnin' process rather than an endurance of pain.  We're in this sport for pleasure, not pain.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Sunwapta Haze

litl Rooster -

Your right on the money for the 38 load.  1.3 cc of fffg topped off with a Snakebite is just the ticket. 

Our local club hosted a Cowboy shoot for a stag the other day with a bunch of inexperienced shooters.  We ran a safety and familiarization session followed by a 3 stage shoot.  Black Hills smokeless ammo in .357 and Winchester 12 ga was used for all shooters.  When it was all said and done I hauled out my BP loads (38 spl with Snakebites and 12 ga Winchester AA loads) and let 'em have a go with it.  There was some shocked shooters after they fired the One True Powder.  It was like ... WOW I wasn't expecting THAT.  There is a nice satisfying recoil push with the load and certainly more recoil than they had experienced with the commercial ammo. 

I don't think I converted any of that bunch to the Darkside (yet) but I am willing to bet that we have a couple of new pards for future CAS shoots.
Vaya con Dios, Amigos

Sunwapta Haze
Darkside Acolyte

litl rooster

Update:  My wife was unable to go to match today. I did take along the Marlin and some of these loads. I ended up using it in the back half of the match, and was quite impressed....How does Paladin put it?...................with me ownself...It had a nice bark, goood smoke colum, just not Warthog enufff for my personal taste.  Over haul I think she will be pleased.   I am going to experiment with some ffffg and try it in the Rooogers for myself  jist fer kicks and giggles

agin thanks all for your input

lr<<<<<<<<<<<who doesn't mind a little recoil
Mathew 5.9

Dick Dastardly

The Roogers will likely handle 'em with ease, but don't go puttin' 'em Warthog 38s with the 4F powder in no open tops or the like.  They'll likely come from together.

They'll crack rite smart in the Roogers.  You might exceed the SASS velocity limit tho..  I'd graph 'em to know fer sure.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

litl rooster

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on August 06, 2006, 09:31:29 PM
The Roogers will likely handle 'em with ease, but don't go puttin' 'em Warthog 38s with the 4F powder in no open tops or the like.  They'll likely come from together.

They'll crack rite smart in the Roogers.  You might exceed the SASS velocity limit tho..  I'd graph 'em to know fer sure.

DD-DLoS

Thanks fer the advice.....my open tops is still front stuffers. 
Mathew 5.9

44caliberkid

I only use a 1.0 cc dipper for 38 with the Snakebite bullet.  Shoots like a laser beam, better than I can hold or see.  'Bout as close to a mousephart load as I get, don't use it often though.

w44wcf

Historicaly speaking, the original b.p. factory load for the .38 Special used 21 1/2 gr. of b.p. under a 158 gr.  bullet.

I have tested that charge weight using Swiss 2F and Swiss 3F powder.  In a 24" rifle, the 158 gr. bullets left the barrel at and average of 1,121 f.p.s. with 2F, and 1,212 f.p.s. with 3F.   Those same loads in a 7 1/2" pistol barrel produced 880 and 967 f.p.s. respectively.

Definitely have some pizzaz!

w44wcf

aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com