Gun Butter for BP shooters - reviews

Started by sundance44`s, February 27, 2006, 12:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundance44`s

The word butter sounds right for black powder ... but the word oil scares me , most oils and bp make a sticky mess ... hope to see some good results ..you may have something for the bench .

http://www.gunbutter.com

Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Dick Dastardly

Thanks Marshall,

I got my test batch of Gun Butter in the mail yesterday.  The package had been thru the postal grinder.  At least twice the usual punishment.  Marshall had packaged it so well that it took the worse treatment short of getting lost and still came our perfect.  Thanks to the padded wrap inside the shrink envelope inside the bubble pack inside the kraft envelope, the bottle with the nice long dispenser tip was in new condition.

That nice long tip will make precise application of Gun Butter very easy and accurate.  The red plastic tip slides on nice and tight and will stay put.  This packaging will do well in a mobile situation without any special handling.

Ok, that's it for packaging, shipping and appearance.  This afternoon one of my pair of ROAs will get a complete cleaning down to dry metal and then re-lubed with Gun Butter.  I'll report as I proceed.

Looks like a good product that the Marshall put a lot of thought into.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

litl rooster

Recieved in thursdays mail, my carrier knows I am well armed and my magazines are not read for 2 days before delievered.>>>The package arrived intacked

Have to ditto's DD comments on the being mobile..........The needle tip will give better service in application...Am going to shoot the guns I have appplied it to tomorrow.

litl rooster
Mathew 5.9

Wolfcamp Hill

ok, fellers, what happened with this newfangled butter for guns? 

inquiring minds want to know....

wolfcamp

Dick Dastardly

I cleaned one of my RVs down to clean dry metal and re-lubed it with the Gun Butter.  Love the applicator needle.  Sure puts it where ya want it.  Been too cold/snowy to do much shoon'.  I'm waitin' for the promised early spring thaw and some main matches to shoot.  Soon as that happens, I'll give ya a complete report.  I'll be comparing it to the gun in the other holster that's lubed with Ballistol.

Yer Pard,

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

litl rooster

I will be shooting the entire Cavy of CAS guns over the weekend.. They have all been lubed with Gun Butter. I will be able to give a better opinion on it when I reclean these weapons. Like DD said the applicator tip makes it a breeze gettn' them hard to reach places. There is no weight info on the bottle. Maybe 2 oz's. However I have lubed around 14 guns with it and have only used 1/2 of the bottle. I can tell you it seems to hold up well in the Springfield 1911. After shooting 2 magazines thru it, there was still plenty of lube visible.

lr
Mathew 5.9

litl rooster

This should probably be retitled better late than never.........Sorry for not reporting back, with company here at the funny farm, it was hard to get to this. I tryed to get Steel Horse and Slim to do it but they refused.... :o

I have now finished cleaning all but 2 pistols after a 2 day match, none being cleaned between days. Some of these my wife shot some I shot. Some heathen powder some Soot burners. I shoot double barrels and they have limited moving pieces, but the rich red oil was still visible on both guns. With no gumming or burnt effects. My wifes 97 stayed nice and lubed with over 50 rounds shot thru it. When cleaned I could  wipe the red Gun Butter out and it was soft, not sticky. My C&B's had plenty of evidence of the lupe left also. Even though one of them malfuntioned on the stage. Not because of lube. Since it was not used after the 2nd shot I loaded it 2 more times yesterday and fired it, before cleaning. The base pin was still oily along with internal working parts. All 4 of the Rooooogers stayed lubed. Two of which I have inspected but haven't cleaned yet. Now the Marlin rifle we share, I can't honestly say. Since it had 125 plus rounds fired thru it. I sprayed it down with Fast break at the range. But will test it again, just for my own curiosity. If you are going to ask if I would buy Gun Butter, it would be a price depending thing.

will report back on Rifle soon, will load it with BP and try.

lr
Mathew 5.9

Steel Horse Bailey

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

litl rooster

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on March 25, 2006, 07:20:08 AM
Hey, Litl Rooster!

Milkmoose!

;D ;D ;D ;)

;D ;D ;D Can I find that in the Dairy section?  Or on line?
Mathew 5.9

sundance44`s

I think i seen a money back guarantee on it on line someswheres .. if`in ya don`t like it send back the unused portion and he`ll be glad to send back the unused portion of yer moneys .  ;D ;D

Tensleep

OK, I have now used Gun Butter on all my firearms for the last three matches
when I have shot BP (actually APP and Triple 7.)

I lubed all the moving surfaces on my 73 and SxS with Gun Butter after cleaning with Gunscrubber and brake cleaner.
On the Rugers, I hit the cylinder face, ratchet and base pin with Gun Butter.

The long tip is wonderful for hitting where you want.

After each day's shooting, quick cleaned and relubed, there was still plenty of red stuff in place.

After each match a good cleaning still found Gun Butter in place.

I have decided that I will be using Gun Butter as the lube for all my firearms from now on.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

sundance44`s

Did anyone do any testing with goex or swiss in their pistols ? or rifles ?  i didn`t figure it would get sticky with some of the subs .. although pyrodex does act like real black when it comes to getting sticky .

Dick Dastardly

Ho the fire,

I've got a lot of ammo loaded with Dragon/LIDU powder.  That fine Chink powder burns dirty, about like a wet yule log.  I had absolutelyy no trouble with my guns.  One was preped with Gun Butter and the other with Ballistol.  My impression is that the gun, my left hand one, feels smoother than the other one.

All that said, I'll run the test thru the season.  They're a matched pair of RVs and with one runnin' with Gun Butter and the other with Ballistol, I ought to learn which is best.

I sure do appreciate the very economical packaging that uses a very fine applicator to get the lube exactly where it's needed and not sprayed all over everything.

First impression, The Marshall has a very fine product.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

litl rooster

Quote from: sundance44`s on April 16, 2006, 05:40:33 PM
Did anyone do any testing with goex or swiss in their pistols ? or rifles ?  i didn`t figure it would get sticky with some of the subs .. although pyrodex does act like real black when it comes to getting sticky .

I am shooting Goex and some Smoki less.......However will be shooting some APP loads this weekend, I will up date then
Mathew 5.9

Virgil Ray Hality

As an interested party, I am just book markin this page.  I look forward to the analysis.  :)

Marshal Halloway

Thanks for the feedback about Gun Butter and blackpowder guns.

It is very interesting to learn that the Gun Butter do in fact work good for this kind of use.

I had a talk with the manufacturers the other day about the feedback on this thread.

His first reaction was that some of you may use too much Gun Butter.

Use it sparingly, one bottle should last for a year of constant weekend shooting per gun. Long time storage will not diminish quality or function. However, the need for a complete cleaning of black powder guns compared to smokeless is of course obvious. The most important thing for me to know is if this oil does not cause any malfunction during an entire weekend shoot. 

The bragging text from the manufacturer claims that:

It's enhanced lubricity allows superior performance in all weather extremes;

Heat - will not burn up in a jet engine (Gun Butter was developed by engineers at the Boeing factory).

Cold – unabated in freezing conditions

Wet - stays intact during pouring rain

Dry – repels dust and airborne sand

Consistency in all weather extremes.

All this is proven for smokeless (many of the top IPSC shooters are using it now). I have used it for over 2 years myself.

I appreciate the feedback here, so I can be confident that this product can be good for BP shooting also and you can be the best advisors either way.

Thanks.

Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

litl rooster

Quote from: Marshal Halloway on April 17, 2006, 06:59:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback about Gun Butter and blackpowder guns.

It is very interesting to learn that the Gun Butter do in fact work good for this kind of use.

I had a talk with the manufacturers the other day about the feedback on this thread.

His first reaction was that some of you may use too much Gun Butter.

Use it sparingly, one bottle should last for a year of constant weekend shooting per gun. Long time storage will not diminish quality or function. However, the need for a complete cleaning of black powder guns compared to smokeless is of course obvious. The most important thing for me to know is if this oil does not cause any malfunction during an entire weekend shoot. 

He might be right, I have backed off amount used......still have plenty in the bottle too. It's in every gun "Montana" and I own now. Cowboy or not
Mathew 5.9

Virgil Ray Hality

So for you fella that have been using it, I need to know... how well does it block out the soot from being blasted into:
  --  the "thin" space between the frame and foreface of the cylinder bushing?? 
  --  the long "thin" spaces between the base pin and cylinder bushing?? 

Dick Dastardly

Howdy VRH,

It don't block nothin'.  But, it does coat very well.  Not much gets thru the coating.  I think it's got teflon in it.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Virgil Ray Hality

Thanks Dick.  That was a key answer.  Now I have to mull it over a bit before I bite.  If not much soot gets through the coating, it may be a boon to Schofield shooters who have been unlucky with BP and other subs. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com