Leather as wad material?

Started by J.J. Ferrett, July 24, 2006, 08:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.J. Ferrett

Just wondering, has anyone any experience with using leather as a wad? I was looking at my pile of scraps and then found myself busy punching loads of 7/16" holes out. The 'wads' fit nicely in 45 brass and in 44 cap and ball chambers.
I was thinking of soaking some in lube to see how they act.
"There are two types of people in this world:
Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Arcey

One way ta find out...............

Seems it could get a l'il 'spensive affer while though...........
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

J.J. Ferrett

I am using scraps that I would otherwise discard. Its only my time and the lube.

Arcey

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Judge Lead

I have had a number of wads puched out at 7/8" (just about 12g size) and soaked them in olive oil. These were then used in s/gun and did not seem to cause any damage. I see no reason not to as they are really no different to any other, maybe a little harder than felt.

If it is scrap, and is of a size that makes it useless for anything else, go for it. It would only be thrown out otherwise, so why waste it ?.

Regards
When we were younger, the days seemed to drag. As we get older, we wish they would.

Tommy tornado

Sounds like you are a child of the recycle and reuse era.  Go for it because I can do the same thing, so I would like to know how it turns out. ;D
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Delmonico

Don't forget, the recycle and reuse wasn't an invention of the 60's generation, although they like to claim it. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Tommy tornado

I was born in the late 70's and did most of my schooling in the 80's.  I remember sitting through many recycle and reuse lectures, videos, film reels, etc.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

J.J. Ferrett

Recycle and reuse has been around about as long as man, in different guises.
I hate wasting material, so, after cutting holsters, etc, I save all my scraps. Heck, I even have a bag or two of 'string leather' and 'mini patches' from finishing the edges and punching holes.
Tonight I am lubing the leather, and, if i can ever find where I put the big box'o'primers, getting some loads made up for rifle and pistol for testing tomorrow. Either way, I will be shooting some 'c&b' loads tomorrow with the leather wads. Will keep updating.

J.J. Ferrett

I am not really that impressed with the first round of 'leather wads'.
Dipping the leather into the hot wax hardened it far too much for use as a wad. What lube did soak up then hardened and wasnt really useful for 'lube'ing'.
I am gonna give this another try or two and see if anything improves.

Note.... I recovered a couple of 'used' wads after they had gone down range. A lube soaked wad 7/16 diam, 9oz leather, went through a 1/8" ply sheet.
These wouldnt be the best to use whilst engaging one of those nasty 'paper targets' as you will prob get more holes in the target than times you pulled the trigger. It was really a little disconcerting to see 16 holes when i new I shot 10 times, and it was a new target face.
If used against steel, i could see these little buggers bouncing off in all directions.

Dick Dastardly

Ho the fire,

Try soakin' 'em leather patches in shoe oil.  That stuff is made to soften leather.  Ballistol may also work.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

J.J. Ferrett

Doh.... Great idea there..... It its probably the LUBE thats the problem, not the leather. The lube that i have mixed is high in Beeswax (over 50%), and was 'designed' to be used a cookies.

Steel Horse Bailey

It should work fine.  Leather's been used occasionally for decades.  (Maybe centuries!)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com