Having really good luck with Lee conicals and 1860 Army (Pietta)

Started by Dakota Widowmaker, July 16, 2006, 10:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakota Widowmaker

Point of aim with a 5 1/2" barrel and 25gr of GOEX FFFg.

good recoil and shoots clean. (I pan lubed a bunch of bullets to see how they would work... just fine!!!)

I plan on testing them in my Walker here shortly. The extra 70gr of lead should make for a fun day. ;)

I am casting with two sets of 2 cavity molds. One gets filled while the other is cooling.

100 bullets takes very litte time when I get into a rhythm.

hellgate

Dakota,
Don't go hog wild on heavy loads for that Walker. I crushed two wedges in ONE single match using my brace of Walkers. My load at the time was 50grs FFFg+lube wad+.454 ball+grease overball+Rem#10 cap. Two wedges later I have adopted the following load: 44grs FFg+lube wad+.454 ball+over ball grease+Rem#10 cap. Note the FFg as opposed to FFFg. A softer recoil (as if there ever was any). The finer 3F powder has a sharper recoil, higher pressure and is more likely to drop the lever. If I was you I'd use 2Fg with the conicals and I wouldn't exceed 40 grs powder or you could have the wedge cutout stretch and then you are really screwed for a repair. I was getting lots of flame & smoke but after the match I realized it was all due to a widening cylinder gap and I actually was losing power. So, take it from someone who's "been there, done that" and resist the temptation to fully stoke that hogleg or it could become an interesting $250 conversation piece.

I know of one that sent the barrel down range when the owner stuffed it full of 777. I won't go near that stuff in a Colt design C&B.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Mason Stillwell

I cautioned a shooter about using 777 in a brass frame 51 .  He would not listen to me. I'll be  he is now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The gun was recoiling almost to the unsafe zone .

Mason
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Dakota Widowmaker

Oh, I am certainly sensitive to wedges on my Walkers.

Shooting a cylinder full once in a while is about all I care to shoot. That thing is so big and heavy, I can't really justify using it during a match.

As far as my Army's, they appear to handle it just fine. I might drop down to 21gr just for the conicals and leave it at 25 for the round balls.

Arcey

>>I know of one that sent the barrel down range when the owner stuffed it full of 777. I won't go near that stuff in a Colt design C&B.<<

Mornin' Hellgate, mi amigos.

Bet that just made his day.  Do ya know whut failed?  The wedge or the arbor?

I gottah cheap clone.  Kindah like ta know whut ta look at ta see if I'm ever approachin' that there condition.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Steel Horse Bailey

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Dick Dastardly

Ho Dakota,

Whut's the chamber diameter of yer C&B gun?  I'm wonderin' if a DD/ROA conical would fit?

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

hellgate

Arcey,
Twas the arbor what failed at the wedge cutout. Snapped in two and sent the barrel & wedge down range. Old Scout was thinking of how to make a pepperbox outa it for the poor feller that owned it. I think that's the story.  Been a while.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

River City John

Same incident happened to one of my friends, only his was a '51 with a 7 1/2" barrel. Arbor broke, barrel and wedge sailed downrange.. The loads were not excessive, so he chalked it up to flawed metalurgy of the arbor.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Arcey

Thankee, boys.  I'll start payin' more attention ta the arbor.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

litl rooster

Quote from: Arcey on July 18, 2006, 02:01:27 PM
Thankee, boys.  I'll start payin' more attention ta the arbor.

Been following this also...............will keep an eye on my Navies
Mathew 5.9

Tommy tornado

Been shooting a brace of '51 Navies with a cylinder full of powder and a ball.  They are steel framed but I think I am going to back off that load a bit.  It is fun to feel the buck of a full cylinder, which by the way is about 25 grains of 3fg.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com