1873 long range what caliber

Started by Jefro, July 11, 2006, 03:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefro

I'm ready to add to my Winchester colection with an original 73. I want to shoot pistol caliber long range with it but I have no idea what caliber to choose 38/55, 44/40 or what ? Don't know if this is a good rifle for this category so any advise will be greatly appreciated. I have an 1894 in 25/35 I bought for hunting so I realy want a 73                              While I've got your attention I would like to take this oppertunity to thank each and everyone of you on this wire for the unbelevable amount of information and brotherhood I have recieved here.When I first heard about CAS a couple of years ago I came here to find what gear to buy, where to shoot and what to wear and the Spirit of the Game.So thank you, thank you very much.   ``                                                                                                                         
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Dai.S.Loe

As far as I know the 73 Winchester was never chambered for 38-55 as this is a rifle calibre.

From all I have learnt one has to go to the 76 Winchester before you get rifle calibers in a toggle link action.

Personally I would go for a 44-40. I use a 92 clone in .44 mag and have no difficulty hitting the target at 200 yards.

Then I also use a hell of a lot of BP under a 205 gn soft lead bullet.

Hope this is of a little help

Dai
The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

Henry Logan

Jefro it's like Dai. S. Loe says. The 73 wasn't made in 38/55. Did make it in 38-40 though. I would look for one in
44-40. Personally think it's a better caliber. Shoot it my own self. ;D
You don't measure wealth by how much money you have.

member Verdigris Valley Renegades
SASS # 3709
RATS #206

Jefro

44/40 it is. Thank you, thank you very much .  Jefro

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I don't know if you get what you pay for these days with an original '73. The prices I've seen are awfully hilgh, most starting around $2000, and most of them in that price range are pretty beat up. I have an original Winchester Model 1892, built in 1894, chambered for 44-40. It's bore is a little bit pitted, but the rifling is still strong and it is a tackdriver with Smokeless ammo. I don't like putting Black Powder through it because the fouling tends to cling to the pits. But I paid far less than $1000 for it. I don't think I could touch that rifle for that kind of money today. Because of the tremendous popularity of CAS today, 73 prices have gone through the roof. If you go for an original '73, be sure you are getting a shooter and not a wall hanger. I'm not saying there aren't still good ones out there, but you want to go over it carefully, and make sure the rifling is still good. I guarantee any original '73 you find will have some amount of pitting in the bore, simply because of how long they have been in service. If you find one with a bright shiny bore, either it has been sleeved, or grab it and run.

The Model 1873 was originally chambered in 44-40. The cartridge was invented for the 1873. Later it was chambered in 38-40, 32-20, and 22RF. I think that's it. 38-55 is not a 'pistol length' cartridge, it is a full length rifle cartridge, probably not too different in length than your 25-35, or a 30-30. The '73 action cannot physically cycle a cartridge that long.

If you can't find an original '73 to suit you, you might consider buying one of the Italian made replicas. You are guaranteed to get a shiny new bore if you do, a definite plus if you ever decide to shoot Black Powder through it. They are all made by Uberti. In addition to 44-40 and 38-40, they are available today in 45 Colt, and a few other calibers that rifles were never chambered for in the 19th Century.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Jefro

Thanks Driftwood, I've already accepted the fact I'll have to pay $3000 to $5000 to get a good shooter but if I don't do it now I problably never will.I just wanted to make sure to get the right caliber.Found a couple nice ones in 32-20 but from what you and a few others that know a whole lot more than I do I'm going wait for a 44-40.Me and the little lady both shoot Marlins for main match but later I plan to get a Cimarron 73 short rifle; And yes it will be smokless.                  Thanks for the advice.  Jefro

Silver_Rings

I haven't shot a 32-20 my self, but I remember reading a story SHOOT magazine about long range pistol cal lever rifle match.  Seemed the top shooters were shooting 32-20.  They felt the 32-20 shot flater and made it easier to hit the distant targets.

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Jefro

Thanks Silver Rings.Thats a good point, something I need to consider.I choose the 25-35 in my 94 becuse of the flater shot. Think I better go watch a couple shoots before I decide.     Thank you,  Jefro

Modoc

Silver Rings,  You are correct about the 32-20 being  a flatter shooter.  That particular '73 is a sweet little rifle, Brandon Iron shoots it well, and it will take the Rams down easily at 100M.  I shoot the same match with my orriginal '92 in 25-20 (the orriginal varmit cartridge ;D).  Jefro, as you keep looking, be aware that the 32-20MAY be a bit less expensive because it does not seem to be as popular a caliber. The 32-20 will do admirably for Pistol Cart. Long Range and is very pleasant to shoot.

Just my two bits.

Modoc
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Jefro

Thanks Modoc,  32-20 it shall be.  I found a really nice one with mint bore, good wood and some good color on the hammer and lever. As soon as I get to shoot it I'll let you know how it does  And you were right about finding one in very good condition compared to the other calibers for the same amount of money.  I appreciate all the replies, ya'll were very helpfull.        Thank You, Thank You Very Much,   Jefro

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com