Marlin 1894 Cowboy or tuned up Rossi 92 (45lc)

Started by Dakota Widowmaker, July 05, 2006, 11:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakota Widowmaker

Which is a better "investment"?

I am more inclined to get the Marlin, made in the USA plus it has the option for a scope mount. (leave me alone on this one... )

The model 92 is a slightly stronger action, from what I have been told, but, its feeding mechanism is what is supposed to make it better for CAS.

The marlin, however, has a side eject and I am right handed. This is appealing. I have 2 resources within an hour's drive who can fix the dreaded "Marlin Jam". Also, the crossbolt safety can be easily disabled or reinstalled if I sell the thing.

$590 either way. (slicked up 92 or bone stock Marlin)

Its gonna be in 45 long colt. Yes, I will shoot BP in it.

Camille Eonich

Go with the Marlin.  I have one of each and the Marlin has never given me any problems while the '92 has left me high and dry several times.
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Dakota Dan from OZ

I would pick Marlin every time,have 5 in my safe.Well made firearms. My 38/357 cowboy has shot 1,000 of rounds all in 38 specials and had no trouble,it gets strip and cleaned and put back together a couple of times a year.They are easy to tune.Great guns ;D ;D ;D ;D

DD
My Pa once said "Son never take a knife to Gun Fight"  He told the truth.
SASS# 28875
SASS State Governor
SASA  Aust #2715
SASA State Discipline Chairman
RATS 239
PWDFR 146
GSC 001

L.G.

I just picked up a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Special in .45 to be a back-up to my Thunderbolt.  Side by side, it's a little shorter and a little lighter than the wife EMF Hartford 1892, both of which have the 29" barrels.  Years ago, I had an 1894C in .44 Mag. that I really liked, it was my deer rifle for many years with a Ruger Redhawk on my hip.  I was told that the "Marlin Jam" was a .38, .357 issue, and not a .45 issue.  Already wrapped the lever, guess I'll have to burn a few rounds through it and see how it stacks up against the Thunderbolt and the '92.
SASS #48097
NRA #2008175
Gateway Shootist Society
Member of The Torque and Recoil Club
WartHog
B.O.S.S. #19
RATS #130
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/Slingshot383

Jefro

sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Blackpowder Burn

Marlin, especially if you're going to shoot black powder.  They're much easier to disassemble and clean.  I have one in 45LC that has never given me any problems of any sort.  Also very accurate.

I'm also converting to  black powder and will be shooting mine with Holy Black.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com