Adventures in melting lead alloy or "Don't Try This At Home"

Started by Silver Creek Slim, July 05, 2006, 10:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Creek Slim

Yesterday, I was out in the backyard with the cookfire going making a roast in the dutch oven. The roast was on and going good. I had to stick around to babysit the fire to make sure it didn't become a forest fire. I decided, since I had the fire going, I would melt the lead alloy outta the 3' long by 4" pipe. I took it over to the fire on a handtruck 'cuz I couldn't lift it. I struggled to git it situated in the fire right. I put the closed end on a couple logs and the open end on an 8" cement block so the it angled down toward the open end. I put my smelting pot under the open end. I got the fire going good with pine branches. We have pine shelter belts 'round the yard. The majority of the heat was in the center of the pipe. I tried getting more fire at the open end but it was hard to do 'cuz the cement block was there. The fire started dying down so I went over to the shelter belt to get more pine branches. As I was collecting them, I heard a noice from the fire that sounded like a tennis ball gun. So, I went back to the fire. There sat a chuck of 4" diameter by 7" long lead alloy 3 feet from the end of the pipe.  :o The smelting pot was covered with lead. Lead was splattered all over the side of the firepit. The pipe had move about 6" backwards. After the chuck of lead colded, I weighed it. It is 28 lbs. My guardian angel was working overtime.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

sundance44`s

Wow glad ya didn`t end up in the ER for the Holliday !
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Dick Dastardly

Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on July 05, 2006, 12:33:07 PM
Ho Slim,

Make smaller boolits next time. . . .

DD-DLoS
I was trying, but it didn't work out that way.  ::)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Dick Dastardly

Hey Slim,

If ya kin get 'em chunks of pb small enuf to drop into my smelter kettle, we kin render it down into ingots.  PD and RRR want to get together for a casting party anyway.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

hellgate

This is the kind of story we need not tell our wives (lest they disallow such activities).
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Goatlips

Quote from: hellgate on July 05, 2006, 09:58:26 PM
This is the kind of story we need not tell our wives (lest they disallow such activities).

Heck, just tell her that's how you planned to do it.  ;D

Goatlips

Silver Creek Slim

Here's a picture of the "cannon" and projectile.

Slim

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on July 05, 2006, 06:21:49 PM
Hey Slim,

If ya kin get 'em chunks of pb small enuf to drop into my smelter kettle, we kin render it down into ingots.  PD and RRR want to get together for a casting party anyway.

DD-DLoS
DD,
I plan on smelting and casting at my house on Saturday 'cuz I'z almost outta of PRS's.

Slim

Ozark Tracker

which one of them civil war battles was you reenacting
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Silver Creek Slim

Delmonico

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Silver Creek Slim

Steel Horse Bailey

Does this go in the "How to" or "How NOT to" section? ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Pukin Dog

Slim,
Lets try to get a castin' party this month sometime at DD's.  He knows what he's doin' (apparently more than you  ;D) and besides, we can all chew the fat and drink a few good brews while castin' up some fine Big Lube (TM) boolits
"Puking Dog" Danlbach

Soot Lord Junior Grade
Semi-Warthog

Dick Dastardly

If we plan ahead, Thursday afternoons are good.  I went to Beloit to do some range work yesterday, but it would have been a great casting day. . .

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Silver Creek Slim

Ozark Tracker

That's one of them stories that starts,  I hope this never happens to you, but one time------
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Delmonico

Quote from: Pukin Dog on July 06, 2006, 10:54:47 PM
Slim,
Lets try to get a castin' party this month sometime at DD's.  He knows what he's doin' (apparently more than you  ;D) and besides, we can all chew the fat and drink a few good brews while castin' up some fine Big Lube (TM) boolits

I hope this is figuretivly and not literal, No Food or Drinks in the Casting Area wash your hands before touching and food or yes, any body opening.  One can get a bit of lead into the body by peeing or pickin' yer nose.

Sorry to be such a nag, but I am an ex-painter from the era of lead based paint, what goes for safety there, counts here. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Silver Creek Slim

I turned my "cannon" into what's below on Saturday.

Slim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com