Old West Words and Phrases

Started by Capt. Hamp Cox, September 28, 2004, 07:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ T Chambers

Gaboon = Sand or sawdust filled box in a saloon for ya'll ta spit in.  Kind' like a litter box for chew'n cowboys.   ;) ;D
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Capt. Hamp Cox

Bullseye!!! ;)

Saloon owners liked 'em 'cause they were much cheaper than brass spittoons or cuspidors, and the hep liked 'em 'cause they could be throwed away when full, 'stead of havin' ta empty an' clean the rascals. :P

Capt. Hamp Cox

Movin' these two up, since they are from a previous page, and still unanswered:

Horseback Billiards

Sink Tallow Whiskey

The next one is all new.

cowboy change

Four-Eyed Buck

Cowboy change=  Something we all fear????? ::) :oSeriously, these are above me at the moment, I'm just along for the ride......Buck 8) :o ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Joyce (AnnieLee)

Cowboy change: Could that be pocket lint, an indicator of how poor cowboys were?

???

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: AnnieLee on August 04, 2005, 02:18:25 PM
Cowboy change: Could that be pocket lint, an indicator of how poor cowboys were?

???

AnnieLee

Hadn't thought of that, but should have expected some lint pickin' from the fairer side of the aisle :D.  What we're lookin' for is something a bit more substntial than lint, and something with some monetary value that most every cowboy carried on his person and used occasionally.

Russ T Chambers

Cowboy change  =  using cartridges as change for smaller dominations of coins.  Much under a 50-cent piece wasn't readily available.  Not sure what the rate of exchange was, but I would say it took about six .38's to make up a good .45!

Horseback Billiards   =  Would have said polo or Argentine croquet, but could it have anything to do with which pocket your livelihood ended up in while riding on a particularly rough horse?   ::) ::) :o :o ::) ::)
Russ T. Chambers
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Russ T Chambers on August 04, 2005, 02:39:13 PM
Cowboy change  =  using cartridges as change for smaller dominations of coins.  Much under a 50-cent piece wasn't readily available.  Not sure what the rate of exchange was, but I would say it took about six .38's to make up a good .45!

Horseback Billiards   =  Would have said polo or Argentine croquet, but could it have anything to do with which pocket your livelihood ended up in while riding on a particularly rough horse?   ::) ::) :o :o ::) ::)

You got the Cowboy change right , Russ T.  Don't know what value was placed on each, but I think most of the cowboys carried them in a back pocket, and that's where the term "Get the lead outta yore (rear end)" originated ;).

Gonna go ahead and give ya'll Horsebck Billiards.  It was actually played on horseback in a saloon that had a billiard table, like most other such activities, for money.  Each shot had to be made from the saddle, and the table was at normal height, so it had to be pretty hard to line up a shot, and each player had to be pretty limber.   I also imagine a steady horse would be an asset.  Building had to have a pretty substantial floor, also.  I seem to vaguely member a western movie in which something similar transpired, and possibly a Remington or Russell painting, but not for sure.

Joyce (AnnieLee)

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on August 04, 2005, 02:28:27 PM

???

AnnieLee

Hadn't thought of that, but should have expected some lint pickin' from the fairer side of the aisle :D.  What we're lookin' for is something a bit more substntial than lint, and something with some monetary value that most every cowboy carried on his person and used occasionally.

Ammunition?

<Takikng one more stab at it>

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: AnnieLee on August 04, 2005, 03:11:01 PM

???

AnnieLee

Ammunition?

AnnieLee

Sure, enough, Annie, but Russ T beat you to it. :'(

Joyce (AnnieLee)

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on August 04, 2005, 03:35:34 PM
Quote from: AnnieLee on August 04, 2005, 03:11:01 PM

???

AnnieLee

Ammunition?

AnnieLee

Sure, enough, Annie, but Russ T beat you to it. :'(

Dagnabbit, those replies weren't there when I posted!

< Sniffles >

:'(

Finally got another one right and got beat by a four year old!

;)

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Griff

Horseback Billiards dagnabit :-[; shoulda guessed that one.  LOLAL!!! ;D ;D  The one thing I always wanted to do was to ride my CMSA horse inta the saloon where my son was bartending; but the owner of said establishment tole me that no matter that I was a deputy, he drawed the line at wearing spurs and horseback riding in his establishment!
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Patron

Four-Eyed Buck

Who would've thought that it was actually Literal! Ain't the English language wonderful?............Buck 8) ::) :o ;)

Capt. Hamp Cox

Everybody skeerd a Sink Tallow Whiskey? ???

Four-Eyed Buck

Doesn't sound very appetizing there, Cap............Buck 8) ::) :-\

Capt. Hamp Cox

Sink Tallow Whiskey - the good stuff.   Reputable saloons didn't water down their whiskey, and kept some tallow available to prove it.  Drop a small ball of tallow in watered down whiskey, and it'll float.  Dropped in "good stuff",  it'll sink.

Capt. Hamp Cox

If a hog farm was where they raised hogs, what was a hog ranch?

Russ T Chambers

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on August 07, 2005, 09:28:45 AM

'Twas a drinkin' establishment located near a military post, after the sale of booze was banned on post.
Russ T. Chambers
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Russ T Chambers on August 07, 2005, 01:50:19 PM
Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on August 07, 2005, 09:28:45 AM

'Twas a drinkin' establishment located near a military post, after the sale of booze was banned on post.

Correct, and most likely had a couple of dance partners of the more feminine persuasion ready an' willin' to stir up the sawdust with them soldier boys.

Capt. Hamp Cox

blue stocking - has nothing to do with horses

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com