Old West Words and Phrases

Started by Capt. Hamp Cox, September 28, 2004, 07:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Hamp Cox

Silver Creek Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on June 20, 2005, 01:46:40 PM
Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on June 20, 2005, 11:18:56 AM
Pullin my donkey's tail
Is that like "pulling my leg"?

Slim

Yep, it is, but don't 'spect me ta be pullin' yore donkey's tail 'bout nuthin. ::)

Four-Eyed Buck

Cap, I've heard two whoops and a holler used differently. As in " I wouldn't give ya two whoops and a holler fer that one".........Buck 8) ::) :-\ :)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Four-Eyed Buck on June 20, 2005, 04:20:55 PM
Cap, I've heard two whoops and a holler used differently. As in " I wouldn't give ya two whoops and a holler fer that one".........Buck 8) ::) :-\ :)

Reckon we got us a dual purpose sayin' here.  Need more of those, 'cause for those of us what have trouble 'memberin', the fewer we have to 'member, the better off we are ;D.

Four-Eyed Buck

litl rooster

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on June 20, 2005, 05:13:24 PM
Quote from: Four-Eyed Buck on June 20, 2005, 04:20:55 PM

Reckon we got us a dual purpose sayin' here.  Need more of those, 'cause for those of us what have trouble 'memberin', the fewer we have to 'member, the better off we are ;D.

I agree ;D
Mathew 5.9

Silver Creek Slim

What were we talkin' 'bout?  ??? ::) ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on June 21, 2005, 12:25:50 PM

Slim

Slim, you cute little feller, this here matter we been discussin' is fer growedup folks what kin 'cifer the ramblins of sum ol' pokes that been out in the sun fer too long.  Now, whutcher question agin? Caint seem ta 'member. ??? ;D  Musta not been relephant.

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on June 21, 2005, 01:06:15 PM
Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on June 21, 2005, 12:25:50 PM

Slim

Slim, you cute little feller, this here matter we been discussin' is fer growedup folks what kin 'cifer the ramblins of sum ol' pokes that been out in the sun fer too long.  Now, whutcher question agin? Caint seem ta 'member. ??? ;D  Musta not been relephant.
;D ;D ;D

Slim

litl rooster

all right pards, try this one then when you do I'll tell you the rest of the story.

YY

this would have been a writin message, warning maybe rote with a runnin iron
Mathew 5.9

Capt. Hamp Cox

Am waiting with bated breath (just hope it ain't catfish bate) ::).

Four-Eyed Buck

Cap, sodium earth-o-bait???..........Buck 8) ::) :o ;)

Capt. Hamp Cox

I'm too old to have to deal with this kind of suspense.  He better not just be making something up.  Besides, I'm outta bait.

litl rooster

It's too wise......2Y's....As all of you know(if you don't you should) On the cattle trail, there is fella employeed to prepare the next camp and the Meals, the beloved (or not so beloved) Cook or Coosie. These fellas are not known for being real pleasureable...Not likely, They're  up at 4a.m. and go to bed past dark daily. Howeveron the range, there is a rule if you pass thru a cow camp, and it's unattended you can help yourself to leftover food. So as long as you clean up your dishes and mess.
  Their was 2 cowboys who passed a cow camp one time and found the wagon unattended, so helped themselves. After cleaning up thir mess they found the coosie extra trousers,. They decided to play a joke on the cook. The first one branded the letters WE8 the 2nd one branded ME2...This ticked the cook off and he caught up with them,one at a time. He tied them up and to a tree, and proceed the payback, while they were still wearing their trousers. The first one he Branded the YY when he caught the second one he branded his own brand .... 3YY. This is according to "Hot Irons; Heraldy of the Range" 1940 as told by S. Omar Barker.
Mathew 5.9

Griff

Litl Rooster, I got the YY but don't get the 3YY in the story although I had to lol.  Been off-line for a while {dad-blamed computers anyway!} >:(
But I got a couple I don't know the answer for.  Along the lines of two saying with one meaning.  As a kid I never understood {therefore I still don't!} the difference between:

Bric-a-Brac &
Nic nacks
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Patron

litl rooster

Quote from: Griff on June 26, 2005, 04:23:16 PM
Bric-a-Brac &
Nic nacks

To quote George Carlin, they come as a set and you can't have one without the other.

I am not sure either other than he put his own brand on the 2nd man. It is supposely a true story.

Your imput has been missed Griff, I get computer problems and usually call in help. Most times it's something stupid that I caused.
Mathew 5.9

Silver Creek Slim

I don't know if this term is Old West, but it is a synonym of an Old West term.
Fop

Slim

Four-Eyed Buck

Most of this word I've seen used in context referring to a dandy or flashy dresser with not much going in the head......Buck 8) ???

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Four-Eyed Buck on June 28, 2005, 11:35:24 AM
Most of this word I've seen used in context referring to a dandy or flashy dresser with not much going in the head......Buck 8) ???
Bingo! Good job, Buck. It's another word for a Dandy.

Slim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com