Old West Words and Phrases

Started by Capt. Hamp Cox, September 28, 2004, 07:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmonico

Thats right it's a strip of tissue down the back.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on May 25, 2005, 05:42:15 PM
You should all know what two bits, four bits, six bits, etc. are.  What is a "short bit"?
Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on May 25, 2005, 05:52:32 PM
A preferred piece of buffalo meat was called "Indian Bread", and was eaten raw by both Native Americans and buffalo hunters, but didn't taste like raw meat.  It allegedly tasted much like freshly baked bread.  Where on the buffalo carcass was this desirable cut located?

Don't want these to get lost.  Still need answers for both.

Hamp

HandTub

i'll take a gander and say the tongue
  Hamp

litl rooster

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on May 25, 2005, 07:42:27 PM
Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on May 25, 2005, 05:42:15 PM
You should all know what two bits, four bits, six bits, etc. are.  What is a "short bit"?
A DIME?

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on May 25, 2005, 05:52:32 PM
A preferred piece of buffalo meat was called "Indian Bread", and was eaten raw by both Native Americans and buffalo hunters, but didn't taste like raw meat.  It allegedly tasted much like freshly baked bread.  Where on the buffalo carcass was this desirable cut located?
I believe it is the backstraps or Loins, is this also called the "sweetmeat" I also believe in the Lonesome dove Trilogoy, Deadman's walk, there  is a reference to it.

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on May 25, 2005, 05:02:07 PM
Quote from: Four-Eyed Buck on May 25, 2005, 08:35:20 AM
Hitting the bottle with a shot and leaving nothing but the bottom?.....Buck 8) ::) ??? ;)

You're only about 180 degrees out, Buck.  Here's how "bottomin' the bottle" worked.  You place an empty uncorked/uncapped whisky bottle on an approximately shoulder high flat surface about 15' (or if you're really good with a handgun or really optimistic, make it 20' ;D) from wlhere you're going to shoot.  The bottle is positioned on it's side (remember spin the bottle?) in such a manner that you will be attempting to shoot through the open end of the neck and take out the bottom of the bottle without shattering the neck and body of the bottle.   To add some contemporary guidance, make sure you are shooting into a safe backstop, and wear eye and hearing protection if you attempt this, and be sure to clean up the broken glass :o.

I'm with Buck (eyes) on that one but what the heck I'll try it this weekend

Don't want these to get lost.  Still need answers for both.

Hamp
Mathew 5.9

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Delmonico on May 25, 2005, 07:39:21 PM
Thats right it's a strip of tissue down the back.

You never cease to amaze me, Del ???.  Here's what I had:

"The meat was located under the hide and along the backbone from shoulder to the last rib.  It was made up of very thin layers of what was called 'dry fat' and very lean meat that wasn't the least bit greasy.  The meat was either eaten by itself or used as you would use bread."

litl rooster was right on with his answer to "You should all know what two bits, four bits, six bits, etc. are.  What is a "short bit"?

A DIME?

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on May 25, 2005, 05:10:19 PM
Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on May 25, 2005, 08:59:16 AM
buffalo juice - rendered buffalo suet?

Slim

Fraid not, Slim.  It is liquid found in the buffalo's paunch "cleared by the gall, that is prized for drinking, it is cool and tasteless".  Understand that Native Americans and buffalo hunters both utilized this source of liquid refreshment when other water sources were unavailable.
Now that ya said it, I remember I reference to it the the Buffalo Hunters book I read about a month back.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Silver Creek Slim

I came upon this term in a book I'm reading. Yes, I can read.  ::)
Galvanized Yankees -
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on May 26, 2005, 09:51:33 AM
Galvanized Yankees -

I know, but I ain't tellin' (yet) :P

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on May 26, 2005, 03:02:37 PM
Galvanized Yankees -

I know, but I ain't tellin' (yet) :P
Okay.  ;)

Slim

litl rooster

I came upon this term in a book I'm reading. Yes, I can read. ::)
Galvanized Yankees -

I live in civil war history country but have never heard that term other than Damn Yankee
Mathew 5.9

Capt. Hamp Cox

droop-eyed calves

(and don't forget Slim's Galvanized Yankees)

Russ T Chambers

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on May 30, 2005, 12:58:02 PM
droop-eyed calves

Calves that have had the eyelid muscles cut so they can't see to follow their mom.  Done to 'em by rustlers mainly.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Russ T Chambers on May 30, 2005, 05:07:46 PM
droop-eyed calves

Calves that have had the eyelid muscles cut so they can't see to follow their mom.  Done to 'em by rustlers mainly.

Good answer, Russ T.  We musta gone to different schools together :D.

litl rooster

Quote from: Russ T Chambers on May 30, 2005, 05:07:46 PM
droop-eyed calves

Calves that have had the eyelid muscles cut so they can’t see to follow their mom.  Done to ‘em by rustlers mainly.

This is kind a oxy moron statement, I understand now were talking calves and rustlers...Any self respectin' cowpoke knows if ya got the calf, on the end of your twine, the cow will follow. This being easier than leading the cow and have the calf follow.

So what is a lopped eared calf...This is kind of a cracker cowboy term
Mathew 5.9

Capt. Hamp Cox

horse puller

and litl rooster's "So what is a lopped eared calf...This is kind of a cracker cowboy term" is still up for grabs.

Silver Creek Slim

litl rooster

(and don't forget Slim's Galvanized Yankees)

Okay I'm a damn Yankee and had to cheat and look it up on Google...Members of the 34th Miss. Inf. that were captured at Lookout Mt. Tn.

Hauled off to prison in Il. then recruited to go west and fight the Indians.

Southern Cowboys call the exotic cattle Bramha's especially,Lop eared. Because of there long drooping ears. When you ride thru a heard with a few in the cold wet season, checking health, a inexperianced cowboy might think they are sick.
Mathew 5.9

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on May 31, 2005, 01:09:17 PM
horse puller

This one gotcha buffaloed?

Good info on the "lop eared" line.  Gotta remember that one.

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: litl rooster on June 02, 2005, 03:35:39 AM
Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on June 01, 2005, 07:24:05 PM
Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on May 31, 2005, 01:09:17 PM
horse puller

This one gotcha buffaloed?

Is this one also known as the 'Jingler"?

Don't know 'bout "Jingler", but the "Horse Puller" I'm referring to was a cowboy who traveled with livestock on a train.  Also called a "Bull Nurse".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com