Old West Words and Phrases

Started by Capt. Hamp Cox, September 28, 2004, 07:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Russ T Chambers on April 16, 2005, 08:19:09 PM
Hey Capt.

Could Morman iron refer to rawhide?   ??? ??? ???

Russ T,

Check out Reply #407 on this thread ::).

Hamp

Russ T Chambers

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on April 17, 2005, 03:34:55 AM
Quote from: Russ T Chambers on April 16, 2005, 08:19:09 PM
Hey Capt.

Could Morman iron refer to rawhide?   ??? ??? ???

Russ T,

Check out Reply #407 on this thread ::).

Hamp

Sorry, that's what I get for posting in my sleep. ::) ::) :D
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Capt. Hamp Cox

Nice to know I'm not the only one around here with that "oldtimer's" affliction. ;D

Steel Horse Bailey

Cap'n. Cox, truth be known, I'll bet MANY of us share that "disease!" ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

litl rooster

can't remember _ _ _ _

yep, got it here also
Mathew 5.9

Silver Creek Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Russ T Chambers

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on April 18, 2005, 11:09:56 AM
I got one: air-tights.

Slim

That one's easy, my Great Grandmother always refered to cans as air-tights.  :o ;D
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Russ T Chambers on April 18, 2005, 12:07:41 PM
Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on April 18, 2005, 11:09:56 AM
I got one: air-tights.

Slim

That one's easy, my Great Grandmother always refered to cans as air-tights.  :o ;D
Good job, Russ T.  ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Capt. Hamp Cox

Some of you folks east and north of my home state may not be familiar with these contraptions, but here goes anyway.

pear burner

Delmonico

A blow torch to burn the spines off the prickley-pear cactus so you can feed them to cattle. :o

Saddle Wolf.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Delmonico on April 18, 2005, 10:11:52 PM
A blow torch to burn the spines off the prickley-pear cactus so you can feed them to cattle. :o

Saddle Wolf.

Del,  you're probably the best read coosie I've run into, and your answer is correct.  I have my grandpa's old pear burner (copper tank with patent date of '98 cast in one end - right certain that weren't 1998).  Has a tire valve stem for pressurizing the tank with a tire pump, and an old plumbing type gate valve to regulate the flame.  Pretty sure it was fueled with kerosene (or "coal oil" as he called it).

Seein' as how you seem to be the resident cookin' authority, just wonderin' if you've ever prepared any "pear" for human consumption.  I've made some pretty good jelly from the red fruits that develop every summer, but nothing beyond that.  This site http://www.desertusa.com/magdec97/eating/nopales.html has some recipes that look interesting.

Don't have the foggiest notion what your Saddle Wolf is.  Better post it again so it doesn't get lost here.

Delmonico

I ain't never et no cactus but a couple a the fruits a time or two.  But would be glad to give it a try.

Guess if you want to understand cowboys and the west ya just got ta study a bit.

Try this for a day or two 

Saddle Wolf:

Can't rember exactly where I read the def, but seen it used in old timers accounts.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Four-Eyed Buck

Cap, I actually had some prickly pears growin' in a planter at a building complex I was livin' at a few years back, OUTDOORS. this is in the Buckeye state. Thought the flowers were really nice, but the 24 hours only was a bummer. Didn't get to gather pears enough to do jelly though............Buck 8) ::) :o ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Griff

Back when I was a kid, I seem to 'member some of the ol' (gad ain't that term relative now), hands referring to ol-time cowboys that they knew that didn't have regular work, but, cowboyed when, where they could, i.e. traveled from one ranch to another in search of a steady gig, as:  Saddle Wolves.  Might recollect this wrong, but... Seems there some other things they called 'em also, but ain't fit for public repeatin'! ;D
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Patron

Silver Creek Slim

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on April 20, 2005, 12:03:10 PM
Here's one: madstone

Slim

You sneaky devil - puttin' the answer in a differnt post. :-X  Interesting stuff.

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on April 20, 2005, 01:56:01 PM
Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on April 20, 2005, 12:03:10 PM
Here's one: madstone

Slim

You sneaky devil - puttin' the answer in a differnt post. :-X  Interesting stuff.
;D

Slim

Delmonico

Saddle Wolf:  Piles or Hemorhoids, was that what you were thinkin' Grif?  common with cowboys and cavalrymen. :o
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Griff

Nope, Saddle tramps was more like it.   Our coosie callled ol time saddle tramps wolves, as they'd eat anything and everything that didn't move, or moved slower than they did.  Oh well, Spanish California was a different place.  I don't know how long she'd been there, but her husband was probably in his eighties, and the 5th generation to work that same ranch. (this was in the 1960s)
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Patron

Silver Creek Slim

Two more:
canard
Methodist feet

Slim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com