Old West Words and Phrases

Started by Capt. Hamp Cox, September 28, 2004, 07:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ T Chambers

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on February 17, 2005, 11:40:51 AM
Hey, Russ T. 'bout time you fagged outta that bedroll on the prod, walked 'round that man for breakfast, unshucked yore pencil, and sent in the keerect answer.  Guess there's a little life left in ya yet. :D

Just lettin' other folks play the game ::) ;D.  I only roll out on the peck iffin' someome snuck a snake in my beadroll  ??? ::) ;D

Speakin' of shucks

How about ---- Light a shuck ----  ??? ???
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Joyce (AnnieLee)

Quote from: Wrangler Rich on February 17, 2005, 12:03:47 PM
Annie,
I'll take a shot at "Wearing your apron backwards"

My Grandma used to put her's on backwards when she was expecting company.  That way, when the company came, she would turn it around, an have a "Clean" apron.

While I can understand how that would work since I've seen young boys try to pull the trick of turning their underwear inside out and claiming it was clean, that isn't how my mother used the term. When she said it, she usually included a tsk of derision.

:D

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Capt. Hamp Cox

Don't know much 'bout aperns, but guess ifin I didn't know whether I was comin' or goin'... ???

On tother hand, got a couple a possibles on Light a shuck.  I sometimes light a shuck ifin I want ta get from here ta there rite quick.  Ifin its dark, I might even light a corn shuck (literally) ta help me see where I'm shuckin' to.

Russ T Chambers

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on February 18, 2005, 03:42:44 PM
Don't know much 'bout aperns, but guess ifin I didn't know whether I was comin' or goin'... ???

On tother hand, got a couple a possibles on Light a shuck.  I sometimes light a shuck ifin I want ta get from here ta there rite quick.  Ifin its dark, I might even light a corn shuck (literally) ta help me see where I'm shuckin' to.
Capt.
You got it.  Corn shucks were put next to fires in cowboy camps to allow them to light up enough area to get out if camp.  If you've ever turned away from a campfire, then tried to see into the dark (NO WAY)!\
The shuck didn't burn long; so then the term was used to leave quickly.
Russ T. Chambers
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Joyce (AnnieLee)

Apron on backwards:

When a woman is wearing a skirt and shirt and the shirt tail is untucked and hanging out the back, she has "her apron on backwards," meaning she isn't dressed properly.

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Capt. Hamp Cox

Speakin' of aprons...

Grandma's Apron

I don't think our kids know what an apron IS ...

The principle use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a holder for removing hot pans from the oven. It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken-coop the apron was used for carrying eggs,  fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in  the warming oven.

When company came those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids. And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.  Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron. From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled it carried out the hulls. In the fall the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old-time apron" that served so many purposes.

Send this to those who would know, and love the story about Grandma's aprons.

REMEMBER THIS!   
"Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughter's set theirs on the window sill to thaw

Four-Eyed Buck

I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Joyce (AnnieLee)

Well.... my son knows about aprons, and I told him Sarah was my cousin, and her sister is Mrs. Smith.

:D

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Silver Creek Slim

That was great, Capt. Thanks. I'm gonna send it to my ma.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Delmonico

Hey Cosie's wear aprons too.  Look at ma new picture Slim done put on my Avatar. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Four-Eyed Buck

Cain't see his eyes! :o ::)He's a hidin' something :oprobably the castor oil bottle............Buck 8) ::) ;)

Silver Creek Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Russ T Chambers

Ok Slim

Before you're forced to move this one to Tall Tales ::) ;D, let see if'n anyone knows: ???

Leaky mouth.
Russ T. Chambers
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Griff

leaky mouth = one who can't stop talking, or who tells tales that are better served not repeated.
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Patron

Russ T Chambers

Quote from: Griff on February 24, 2005, 11:06:51 PM
leaky mouth = one who can't stop talking, or who tells tales that are better served not repeated.

You got it.

When two such men get together, they "jes' jabber at each other like a couple o' honkers on a new feed ground."
Russ T. Chambers
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Joyce (AnnieLee)

Dang! I knew that one!

Leaky mouth= Delmonico!

< Ducks and runs >

;D  ;D  ;D

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Russ T Chambers

Quote from: AnnieLee on February 25, 2005, 11:02:31 AM
Dang! I knew that one!

Leaky mouth= Delmonico!

< Ducks and runs >

;D  ;D  ;D

AnnieLee

AnnieLee

Does that mean when Del and GG get together they "jes' jabber at each other like a couple o' honkers on a new feed ground."

??? ::) :o ;D ;D ;D
Russ T. Chambers
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Joyce (AnnieLee)

Quote from: Russ T Chambers on February 25, 2005, 11:27:05 AM
Quote from: AnnieLee on February 25, 2005, 11:02:31 AM
Dang! I knew that one!

Leaky mouth= Delmonico!

< Ducks and runs >

;D  ;D  ;D

AnnieLee

AnnieLee

Does that mean when Del and GG get together they "jes' jabber at each other like a couple o' honkers on a new feed ground."

??? ::) :o ;D ;D ;D

Oh, it doesn't have to be Del and GG. It can be Del and me, Del and Slim, Del and a woman waiting at a bus stop...  :D

Del skipped going to lunch with us on Sunday because he was too busy talking.

Oops, am I going off topic, again? Quick add some new phrases!

;)

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady

Four-Eyed Buck

Ya fergot Del and Buck! ;D Yes, please come up with another word........FAST...........Buck 8) ::) :o ;)

Joyce (AnnieLee)

Okie, here's one. It's a quote from a Western:
"They say they're goin' to heel and hide you to a barn door."

What does the "heel" part mean?

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Nasty Lady