Old West Words and Phrases

Started by Capt. Hamp Cox, September 28, 2004, 07:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmonico

So what does that make Slim. ;D ;D 

A sometimes useful tool, but must look at by line or what ever dumb name they call it fer website stuff that comes up on google.

All I know is in my inocencne in learnin these things I didn't know that  I always though rye bread was sumthin' yea eat made outa rye flour.  Silly cosinero. :o :o :o :o and even :o :o :o :o :o
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Silver Creek Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Capt. Hamp Cox

Just ordered a new Dell 'puter so I kin log on to Google faster.  That dang Slim always been beatin' me there and gettin' all the good stuff first, but not any more.  ::)

Delmonico

I ain't googled none of this stuff.  Once in a while go upstairs to MY OFFICE and get a book.  But if this wasn't in wifes craft room I'd never get the laundry done. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Four-Eyed Buck

Cap'n........Dude you're gettin' a Dell!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o..........Buck(  What's got an E-Machine! ;D)........ 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Capt. Hamp Cox

California widow  (Del, this is what you were thinkin' of earlier)

Eucher, euchered

See the elephant

Powerful

Four-Eyed Buck

See the elephant, I belive this was a term that came to be around the Gold Rush/ Civil War era. Means to see or experience something ie: Battle in the War or work in the gold fields. or an experience out of the ordinary. Euchered, in the card game to be euchered is to be set or lose. so, having a plan defeated or an event go wrong or come out differently. I think California Widow would be a woman whose husband went to the Gold Rush leaving her behind.........Buck 8) ::) ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Delmonico

Seein' the elaphant means ya gave up on the trail and went back.  Folks who wrote "Pike's Peak or Bust" on the way out, saw the elaphant and wrote "Busted by Gosh" on the way back in. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Four-Eyed Buck on October 06, 2004, 09:28:39 PM
See the elephant, I belive this was a term that came to be around the Gold Rush/ Civil War era. Means to see or experience something ie: Battle in the War or work in the gold fields. or an experience out of the ordinary. Euchered, in the card game to be euchered is to be set or lose. so, having a plan defeated or an event go wrong or come out differently. I think California Widow would be a woman whose husband went to the Gold Rush leaving her behind.........Buck 8) ::) ::)

Here's what I had on those three.

California widow ~ woman separated from her husband, but not divorced. (From when pioneer men went West, leaving their wives to follow later.)  This is what Del must have been thinking of on the "Grass Widow" from yesterday.

Eucher, euchered ~ to out-smart someone, to be outwitted or suckered into something.

See the elephant ~ originally meant to see combat for the first time, later came to mean going to town, where all the action was.

No takers on "Powerful"?

Capt. Hamp Cox

Balled up

Get it in the neck

Come a cropper

Heeled

Powerful (no one has even guessed at this one)

Silver Creek Slim

Balled up - in need of Ex-lax

Heeled - packin' iron

Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Delmonico

Castor Oil is period correct Slim! ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on October 07, 2004, 09:29:46 AM

Heeled - packin' iron

Slim

Well now Slim, old buddy old pal, gotta give ya credit for yore answer for "Heeled".  Heeled ~ to be armed with a gun. "He wanted to fight me, but I told him I was not heeled."

Howsomever, if ya really think "Balled up" means what you say it does, then I gotta tell ya, you be all balled up yore own self. ::)  Jest sos ya realize it, what I jest toldya is a hint. ;D

These pore ol' sayin's below are startin' ta feel dejected an' rejected, like no body cares 'bout 'em.

Get it in the neck

Come a cropper

Powerful

Russ T Chambers

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on October 07, 2004, 11:47:53 AM

Heeled - packin' iron

Slim

Well now Slim, old buddy old pal, gotta give ya credit for yore answer for "Heeled".  Heeled ~ to be armed with a gun. "He wanted to fight me, but I told him I was not heeled."

Howsomever, if ya really think "Balled up" means what you say it does, then I gotta tell ya, you be all balled up yore own self. ::)  Jest sos ya realize it, what I jest toldya is a hint. ;D

These pore ol' sayin's below are startin' ta feel dejected an' rejected, like no body cares 'bout 'em.

Get it in the neck

Come a cropper

Powerful

Okay we'll give it a try:

Come a cropper  --  fail at an endevor  tried something and it didn't work
Powerful            --  extreme
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Silver Creek Slim

Balled up - cornfused?

:-[ bound up is what I was referring to.  :-[

Slim

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Russ T Chambers on October 07, 2004, 11:55:14 AM
Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on October 07, 2004, 11:47:53 AM

Heeled - packin' iron

Slim

Get it in the neck

Come a cropper

Powerful

Okay we'll give it a try:

Come a cropper  --  fail at an endevor  tried something and it didn't work
Powerful            --  extreme

A hunnert percent, Russ T. 

Come a cropper ~ come to ruin, fail, or fall heavily. "He had big plans to get rich, but it all come a cropper, when the railroad didn't come through."

Powerful ~ very. "He's a powerful rich man."

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on October 07, 2004, 12:14:28 PM
Balled up - cornfused?

Slim

Was tryin' to respond to yore last post and ya went and changed it on me.  Now ya finally got it right. 8)

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on October 07, 2004, 12:24:26 PM
Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on October 07, 2004, 12:14:28 PM
Balled up - cornfused?

Slim

Was tryin' to respond to yore last post and ya went and changed it on me.  Now ya finally got it right. 8)
I'z tricky that way. Keeps ya on yer toes. ;D

Slim

Capt. Hamp Cox

Mudsill

Someone to ride the river with

The Old States

Odd stick

And somebody please put Get it in the neck out of it's misery.

Delmonico

Someone ta ride the river with-someone ya can trust

the old states-back east

get it in the neck-some thing really bad like gettin it in the neck

odd stick- a single person

mud sill- some thing that won't last.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com