Old West Words and Phrases

Started by Capt. Hamp Cox, September 28, 2004, 07:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmonico

On the first day of 2nd grade we had name tags on the assigned desk.  Mine said Glenn Carmen,  "Teacher you misspelled my name."  "Which one?"  "Both." ;D ;D  I don't think she ever liked me.  Course they often misspell my middle one as Du Wayne not Duane. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

litl rooster

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on May 23, 2005, 01:26:05 PM
Quote from: litl rooster on May 20, 2005, 09:08:14 PM
Quote from: Delmonico on May 19, 2005, 12:42:47 PM
Delmoico aka Glen (often misspelled as a Spanish Ladies name. ;D)
???
Carmen

Slim

Slim I was tring to have fun with it....You keep mentioning his last name he'll waltz in here in a flowered skirt and basket of fruit on his head....singing Daeoooooooooooooooooo
Mathew 5.9

Scattered Thumbs

Delmoico aka Glen Carman (often misspelled as a Spanish Ladies name. ;D)

No wonder even you misspell your own alias.  ::)

By the way Carmen is also a lady name in Portugal.

Carmen Miranda was Portuguese.

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: litl rooster on May 23, 2005, 08:31:01 PM
Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on May 23, 2005, 01:26:05 PM
Quote from: litl rooster on May 20, 2005, 09:08:14 PM
Delmoico aka Glen (often misspelled as a Spanish Ladies name. ;D)
???
Carmen

Slim

Slim I was tring to have fun with it....You keep mentioning his last name he'll waltz in here in a flowered skirt and basket of fruit on his head....singing Daeoooooooooooooooooo
:o ;D ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Capt. Hamp Cox

bottomin' the bottle

buffalo juice

Silver Creek Slim

bottomin' the bottle - drinking it dry?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on May 24, 2005, 03:29:57 PM
bottomin' the bottle - drinking it dry?

Slim

Bottomin' the bottle's got nuthin to do with drinkin', 'cause the bottle in question's already empty.  :o

Don't ferget buffalo juice.

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

Judy

Nailed to the counte- A proven lie

Oh-be-joyful - Liquor

Hot as a whorehouse on nickel night- Dammed hot

Flannel Mouth- Smooth fancy talker or saleperson

Pray tell......Do I win a prize if all my answers or right?....I would be happy if someone would just answer one of my post to let me know if someone was out there!! Ha, ha.
Millinery Judy

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: litl rooster on May 25, 2005, 04:02:47 AM
Quote from: Capt. Hamp Cox on May 24, 2005, 02:13:53 PM
bottomin' the bottle

Eye glasses?

Not eyeglasses.  Gotta think marksmanship.

Also, still need an answer for buffalo juice.

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: MillineryJudy on May 25, 2005, 06:04:58 AM
Nailed to the counte- A proven lie

Oh-be-joyful - Liquor

Hot as a whorehouse on nickel night- Dammed hot

Flannel Mouth- Smooth fancy talker or saleperson

Pray tell......Do I win a prize if all my answers or right?....I would be happy if someone would just answer one of my post to let me know if someone was out there!! Ha, ha.

Millinery Judy

Dang, MJ, you went all the way back to the first page of this thread to dredge those up, and they done been answered ;D.  Why dontcha give the newest ones a shot?

Hamp

Four-Eyed Buck

Hitting the bottle with a shot and leaving nothing but the bottom?.....Buck 8) ::) ??? ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Silver Creek Slim

buffalo juice - rendered buffalo suet?

Slim

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Four-Eyed Buck on May 25, 2005, 08:35:20 AM
Hitting the bottle with a shot and leaving nothing but the bottom?.....Buck 8) ::) ??? ;)

You're only about 180 degrees out, Buck.  Here's how "bottomin' the bottle" worked.  You place an empty uncorked/uncapped whisky bottle on an approximately shoulder high flat surface about 15' (or if you're really good with a handgun or really optimistic, make it 20' ;D) from wlhere you're going to shoot.  The bottle is positioned on it's side (remember spin the bottle?) in such a manner that you will be attempting to shoot through the open end of the neck and take out the bottom of the bottle without shattering the neck and body of the bottle.   To add some contemporary guidance, make sure you are shooting into a safe backstop, and wear eye and hearing protection if you attempt this, and be sure to clean up the broken glass :o.

Capt. Hamp Cox

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on May 25, 2005, 08:59:16 AM
buffalo juice - rendered buffalo suet?

Slim

Fraid not, Slim.  It is liquid found in the buffalo's paunch "cleared by the gall, that is prized for drinking, it is cool and tasteless".  Understand that Native Americans and buffalo hunters both utilized this source of liquid refreshment when other water sources were unavailable.

Capt. Hamp Cox

You should all know what two bits, four bits, six bits, etc. are.  What is a "short bit"?

Capt. Hamp Cox

A preferred piece of buffalo meat was called "Indian Bread", and was eaten raw by both Native Americans and buffalo hunters, but didn't taste like raw meat.  It allegedly tasted much like freshly baked bread.  Where on the buffalo carcass was this desirable cut located?

Four-Eyed Buck

Cap, With my eyes, I don't think I'll be attempting to shoot the bottom out through the neck, unless it's a mayonaise bottle!........Buck 8) ::) :o ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Delmonico

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Capt. Hamp Cox

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com