Tater recipes Please

Started by Six Mile, June 23, 2006, 08:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Six Mile

I'm in need of some tater recipes for cooking in the dutch oven... Any and all will be tried out.

Thanks a bunch

Delmonico

Right now I'm not going to be able to get to my cook-books till next week sometime because of rearanging the house, I have soome that go back to the `870's.  But one thing folks often forget or don't even realize is that any recipe can be a dutch oven recipe.  The cookbook I use most often when I use one is a 1955 Betty Crocker one.  Good basic recipes, something the newer books lack.  Give me an idea of a direction you want to go and I'll get what you need that is period if it is possible for that dish to be period.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Six Mile

Well you see that is the problem, I don't know if I am going up or down.   In the Chuckwagon Cookoff we have entered I have been chosen to prepare the spuds and bread.  I think I have the bread whipped but don't have an idea about the spuds.  I know I can always boil and mash or cut and fry them but was thinking of something a little different.  Maybe a roasted tater or something like that.

I think my mother has an old Betty Crocker Cookbook from the 50's or 60's, I'll look it over next time I go there.

I am in no hurry so don't go diggin through your stuff while rearrangin..

Thanks a bunch

Delmonico

To get you started, here is a cookbook collection bigger than mine. 

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/advertising/subject.html

When you get to the main page, type cookbooks into the search, to prevent direct linking to the sight, the links to the site other than the main pages change.   Some are dated, some are not, but by the covers you can pretty well tell which ones are from the 19th century.  If you are on dial-up or have a slow computor it will take a while to down load a page, but most have an index or Table of Contents in them.  Just click on the cover of the one you want to look at and click on the pages as they come up.

If any of these use terms you don't understand, since many are pre-Fanny Farmer, just let me know, I understand most of the period terms.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Camille Eonich

Why don't ya just stew 'em?
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Delmonico

Would work, but hard to win that way.  I'm making a tator dish tommorow, I'll try to write it down so it is a recipe, as soon as I figger out what I'm making. ::)  That's the problem, I can make it up as I go, but to write it down takes a referance sometimes.  There are no written down recipes in my gear and no measuring devices.  Once in a while I scribble some notes and Gopher Grease once in a while scribbles some notes and takes a pint bottle for measuring liquid. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

El Peludo

I have a favorite tater dish that I cook in a glass dish, but I don't see why it wouldn't work in a dutch oven, as well; it's a kind of scalloped potato dish - I call it "Cheesey Spuds".

This is not real specific, because I am not a real specific kind of cook, so take the directions with some open mindedness, and let your experience be your guide.  Experiment, if you're of a mind to, and be adventurous; you never know what you'll dream up.

Aquire several varieties of waxy potatoes - I use white rose, red, blue, purple, Yukon Gold, etc.
Get several varieties of cheeses, butter, milk/cream/buttermilk, salt, pepper, and herbs and spices to your taste.
- Peel, and slice the spuds very thin
- Grease the pan you are going to cook in, and layer the sliced spuds (mix all the varieties together, or layer one variety at a
   time) alternately with the cheeses, (again, mixing all of the cheeses together or layering them separately), seasoning as you go, and
   putting a few pats of butter in every other layer.  Pour milk or/and cream over the top - a cup or so will do for a 9 x 13 dish - and bake
   until the taters are tender to a fork.  Remove the dish from the heat, and let it rest for a bit.
   You may top the dish with grated parmesan cheese, parsley, crumbled bacon, or just about anything else that suits your fancy.
   I have done all, and a few combinations of these, as well as adding various things to the layers, like crumbled bacon, fresh chives,
   or finelychopped green onions, chopped chili peppers, and so on.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Camille Eonich

Quote from: Delmonico on June 23, 2006, 12:18:04 PM
Would work, but hard to win that way. 

Not if I were the judge.  There is a very right way to do stewed taters and a wrong way.  Most do it the wrong way.

I do know my taters.
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Marshal harpoluke

Quote from: Camille Eonich on June 24, 2006, 06:25:40 PM

Not if I were the judge.  There is a very right way to do stewed taters and a wrong way.  Most do it the wrong way.

I do know my taters.

;D

1.  Large Dutch Oven,  2. Ground Beef--leave the fat in, 3 Large diced sweet Onion,  4. Stir fry it all down,  5 Peel N cube (about 1") Potatoes, 6. add to mix cover, simmer down.

add salt, pepper, garlic as needed, Sliced Carrotts too, 7. Red sweet Paprica or Hot if Ya like.

When done, serve.

This is a basic recipe--Ah ain't tellin Ya THE (whisper mode secret ingreadiants) Ya gotta figgure that out on Yer own.
SASS 60019L
NRA Life
CASS
Muckraker
Straight Shooter
Army Veteran
GOFWG#269
LASOOS#35s,
Lookout fur da sheep, packs a 10ga.,
Ya loot, Ah Shoot,
Lord of the Dark Soot,
Prayer Posse,
GoofBall #12

Forty Rod

Get a pan and some water.

Then follow the directions on the box.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Wishbone

What I like to do with potatoes is what is called "River Rock Baked Potatoes." by CW "Butch" Welch.  You put a 2 inch layer of River Rocks in botton of Dutch Oven.  Then put about an inch of water in the DO. Rinse off Spuds & poke a couple of Fork holes in Spuds.  Salt & Pepper Potatoe Skins or use your favorite seasoning on them. Place Spuds on top of Rocks.  Pour the Coals to DO and bake till Done. Water Steaming & Regular Heat makes them Spuds Soft & Fluffy when you cut them open. Top them anyway you want. Wishbone-Ks

Six Mile

Well I gave it a shot yesterday and of course it wasn't great but it was okay for the first effort.  I cut up the potatoes in 2" cubes greased the inside of the Dutch oven and added about a cup of water.  The spices I used were paprika, sage, Mexican Oregeno, ground cumin, salt and pepper...Put it over small amount of coals with a lid full to roast/bake them.  The first sampling it tasted like newspaper.  I didn't remember salt and pepper until they were almost done.  I recomend to not use Mexican Oregeno.. After salt and pepper were added and a scoop of butter mixed in they were not bad but the Mexican Oregeno was over bearing. 

Going to giver another shot in a couple of weeks.   Think I will chop an onion and add some garlic. But I still want to roast/bake them.

Any one got any thoughts??   Any suggestions will be greatly appriciated.

Delmonico

I got to where those period cook books are the other day, will see what looks good next week.  Got a bag of 'tators in the truck right now, will see what I can come up with tommorow or Tuesday. 

With potatoes dill weed is often your friend and a common herb in home herb gardens.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico

BTT  I did this because I got busy and forgot it, will get some to ya, sorry I forgot pard.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

creek johnson

Six Mile, I have a tater recipe that is a dang good one!

12" deep oven
approx. 8 lbs. russet taters scrubbed and sliced 1/8" thick
1 lb bacon
3 lbs onions chopped
approx. 1-1/2 lbs. grated cheese, cheddar and jack
1/2 can of dark beer
salt, lemon pepper, red chilli flakes, mrs. dashes seasoning

In the d/o cook bacon until about 3/4 done and remove fron oven,
pour off some of the grease but keep handy, brown your onions, add a little grease if needed,
remove onions from the d/o, remove the oven from the heat while assy.
lay a single layer of bacon in the bottom of your oven, lay in about half of your taters add salt, pepper chilli flakes and sesonings, add a lyer of onions and cheese, lay in the remaining taters, add sesonings again and onions BUT NO CHEESE.
pour in 1/2 can of beer arourd the edges, the other half goes to the cook.
put the lid on use 12 bricketts on the bottom and 24 on top and cook for a min. of 1-1/2 hrs DO NOT LIFT THE LID!!!!!. When time is up remove from the coals lift the lid add a layer of cheese put the lid back on for about 5 min. Whack that bell and enjoy.

If you cut your taters ahead and put in water make sure you drain them very well you don't want any extra water in the oven or you taters will be soggy.

Beans

off the net
Byron's Dutch Oven Potatoes
1 lb. thick slice bacon (1) 10 ½ oz. can cheddar cheese soup
2 med. yellow onions; sliced 1 cup sour cream
5 cloves garlic; minced 2 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms; sliced 1 Tbs. Soy sauce
15 medium potatoes; peeled & sliced   salt and pepper to taste
(1) 10 ½ oz. can cream of chicken soup     

Heat a 12" deep Dutch oven using 18-20 briquettes bottom until oven is hot. Cut bacon into 1 inch slices and place in oven and fry until brown. Add onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Stir, then cover and cook until onions are translucent. Add potatoes. In a large bowl combine remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour soup mixture over potatoes and stir until all potatoes are coated. Cover and cook 60 minutes using 10-12 briquettes bottom and 12-14 briquettes top heat. Stir pot gently every 15 minutes.

Serves: 12

Beans

off the net
INGREDIENTS:
10 to 12 potatoes
5 to 6 slices bacon
2 to 3 carrots
1 large onion
salt and pepper, to taste
PREPARATION:
Cook 5 or 6 slices of bacon in your dutch oven. Save bacon drippings. Peel and slice 10 - 12 potatoes and a few carrots. Slice a large onion. After bacon is cooked, add the vegetables. Cook until tender. You will need to stir them occasionally.
Season to taste.
posted by Karlyn
Related Recipes

Beans

A camping recipe from bigdaddy. The aroma during baking is to die for. My children and wife just love this dish. When camping I cook over the fire in a Dutch oven. Make these as a dish along side that juicy steak or even with a hamburger. You wont be disappointed.
INGREDIENTS:
red potatoes
margarine
garlic salt or garlic powder
steak salt
Italian seasoning (optional)
Pam cooking spray
olive oil
PREPARATION:
Dice the potatoes. I would recommend at least 4 or 5 per person. If you are going to bake them in a camper oven, spray a cookie sheet with Pam. If you are using a Dutch oven, I would use a little extra virgin olive oil.

Place the potatoes on the sheet or in the Dutch oven. Pack them in, it won't hurt a bit. Put on dabs of margarine, no set amount, enough to keep the potatoes moist during baking. I use the squeeze bottles of margarine for this. Season liberally with garlic powder or garlic salt according to taste. If you love garlic like we do, we shake on the garlic powder until we think it's enough, and then put on about half as much more. Add some steak salt and Italian seasoning, if you like. Bake at 350 degrees. I have never really timed this to see how long it takes, but my guess would be 1/2 hour. About halfway through turn the potatoes using a spoon or spatula, taste, add seasoning and/or margarine if needed, and finish baking. They are done when soft.
Servings: as needed

Wishbone

In all chuckwagon Cookoffs I been to or helped cook at,  all Wagons are furnished the Food. Meat Potatoes, Flour,Oil Fruit (Fresh or Dried) Beans, Milk & several other things. The one in May of 2006 I helped every Wagon were given 40 Chicken Fry Steaks all ready cut up & run through a Tenderizer machine. Each Wagon prepaired food for 40 Meals that were sold to the Public. The Wagon I help cook back in May have a whole cupboard of Spices & flavorings. I asked Becky where something was when I was making a cobbler. She said look in the Illeagal box.  Its a box of Modern things used for cooking but not Period Corect. You can use but must be put away & out of Site, like Coleman Coolers are kept in the sleeping tents.  I seen a fellow Slice & Deep potatoes about 1/2 done then Layered them in his dutch oven with Oonions sliced halapeno peppers & some other stuff & finished them off by Baking them. Got First Place at World Championship in Potatoes at Ruidosa,NM. Wishbone-Ks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com