Author Topic: The 4 clicks  (Read 5739 times)

Offline rbgfishboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The 4 clicks
« on: April 12, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »
Hey folks, I'm curious about something, and I hope someone knows the answer. First, a little background. I own two Uberti single action revolvers, one El Patron .357 magnum, and one made for Navy Arms in .45 Colt. These guns have had actions jobs are are nice and smooth, and I love shooting them. I happened to stop by a local gun shop earlier today, and saw an American Western Arms Peacemaker, which was a consignment gun. I took a look at it and cocked the hammer, at which time I heard the nicest, most pronounced 4 clicks that I have heard on any colt clone I have ever handled. So here is my question - how can I get my two guns to click as loud and pronounced as this Peacekeeper? This gun is as smooth as mine are, so how did they get those clicks so good? If someone knows how it's done, I would really appreciate finding out if it is something I can do to my guns. Thanks!

Offline Paladin UK

• UK`s 1st Warthog
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Have Gun.. "Might Travel"
    • White Knight Ranch... Homestead of Paladin UK
  • Liked:
Re: The 4 clicks
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 01:36:55 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Paladin (Sorry pard couldn't resist the temptation  :)  ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
 MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:01:59 PM »
In doing the action jobs on your guns the ginsmith probably lightened the hammer spring and both the bolt spring and the trigger springs. this would of course lessen the tension on those parts and reduce the sounds that they make when they fall into place. If you really want to undo the action job you can make those guns click as loud as you want to, and if you rteally want to have loud clicka AND an action job, you'll have to find one of those multi-hundred dollar action job gunsmiths. Now you kn0w why those A.W. revolvers go for the prices that they do go for.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:08:30 PM »

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 06:44:45 PM »
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 07:25:07 PM »
HA,,HA,,HA,,HA,,Pal-Pal-Paladin,,,now that picture fits,,love good humor.

Hootmix.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 08:43:16 PM »

Well ..... In all the years I've been tuning SASS Guns and Single Actions in general, I've never been asked for ...... Clicks.  Smooth, fast, light, stuff like that but not .... Clicks.

The clicks you describe are caused by the Trigger snapping against the hammer as it passes over the ledge for:  1 - the Safety notch, then the Half Cock or Loading notch, then the Bolt Rising, and Full Cock ledge.  Sometimes the Bolt Rise and Full Cock are reversed.  The loudness and or sharpness of the Click is a product of the trigger coming off the ledges as powered by the Trigger/Bolt spring.  The sharpness of the sound is dependent on a clean departure from the ledge (sharp edge) and a potent Trigger/Bolt spring.  Mostly on the spring.  Same applies to the Bolt snapping up into the lead.
Now, the Trigger/Bolt spring is about 30% of the hammer draw weight and normally when a gun is tuned for CAS we reduce the T/B spring to reduce the hammer draw resistance.  The main spring is also reduced.
So .... To get those nice snappy clicks, the hammer ledges need to be sharp and you need a "heavy" Trigger/Bolt spring.  You will also give up some of a light hammer draw.  This will also serve to increase the wear on the hammer ledges, the trigger sear, the Bolt and the bolt notches in the cylinder.
All you need is a small "safe side" file, a machinists square and some heavy T/B springs.  Plus, for 4 distinct "Clicks" the timing needs to be spot on. 
DO NOT remove a lot of metal from ANYTHING or you'll be buying lots of shiny new parts.

Coffinmaker

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 04:09:47 PM »
You count 4 you'll never hear the man click 3 >:(  ;)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline rbgfishboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 06:05:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies, especially the funny ones. Thanks to coffinmaker also for the explanation, which is what I was looking for. I'm sure that Peacekeeper had some spot on filing and shaping of parts to sound so crisp yet still have such a light hammer pull. IF I attempt to do some shaping and filing, I will be extremely careful.

Thanks again for the replies!

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 10:24:31 AM »
Danger Will Robinson, Danger!  Removing metal from any Uberti's trigger or hammer surfaces is not a good idea.  Uberti parts are only surface hardened.  If you penetrate the hardening (which is very thin, a FEW thousands of an inch thick) the parts will wear out VERY quickly.  You can't hear or feel the clicks when you are shooting.  Don't ruin what you have, shoot it and have fun.  One of the reasons to do an action job on a Uberti rifle or pistol is to eliminate friction on the parts and reduce the chances of wearing through the surface hardening.

Offline rbgfishboy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »
Pettifogger - I'm with ya! I'm leaving her alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com